“What a wonderful Pyrenean gem!”

Les loges du Jardin d'Aymeric
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Clara
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
North west
“What a wonderful Pyrenean gem!”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My partner and I ate here in 2010 and we are going back in 2012. We stayed the night and enjoyed a 7 course meal for more than good value than other more pompous eating establishments. It was delicious and the service and surroundings were perfect and idyllic! A true find!

• Visited July 2011

Hambledon, United Kingdom
“Lovely food - almost too much of it!”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We were staying in the gorgeous Gite King in nearby La Sacristie and wanted somewhere special to go for an anniversary dinner. Locals suggested this restaurant so we headed further up into the hills. Clara is one of the last villages before Canigou proper begins so it was very beautiful up there and we were lucky as it was a gloriously warm evening.
The restaurant building is very attractive with beautiful mosaics on the outside and tastefully decorated within although the lighting was a bit on the bright side for our tastes.
We chose the menu gastronomique which gives no options - you get whatever is freshest and best of the local produce currently available and it's adjusted throughout the year.
The food was delicious and inventive but there was quite a lot of it and by the end I felt quite uncomfortably stuffed so perhaps less is more in this case!
Was surprised to hear the review by the lady who's party felt the service was poor as we found it to be good - there's only him doing the cooking and her doing the serving so it must be incredibly hard work to balance but she was pleasant and took the time to explain each course. When we were choosing wines she explained that the meal had been designed to be drunk with a good local rose but she knew the English often didn't like rose so we could have red & white. I genuinely believe she was trying to be helpful but I can see how comments could come across the wrong way.
All in all, a great evening and look forward to visiting again next year when the restaurant has matured further.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Janetyjanet
Paris, France
“Food okay but the most uncomfortable evening I have ever had in a restaurant”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

What a disappointment. We were a family party of 6 adults and one child and this restaurant came highly recommended from another local restaurant.

The menu (if you did not go for the 55 euros tasting menu which everyone on the table had to go for) had only 2 options for each course. We are all adventurous eaters but when, for one course, the choice is only between monkfish liver or a beef cheek and oyster terrine it did seem rather limited. The monkfish liver, when it arrived, made me and my mother want to be physically sick and we both normally enjoy liver. The accompanying bread was dry and rock hard with a bitter olive tapenade. To be honest, the liver rather finished us off for the evening as we could not get rid of the taste in our mouths (imagine trying to eat a meal after swallowing some cod-liver oil) so it made the next course's veal canneloni and sweetbreads (glands) a little hard to swallow. Some of our party did enjoy parts of their meal, good white-fish main, delicate black rice rissotto and a lovely home-made ice-cream - but the overall impression was negative. Thankfully, prices were not extortionate and I suppose if you struck lucky and got a wonderful 2 choices for each part of the menu, you would be happy to pay your 36 euros.

However, the really awful part of the evening that made me want to leave the moment we arrived was the service. The front of house is run and manned by the chef's wife/girlfriend who seems incredibly adept at making one feel like a complete and utter idiot. We ordered a coca-cola for the 10-year old in our party and she told us that "we obviously did not understand the restaurant" as coca-cola was not available. The fruit juices that were on offer were bottled and my niece's glass was full of small black flies. I ordered some Kirs as our aperitif only to be instructed that "no, in France, you should drink sweet wine from the region for your aperitif". I suggested otherwise and our drinks were presented with a flounce. When our food order was taken, we had to put and hold our hands in the air as if we were back at school. My 10-year old niece asked for butter for her rock-hard bread - the waitress refused to bring it. Upon the collection of my unfinished monkfish liver I was told I did "not understand how a gastronomic restaurant worked". I was surprised to find such horrific service in an area of France were normally everyone is so friendly; I was less surprised to find out that she was from Paris. The majority of our parties were French speakers so you could not even say that she was cross for having to serve a party of solely Anglophones and, anyway, that shouldn't make a inch of difference.

It was a truly awful evening and, if your idea of eating out is to have a wonderful meal and be made to feel welcome, relaxed and valued as a customer, I would suggest staying away from here and heading to El Tasser in the neighbouring village of Taurinya - FABULOUS.

The 2 stars given here are for the parts of the meal that did taste nice, for the brilliant wine list (although hard not to have a good list in this part of the country) and the average/good price of the food. However, I feel that in no way can compensate for the awful, AWFUL service.

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank katerina1983
Ria Sirach, France
“Great Restaurant- hidden in this tiny village”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We went for a special family meal and had booked ahead, letting them know that we had a vegetarian in the party. They adjusted the menu accordingly. The food was great, the service was great, the atmosphere was great. The price for what we got was amazing.

• Visited November 2010