We stayed at this lovely hotel for 3 weeks in January and had a fantastic time. We knew it was fairly isolated but that’s perfect for us. We emailed the hotel prior to arrival and request a high room- they were quick to respond. We had a Sunset Jacuzzi suite on the top floor (room 10) that gave breathtaking views of the sunset from the balcony. Rooms are large enough, cleaned twice a day and the bed comfortable; the toilet is though perhaps a little intimate especially when getting used to the Thai diet! Breakfast is good and available from 0630-1100hrs. Lunch menu is varied and I loved the Caesar Salad. We did find the prices quite high and sometimes the food in the evening was only lukewarm. There are other places to eat near the hotel which are cheaper (see reviews). Henrik the manager is very personable and makes himself known to the guests. All the staff work very hard and have wonderful smiles, I remember in particular Cha in the restaurant, the beautiful Palm, M and Jaew who do the breakfast, Muay and Amp on reception, and best smile was from Nek who helps with the gardens and keeps the sand in order on the beach. The beach was great and so stress free- no having to get up early to get a beach bed, as it is a small hotel, there were always plenty as people who stayed in the Garden or Beach Villas tended to come out later. Forget snorkelling though, as although the water looks clear it is quite cloudy/dusty and the fish are small and timid. We did a boat trip from the hotel to Koh Tan and this was only a bit better. The water though is so warm. The beach is nice to walk along or take one of the kayaks, row for about 20 minutes to the left past the pier, past the 5 Islands restaurant with their green flags on the beach, past the little fishing harbour and you will find deserted coves with the most beautiful sand and utmost privacy. Alternatively take one of the hotel bicycles and the 7/11 is only 15 minutes if you head left out of the hotel, if you go right you will come across a temple with a mummified monk- just leave a donation. We didn’t hire a moped, we saw plenty of skin injuries as a result of accidents, mostly white tourists who haven’t ridden before. The legal age in Thailand to ride is 14, but we saw younger riders and as many as 5 people on 1 moped. We both ride considerably bigger bikes in the UK but just couldn’t risk getting injured. The hotel does do a 100 baht shuttle to Lamai and Nathon, but you have to pay considerably more to get back. It is possible to hire a taxi for 500 baht an hour and do a tour of the whole island. There is free wifi and a computer for guest use. Happy hour for drinks was the same time as the sunset 1700-1830hrs, and the Spa was from 1000-1400hrs I would recommend reflexology and head massage which was good hour and 500 baht..
I’ve given the hotel 5 stars because the staff and service was exceptional and the experience was a great introduction to Thailand, its lovely people and laid back way of life. It was the perfect R and R that we needed from our stressful jobs. My only tips would be take plenty of mosquito spray and a high factor sun cream.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury boutique resort and spa located directly on the beach front commanding spectacular views of the Koh Samui coast and nearby islands, Sunset Beach Resort & Spa's superbly appointed beachfront villas and sunset rooms sit amidst our private, tranquil spa and gardens where the only sound is the gentle rhythm of the sea. The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam offers 21 uniquely decorated rooms and villas. Sunset rooms are located above reception in a two storey building. Garden villas are positioned around the swimming pool and of course the beach front villas are right by the sand and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam Hotel Taling Ngam
- The Sunset Beach Resort And Spa, Taling Ngam
- Ban Sabai Sunset Beach Hotel
- The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam Ko Samui