All reviews venison meat and fish main building roman ruins on display one way system mussels sunday lunch crevettes main course two courses booked a table car park staff were attentive lovely atmosphere the blue room wine list
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Lovely stay, Great food, Clean rooms, Superb hotel and friendly atmosphere , Only stayed two nights, Near pubs and golf courses.Rooms include tea/coffee good size bathroom, tv and good size beds.Parking excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank colin t
Reviewed April 4, 2012

A establishment that seems to have its seasoned followers and 'haters', with very little inbetween. Arriving on Wednesday lunch time at 1.40, without booking we were assured of a table,and sure enough a table was found ( for 7 i might add) Astonishingly over 160 diners had already eaten that service, most Restaurants would die for that type of custom on a Saturday night! I can see why it receives some bad press and perhaps i am biased because i know exactly what to expect, but i couldnt fault a thing! Beautifully fresh fish cooked to perfection. You are not coming to the Priory for a Fine Dining Experience, there is no linen, no table cloth and ok its not cheap, but these boys do a great job. Anyone in business should acknowledge success. Restaurant review only!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank felipej
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Went here with a group of friends - table booked for 2030, got to sit down by 2120. All of us driving so not drinking so bar staff seemed put out of place when we asked for soft drinks. We have never been here before so had to ask what to do - point at a sort of deli counter and said pick something. So we all trooped over, taken aback by prices. The choice was great and lots of fish. The service from the guy here was great.

Back at the table the starters arrived, massive pile of shrimps, which I had to de-shell myself by the time I had done this the generous meal seemed tiny! No bread offered, but enjoyed the starter. Then the mains arrived luke warm and by the time the accompaniments arrived everything was cold - but did want to make a fuss so eat the food which was nice.

had dessert - apple tart which arrived with huge spoon so I asked for fork - another huff and I had a knife. So I asked again for a fork from another waiter, which earned us a huff!

We had coffee, one tiny jug of milk and I drink tea so like lots lots of milk. So asked for more that's right another huff!

To be honest food was nice and I don't mind paying more for this. But I was made to feel by the staff that I was luck to be there, lucky to have a table and most of lucky that they could be bothered to service us.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank LIZARD666
Reviewed March 23, 2012

In fact I’d rather eat anywhere apart from here. It’s my own fault really as last time I was here I had an awful meal a well.

Unfortunately for the Priory the problems are multiple. It could be great but due to a true lack of competition (thankfully the Snugg and the Goldcroft are now open) the standards have slipped dramatically, unlike the prices.

The food is genuinely at a poor level, the food is often overcooked, incorrectly seasoned and the presentation resembles my 3 year olds finger paintings. I couldn’t stress hard enough to give this place a miss if you’re looking to treat someone or yourself.

The only saving grace is that it’s OK for drink but that’s it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Frodo186463
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed in the priory for 1 week business trip: my company paid so I skip the "quality/price" comment/review.

It's nice place, room was ok, average/ decent. A bit old looking.

Breakfast was good (choice of continental or english breakfast)
But the main asset of that place is the food: there's a lot of fresh products on display, choices of English and Spanish stuffs: meat, fishes, vegetables...

I would say it's good place- But the review only range from "average to very good".
Because I did not pay I would stick to "average", as I suppose if I would have pocketed approx 100pounds I would be a bit more picky.

The town of Carleon is nice, quiet, and has a few things to visit (museum, ruins, etc...).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business