“Decent food, dodgy customers”
Review of Three Tuns

Three Tuns
Waterbeach, United Kingdom
“Decent food, dodgy customers”
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I visited the three tuns pub in Abington a few weeks ago having been recommended by some friends as they said the Thai food was lovely. The food was great. My wife had the sesame beef starter which I wish I'd had! The pork toast was equally enjoyable. Our mains where brilliant. I can particularly recommend the chow mein....it's tastes great and there's loads of it. The waitresses where polite and diligent.

If only I can end my review here it would be 4-5 stars.

After we had finished our meal we decided to have a drink outside (and so we could smoke - guilty!) and it was at that point our evening took a turn for the worse. There was a group of maybe 10 to 15 teenagers (who one hopes where at drinking age) who where utterly foul mouthed, continuously swearing and aggressive with each other. There were even girls arguing and threatening to beat each other up. It was horrible. It was so bad that my wife felt extremely uncomfortable and even threatened. The final straw was when the landlord came out and started to speak to them at which point we assumed he would ask them to calm down. Instead he was equally rowdy with them. It seems therefore that this is the type of pub/restaurant he wants to run. A far cry from the quiet village setting we were expecting and looking forward too.

Whilst the food was very good the entire evening was ruined by the inner city Wetherspoons vibe that the pub seems to harbour front of house.

We will not be returning and I simply cannot recommend it as a result.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anthony B
adotested, Owner at Three Tuns, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed our food and most of your evening. We have checked back on CCTV and have dealt with the people concerned that caused you upset during your visit, we would like to stress that the situation you witnessed is not normal for our establishment. The person you saw, who you thought was the Landlord, was not, as that particular evening was the night that the Landlord's mother passed away and he was not there. We hope that you will be able to visit us again and experience our pub in its normal friendly atmosphere.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Zonhoven, Belgium
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed over with another couple, had a wonderfull time, the friendly atmosphere and the local color in the pub and the restaurant (great thai food), friendly hosting, very nice rooms. Great golf in the area (Saffron Walden and Gog Magog). It was my 4th visit and it will not be my last...
Greatings from Wim and Hilde from Belgium

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wim H
}���S��
Reviewed August 8, 2012

New, clean and tidy room with everthing you need - parking, wifi, powerful shower, good quality cotton bedding, huge tv and hairdryer.

Cant really fault this pub b&b and also the Thai food is fab if you are around in the evening.

Didn't require a deposit either, so all round a good find.

Room Tip: Stay for the generous breakfast, you won't need lunch!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank unison22
Essex
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I recently stayed at the Three Tuns in Abington as I had a wedding to attend to. Our party consisted of about 25 people and when we arrived we were ordered by the landlord to take our seats as he had another table booked and wanted us to basically hurry up.

The Thai food came out which was absolutely disgusting. So bad infact I couldn't even eat it as many other people and had to return it to the kitchen. It was so bad, I wouldn't of even served it up to my dog.

Now the landlord of this pub. I can't put into words how rude and loud this landlord is. It's like his doing us a favour even though we're putting money into his pocket (and on this night, it wouldn't of been shy of £2k).

Towards the end of the night, he refused to serve our party anymore drinks and someone within the group ACCIDENTALLY knocked a glass over and it smashed. He wasn't too pleased about cleaning the mess up and even ask the person that knocked it over to clear it up. When that person refused, he then went on to refuse us drinks.

This "landlord" serioualy needs to change his attitude towards his customers otherwise he won't have any customers left to moan at. If you don't like serving people - then don't be a landlord.

The rooms were ok'ish. The single beds were tiny (about the width of a canoe) and for some reason there were naked pictures of "art" on the walls of women.....in my opioion very unprofessional and weird.

I'll finish this up by saying that anyone thinking of staying at the Three Tuns in Abington......DON'T!. You won't like, you'll be spoken to awfully and then this landlord will charge you for it at the end. There are plenty of other nice hotels in Cambridge city centre which is about a 20 minute drive from Abington.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank David C
kinver
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed here for the fist time July 11th 2012, rooms were amazing , done to a very high standard,clean, fresh, pure quality!! Ate in the restaurant, food was gorgeous, staff friendly and helpful, reasonable too! i would highly reccomend a stay here and will be back next time i visit the area.
would just like to add a thank you , for posting back my left behind pillow:)).. many thanks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kim H
Lewes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed here this weekend. We were charged £150 a night for a very average room. Friends had to pay £200 a night as their room was slightly larger. Prices had been ridiculously hiked up due to a local airshow apparently! There is no way on earth the prices should have been this high. Shocking. Also laughable nude/erotic photos in the room gave us a good giggle but should probably be replaced.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank CPeters78
magdalen, norfolk
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Have not stayed here but have eaten the Thai food here with friends. Pretty good. But the man behind the bar (probably the landlord) rather loud. Reluctant to split our bill (our monthly eating out bill totals £70 - £80) and brusque to the point of rudeness. Shan't go again because of him.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in Bartlow
The Black Bull Balsham
The Black Bull Balsham
#1 of 2 in Balsham

Been to Three Tuns? Share your experiences!