“Nature, Peace and Romance”

The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Reviewed December 4, 2013

So the plan was to visit Koh Samui on our honeymoon, but didnt want to travel up and down all the days. So stayed in this quieter part of the island for a couple of days and the other couple in the more happening part...

The rooms here have a jacuzzi inside the room which was a pleasant surprise, the food was good and beach is pristine white sand. The hotel also arranged bikes for us( and not at the typical hotel rates).

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Prabhu1984
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Wanderer1784,

Thank you for taking the time sharing your holiday experience at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa Taling Ngam. It is such a joy to read your review. I have got more delighted to know that the our facilities and quality of culinary were up to your expectation.

Should you wish to return to Koh Samui in the future, please kindly let us know. We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed there for one week and have enjoyed every minute! The staff is very friendly and charming beside the exzellent food we can more than recommend the SPA (worldclass).
The Beach Villas are a special experience and perfectly equipped. If you are looking for
A lovely Hotel on a beutiful spot providing a fine servic, this is the place.

Room Tip: Beach Villa
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Harry B
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Dear Harry B,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking your time sharing the pleasant review on TripAdvisor.

We are thrilled to know that we enjoyed our services and products. The most important thing is that we are delighted that our team members could contribute you an unforgettable holiday.

It would be our honor to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family stayed here for 15 days and had an overall great time.We did not get to experience a lot of things that this hotel offers because we like to move around, but what we did experience it was great.The staff is really nice and always ready to help.Breakfast is gooood.You have to tray cocounat jam.:-)The only remark is about the beach.It could be cleaner.On the other hand, they bring you fruit on the beach for free, you have bottlles of water at disposal all the time...Yes, this really is a nice hotel.I would and will recommend it to my friends.Amon,Yan,Cake...you made our girl and us feel so welcome here.Thank you.Keep on the good work you are doing.

• Stayed: November 2013
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Dear VillageNiki16,

Thank you very much for your positive review. It is such a pleasure to know you had a memorable experience during your stay.

I am particularly pleased that the services provided by our dedicated team were the highlight of your stay.

The team looks forward to welcoming you back to Samui soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

My boyfriend (see amazing man after the review below) and I decided to celebrate my birthday in Koh Samui and when we were looking for hotels online, we immediately booked this hotel as we already liked it very much. We stayed for 2 nights in November.

My boyfriend has apparently worked with Aom and Nok in preparing something special as we got to the hotel and checked in on my birthday. We went in our very lovely room and found it very beautifully decorated with flowers on the bed and the jacuzzi, napkin arrangements and a cake waiting just for me.

It felt like our very own private resort as there were hardly anyone there due to it being the low season. Some rains but they normally didn't last long and during which we would either just enjoy the jacuzzi in our room or a Thai massage in their spa.

We had our private dinner the next day on the beach (very happy the weather cooperated!) and enjoyed fireworks and sky lanterns from the nearby resort.

This side of the island is very quite and quite far from where the bars/livelier resorts are. You could either hire a car for the day to get around easily. We hired a motorbike for THB 300/day and was able to go around the island twice the whole day. We were able to visit landmarks, the waterfall, zip lines from the mountains which we enjoyed the amazing view from and bars at night (careful driving at night though as it can be very dark at night and very difficult to see the roads and wear a jacket, I was freezing!!). A bike would be easier to get through side streets.

Again, a special shout out to Aom and Nok who have been amazing our entire stay there (and even before getting there!) Overall an amazing weekend, thank you for making my birthday extra special. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The beach villas look amazing if you're travelling as a group/family but for couples, you will d...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear EydeeHunter,

Thank you for choosing The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa Taling Ngam and for sharing your memorable experience with us.

We are more than happy to know that we were the part of your extraordinary holiday. The big compliments for Aom and Nok had been passed to them and that did put big smiles on their faces.

Your delightful review certainly brings the whole team high motivation and passion and we will always ensure to work harder to exceed our guest’s expectation and beyond.

Again, thank you very much for making our days and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days between 5th and 10th November before heading over to Koh Phangan.
As it was in a remote location we emailed ahead and asked for transfers from the airport to the hotel which I would strongly advise doing as it was a 40 minute drive to the hotel!
We arrived at Koh Samui airport after an 18 hour flight from Madrid so we were both very tired. When we came out with our cases there was a man holding my name up who greeted us and quickly got the car. He also had 2 very cold bottles of water and 2 refreshing cold towels for us waiting in the car! A nice touch I thought.
When we arrived at the hotel the manager greeted us with a cold Thai drink and we were shown to our room which was very nice.
We opted for the deluxe jacuzzi room (104). It had lovely views over the pool and over the gulf of Thailand.
There was free fruit in the room and their own branded water is free. If you want anything else from the mini bar then you will pay over the odds but it's well stocked with beer, wine, coke, sprite and there are even a selection of small bottles of whisky, vodka and gin.
The indoor jacuzzi was a real bonus. We used it every day but make sure to fill it right up otherwise you risk the water being jettisoned over the room!
There are also 2 activities on every day from Palm leaf folding to Thai language lessons to Thai boxing. We never took advantage of these as it was just too hot!
The resort itself was very clean and well maintained. Always plenty of towels available for you to sunbathe either by the pool or on the beach.
Drinks and food can be quite expensive from the bar and restaurant unless its happy hour(s) which were 12-1pm, 5-6pm and 9-10pm which was 50% off beers and cocktails.
We tended to eat at a little restaurant down the road called I-Talay which was lovely and cheaper than the hotel but bare in mind they will shut at 9pm and last orders are 8:30.

Some tips.
Breakfast is from 6:30 to 10:30 and not 11am as stated in the in room directory! We turned up at 10:30 one morning (still getting used to the time difference) to find everything cleared away but when we pointed the anomaly to the hotel they were very accommodating and allowed us to order what we wanted.

There are free push bikes you can borrow from the hotel as well. There is a 7/11 about 3km away where we stocked up on some cheaper supplies (beers, snacks toothpaste etc) There is also a cash machine here.

If you are travelling this time of year, expect it to rain! It rained every day but it's not that inconvenient and only lasts for short times, maybe 1 hour. But you don't mind swimming in the pool (which was very warm) when it's raining.

It is very remote! Besides the restaurant we ate in the nearest one was a 20 minute walk in the other direction and their prices do take advantage of the remote location.

Overall a very nice place to stay and if I returned to Koh Samui I would stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank Jannettaphil
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Jannettaphil,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review on your recent stay at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa Taling Ngam.

It is always motivating to hear that you enjoyed our many of our facilities and activities and have so many positive things to say. It is much appreciated and I will definitely share your kind words with all the staff.

Should you plan on returning to Samui, please do let me know so I can assist with the arrangement.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

The breakfast was excellent, people so nice, a small gym on the top with a breathtaking view of the seaside and sunset... The room with a jacuzzi and a balcony where enjoy the sunset.. Quiet and relaxing.. Nice pool..

• Stayed: November 2013
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Fabrizio F,

Thank you for choosing The Sunset Beach Resort and Spa Taling Ngam and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our facilities contributed an unforgettable holiday. The Team looks forward to welcoming you back to Samui in the hopefully not too distant future.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived here after two weeks of slumming it on Thailand's beaches and I have to say it was one of the strangest, worst experiences of the trip. I'm not sure what went wrong for us since the reviews are so great compared to our experience and we were so disappointed. I wasn't sure how to even review this place, as we were there in June.

I will just highlight some of the issues we had, as nothing seemed to go right.

Before going to Thailand, we were told about the motorcycle scams (hotels stealing the keys or helmets, etc and having bad bikes that break down and the owner charging you 10,000+ baht to fix it). One of our weirdest situations at the hotel was when we rented a scooter directly from them and we had a great time driving it around Koh Samui to explore since the hotel's location was not that great. We had the scooter for 2 days and after the first day, we left the key attached to one of the helmets so we knew where it was in the morning. The next morning after breakfast we returned to the room after housekeeping had been there. We were going to take the scooter to some temples that day and the key was no longer with the helmets. We immediately went to the front desk to inform them. We went through all our luggage, clothes, towels, etc. They refused to have housekeeping check the trash and the laundry saying they would have noticed. They were incredibly rude about the situation and long story short, attempted to charge us almost $100 for the key. The whole situation was SO fishy and they forced us to speak with the owner of the scooter, who was apparently not even affiliated with the hotel and spoke no English. The woman screamed at us for thirty two minutes, literally, I counted. My boyfriend was so upset that he informed the hotel that this behavior was not acceptable and he was wasting so much money to pay for the key that we had kept in a safe place.

After a while of arguing, the hotel was nice enough to give us two complimentary spa treatments (which were excellent) as well as a sunset dinner. Unfortunately, it rained so we had dinner at the restaurant. When we got to dinner, we were finally over the situation, as the hotel had been kind in their apology. The concierge then came over to our table and started asking about what happened. We thought he was just going to apologize so we said it was just a bad situation but was over now. He then pushed the subject and said we were wrong, we were lying and he was defending the hotel. Here we are, eating a romantic meal and the concierge is causing a huge scene. I told him to please leave us in peace and he kept talking so I got up to leave. My boyfriend told him he ruined our evening and he should be ashamed of himself. We ended up with two free bottles of wine and a cake in the room.

We were leaving the next day, thank God. What a bizarre place. They forced us to pay $100 when they ended up spending way over that to apologize for their despicable behavior.

If you do stay here, do NOT rent the scooters, do not trust the management to be professional and do not eat at their overpriced restaurant. We found the cutest little place down the road called I - Talay Nasai Garden (check out my review if you're interested). Honestly, I- Talay was the only redeeming quality of this place.

Room Tip: Splurge on the little private villas
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MLE91
SSBR, Resort Manager at The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear MLE91,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. However, I regret to hear of the disappointment aspects regarding to the motorbike key and communication issues.

I apologized that your holiday did not go well as planned and we wished we could have sorted out this issue for you better at that time.

Again, thank you for your valued feedbacks and I do hope that you shall not allow these few incidents to damage your perception of our resort.

I sincerely hope you will consider a return visit in the future as we would like to welcome you once again to deliver you the memorable and relaxing island holiday experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taling Ngam
SENSIMAR Koh Samui Resort and Spa
Code
Code
#2 of 30 in Mae Nam

Been to The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam? Share your experiences!