“Amazing sunsets in Paradise”

The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Budapest, Hungary
“Amazing sunsets in Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

What can I say about the week we spent in Sunset beach resort? It was AMAZING, a lifetime experience. Six of us have travelled to Ko Samui after 4 days in Bangkok, and we could not find words when we arrived. The hotel, the staff and rooms have been really-really fabolous! We have been welcomed by the general manager Chat, who was very friendly and caring throughout our stay. We have received welcome drinks and some information about the hotel and the surroundings.

Rooms
We had 3 sunset rooms next to eachother on the upper floor, all of them with jacuzzi, big bed, two washbasins, television, dvd player and balcony. The rooms were spaciuos and clean, also equipped with air conditioning, which was very useful. The balcony has looked over the pool, the palmtrees and the sea, we liked it a lot.

Staff
They were really friendly, always at our service. We have received 4 bottles of water (0,5 liter each) every day, and fresh fruit: mango, lichi, dragonfruit, banana for free. They have always made up the bed and changed the towels during the daytime, and they have also prepared the bed for the night at the evening: they placed nice flowers on the pillows. The receptionist have been always very nice and helpful: special thanks to them as well.
One of our friend has celebrated her 30th birthday there, and we have ordered dinner to the beach: it was magnificent! She has received a nice birthday card from the hotel, signed by the whole staff, and a small cake with candles, while the general manager, the receptionist and the cook have been singing 'Happy Birthday'. It was unforgettable.

Swimming pool and beach
While the hotel was almost full house, there was no crowd in the swimming pool or at the beach at all. The pool was heated and clean, about 12 sunbeds on both sides, and there was a bar at the side, so we could drink cocktails while sitting in the pool. The beach was as on postcards: huge palm trees, white sand, and clean water, we really liked it! There have been also about 12 sunbeds on the beach, and waiters brought you whatever you ordered.

Restaurant
The restaurant has been also great: nice view, very friendly staff. The breakfasts have been terrific: 5 types of fresh juices, hams, cheeses, warm dishes (precooked and freshly made as well), more types of bread, mueslis, jams. We have also had dinners here: soups and currys have been really delicious!

Surroundings
You should keep in mind, that the hotel is on the west coast, quite far from the nearest villages. I think, when someone choose a hotel, first he/she should investigate where is it exactly and does it match with his/her needs. Therefore I do not really understand those people, who were writing: 'it is far away from everything', 'it is on the middle of nowhere', etc, because the location and the surroundings are not kept in secret, if you are smart enough, you can find these out. So we did not have problem, since we have appreciated that our beach is secluded, no hawkers come to you to sell useless things, no dogs, etc. and our hotel is a boutique hotel. We have gone to Chaweng once, we have booked 3 trips in a travel office, and a minibus came every time to pick us up at our hotel and they also brought as back after the trips. Moreover, there is one restaurant (I-Talay Nasai Garden) in 5mins walking and another (Five Islands) in 12mins of walking, all of them are very good. You should find out what you really want and choose a hotel accordingly. The only negative point is taxi is very expensive (mainly compared to Bangkok), we went to Chaweng for 200THB/person in a minibus.

In overall, the hotel was a perfect choice for 6 young people, who spent 1 week on Ko Samui relaxing, swimming, snorkelling, diving, hiking, eating out, watching marvellous sunsets.
Many thanks for the whole staff who also made our holiday very precious and amazing.

Room Tip: If you want to have great sunset view, choose the sunset rooms on the upper floor (1st floor), or ba...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank K_Nora28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
nijmegen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

Stayed there in feb 2012 for three nights. We booked a sunset room but there was some work in progress in the hotel next door (although we haven't heard any work at all during our stay) so we were upgraded to a garden villa. Spacious room with one jacuzzi in the garden and one in the open air bathroom. Only 20 rooms in the hotel, so it had a very personal atmosphere. Nice and comfortable swimming pool. Free cold bottles of water on the beach. Our first evening, we were all invited for a cocktail/wine party from the manager on the beach. Amazing sunset made it all perfect. Very friendly staff. Good restaurant. Hotel is on the quiet west side of Samui, but imho so much nicer than Chaweng, unless you like partying more than environment. We used the free bikes to see some of the surrounding environment. Sea on that side of Samui is calm. No good reef for snorkeling anymore unfortunately but easy access to Ang Thong. If going back to Samui I'd choose the sunset beach resort and spa again!

1 Thank Ramon1
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

My partner and i chose this place specifically to relax and be away from the main part of Samui. It was an amazing resort with everything we needed. The staff were always so helpful and attentive. The sunset rooms were perfect with the most amazing views. Food and drinks were plentiful with really reasonable prices. The beach didnt have seaweed and was cleaned darily as was the pool and grounds. Always smiling staff made us feel so welcomed! Will definitely recommend to friends and we will stay again! Thank you for making our week at Samui memorable!!!

Room Tip: Sunset rooms are a must!
2 Thank LisaS213
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

We've just got back from an amazing honeymoon in the Sunset Beach Resort. We stayed in one of the beachfront Villas. From the moment when we arrived and were greeted by very friendly staff, the manager and some welcome drinks our stay was perfect. The staff are very friendly and are very helpful. Our room was amazing, with a private garden and pool that looked directly onto the beach. The beach was really quiet and clean, and you can get your cocktails delivered from the bar straight to your beach sun lounger. We had dinner one night on the beach which was great, and were able to change the set menu to suit us (i.e. we were vegetarian).

The bathroom of our villa was outside, which took a bit of getting used to, but I quite liked having a shower outside in the morning, but its not for everyone. Compared to the other side of the Island, this part is very quiet and I would say suitable to couples and people looking to chill out. I would recommend getting a hire car to get about, but taxi's aren't too expensive. We went elephant trekking, which I would definitely recommend.

Overall, this hotel was great and was perfect for us for our Honeymoon.

1 Thank Alistair-Mackie
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

What makes the perfect trip ? For my wife and myself on our 4th Wedding Anniversary and my birthday combined, the tropical paradise of Koh Samui! What made it special :
1)- the staff at the Sunset Beach resort at Taling Ngam!From the GM Chat, to Jarat & Milk at the front office, Koh & Keng & the lady who made the perfect omlette at the breakfast table every morning - all of them just made it the most relaxed,friendly and welcome Thai vacation! what a great boutique hotel in the best spot available. They give you the most genuine advice and really care ! Also gave us a late checkout as the flight back was at 6pm.from Samui to Bangkok.
2)Property has a good pool,great rooms - the deluxe rooms with the Jacuzzi has the best views, internet access,super beach front, you can walk at least 500m in one direction,Gym on top a hill ! birds eye view, Its 40min from the airport in a fabulous location next to the Intercontinental which is the most expensive property on this stretch.
3) 5 nights , remote beach, great view from room 7, 5 island view, Jacuzzi in the room, great pool,two wheelers for hire, 35 minutes by bikes to Lamai Beach ( easily the most lively street at night) , and the same to Nathon Pier, great for lunch !. ( Chaweng is overhyped).
4) Food is cheap & delicious , beer is plenty, sunshine,water, & the warmth of the people free and memories priceless! For every budget !
Koh Samui rocks in Jan-Feb and the best season to visit I guess not too hot or cold and just totally laid back and chilled out - dont carry too much luggage - plenty of 7 to 11 and 24hr stores across this Island ! you get everything you need !

1 Thank Amit G
Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

What can I write in a review that others might have not written so far?

Well I will tell you:
The Sunset Beach Resort and Spa - before named Ban Sabai Sunset Resort and Spa Hotel, has had a very hard time in the last two years. The giant Intercontinental Hotel beside was completely teared down and rebuild. And so the reputation of this hotel which used to be one of the TOP 10 places in Asia for Honeymooners and for Romance seeking people was demolished. The noises of the construction made the visitors so angry, that the beautiful pearl dropped from the Number 1 rank in Koh Samui, the Number 1 place for Honeymooners in Thailand, the number 1 place of ASIA for Sunset Experiences and a Top 10 ranking for Honeymooners in Asia to a poor place number 25 in Koh Samui, not ranked significantly in Thailand or Asia anymore. How do I know that - well the Hotel Manager and the employers told me the story. And looking around and reading some older reviews I can count one and one together!
Further - when I like a place - I fight for it. And this place is a must go.
Now it is time to review this hotel please understand that my mother language is German, and so there might be some smaller mistakes in this text. I apologize right in advance if this is the case.
I really must say my partner and myself we loved the place. And the other couple travelling with us,loved the place too.
The Sunset experiences every day about 30 minutes are so fabulous, so exiting, you will never ever forget that. (I have added 2 pictures which will make this very clear!)
The little resort has not more than a total of 30 rooms and bungalows. It is a family atmosphere where ever you go. (My pictures give an overview). The staff is trying to make the impossible possible and the manager is a really great help. Polite and with a lot of knowledge he can solve any problem which appears. What ever we asked for, what ever wish we had, they made it possible. And when we had a problem - the team solved it. Not that there were many - only some smaller things like a weak Wireless Internet Connection or the key.
Now back to the Resort itself and the atmosphere:
You can even have a Sunset Dinner at the Beach. Or a romantic one at the Beach when it's dark surrounded by candles and torches, 5 meters from the ocean. The noise is so lovely, the atmosphere unique. You can watch some local villagers hunting for crabs and squids in the lower water - the green and yellow and white lights they carry with them make the scene even more fancy.
The pool area is nice, a bar offers drinks in the pool or outside the pool, several chairs invite to read and chill in the sun.
The restaurant which offers breakfast, lunch and dinner is named L'Ananas and offers Thai food, Sea food and International food.
The food is really lovely and optically very nice, the taste very good, only one dish wasn't my taste, the seafood salad as it had too much skin on the fish, but that is a subjective thing.
For Thai Food lovers the special Tip:
Try the Larb Tuna Salad! Or the Avocado Crab Salad if you are more Eurasian orientated.
The breakfast has a huge choice, an egg station, several fresh juices, danish pastries, cheeses, cold cutting selection with ham, salami, bologna, turkey breast - you find cereals, different dry and fresh fruits, yoghurt and many other things too. I will ad some pictures.
The Jakuzzi Rooms in the main building ( which has 11 rooms) is offering a big king sized bed, a bath tube with jakuzzi function and a little waterfall, seperate shower and toilet and two sinks.
There is free Wireless Lan connection (sometimes instabile) and a nice balcony. The bed is my only complaint, as the matress was so hard, that I had back pain every morning, when I got up. But this - I figured - is a general problem in Thailand's Hotels and Resorts. Only some hotel chains under European or American management have contracts with Slumberland or Sleeky who offer for Thailand the most comfortable beds and matress'. That is the only thing which should be changed in my eyes - but also a very subjective point as others like hard matress' and or beds.
The place itself, where the Hotel is located, is a stone throw from the brand new built Intercontinental 5 star Resort. You should know that Taling Ngam is quite far away from Night Life and Action. It is the (South) Western part of the Island. The Hotel rents motorbikes, but when you drink - the roads in Samui are bad - and the traffic is dangerous, better order a Taxi. Make sure to have enough funds when you choose this place and want to go out! So that you can reach the Night Life areas and those where action is offered. (Of course if you are interested in that only.)
For people who love Watersports the Hotel offers quite nice choices. They have an own Motorboat with a 150 horsepowers Yamaha Outboarder for 7 people. We 4 chose the 5 hours snorkeling trip and we loved it. The trip costs an additional 7000 THB for the whole group. We saw beside Stingrays, small Sharks, Morenas, Octopus' and many other interesting Flora and Fauna in the ocean. After 90 minutes we were brought to a nice small island with a beautiful white sandy beach to relax and had some snacks. Unfortunately that small Island is quite frequented and other folks are yelling, smoking and throwing their garbage around, so that the place wasn't so beautiful anymore. But we had the chance to shoot very beautiful pictures at this place. After our break we went to catch some fishes, but had no fortune.
The hotel also offered a cocktail party with free food and drinks on the beach at Tuesday Night and it was a great experience too.
When you are interested in catching really huge fishes, not too far from the Hotel, about 5 minutes with the car there is the Top Cats Fishing Park Samui. You can catch fishes up to 80 kgs there and professional fishing guides help you, that the 6 hours you are there, will be a good time. (See my review about this place too.)
Try the Spa to have the perfect recreation - the Hotel Resort offered a Valentines Chocolate Special for Couples which we really loved!
The Sunset Beach Resort and Spa Taling Ngam is the best place you can find. Compared with the rates of the Intercontinental Hotel beside the place is much more valueable and much more beautiful.(See my extra review about the Spa.)
We stayed 3 days from the 6th to the 9th of February in The Sunset Beach Resort and Spa and we are very sure, that we will come back in the next 12 month.
In my whole life there were only 3 Hotels and Resorts in the world which I enjoyed so much, this now is belonging to my personal Top 4 places.
The rooms have a small working desk, have a huge cupboard, a hair dryer, a room safe and the mini bar offers complimentary 2 bottles of 0.5 liters of drinking water each day, further an additional 2 bottles for tooth brushing. As the fridge is a little bigger than usual hotel mini bar fridges you can easily store some own snacks inside too.
Make sure to have enough anti moscito spray with you, the tablet electronic moscito protection is not as effective as you might want it. I recommend the Jaico Roller or Lemongrass Spray.
The bungalows are even more beautiful, especially the very big ones directly with access to the beach and partly open garden areas.
Reviews in which bungalow users told that people from the main building can see them in the private garden, when they might be naked - NOT TRUE. I checked that, as I consider for my next visit to use one of the bungalows. And I am person who dislikes to be watched of others. So please don't believe everything some people write - I figured anyway that some people have unbelievable opinions and their reviews seem far away from reality.
One final comment - I don't understand some comments when people complaint about the Jakuzzi in the rooms with the waterfall. If you are acting clumsy and not careful - of course the whole room is under water. Sometimes people should check things out before just using them. But it is very easy to complaint and make everybody else responsible for the own dumbness..........
I really love this little place and I feel very sad and bad that the hotel dropped in the reviews but also the travellers choices from a high rank to a lower rank due to construction problems from competitors.
As the place is now free of this 2 years trouble - check it out - you will believe me - there is nothing better than this.
It is always better to support smaller places as those offer you much better possibilities than the big ones ever can.
I made some pictures of the place so that you can get a better impression of this beautiful hotel. I did not make pictures of the rooms as I know that so many pictures have been made only of the hotel room. I guess it is not interesting to see the TV with DVD Player, the shower, the toilet, the sinks or the jakuzzi. This is all to see at the website of the hotel very well.
How ever if you want a picture of the hotel room I can offer those too, just contact me in private if you are interested.

*Room rates 2012-2013*

06th of January to 06th of April
Sunset Jacuzzi 7000 THB
Sunset Jacuzzi Deluxe 7500 THB
Garden Jacuzzi Villa 12500 THB
Beach Front Pool Villa 18800 THB

07th of April to 30th of June (same rooms as before)
5400 THB, 5900 THB, 9800 THB, 15500 THB

1st of July to 31st of August (same rooms as before)
7000 THB, 7500 THB, 12500 THB, 18800 THB

1st of September to 31st of October (same rooms as before)
5900 THB, 6400 THB, 11300 THB, 17500 THB

1st of November to 21st of December (same rooms as before
5400 THB, 5900 THB, 9800 THB, 15500 THB

22nd of December to 5th of January 2013 (same rooms as before)
8500 THB, 9000 THB, 15000 THB, 24000 THB
These rates include breakfast for two people and 17 percent service charge

Additional the hotel charges for an extra bed/extra person in the room 1500 THB with breakfast

Breakfast for people visiting the resort from outside 450 THB
Lunch 900 THB
Dinner 1300 THB

(*Source: Hotel own flyer - given at the reception to guests, I hope I made no mistakes copying the rates but it might be possible)

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but the Bungalows with Beach access are for sure the best!
1 Thank Dirk W
West Linn, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

We did not stay at this resor but we visited for sundowners and dinner on the beach. It was superb. Whle not the greatest swimming beach (shallow and a little weedy) it is beautiful, deserted and the sunset is spectacular. The staff welcomed us wtih open arms, set us a gorgeous table on the beach for dinner, and promptly served us a delicious meal. It was a little more spendy than usual in Thailand, but the atmosphere and awesome presentation more than justified the extra dollars. Truly and evening to cherish!

Room Tip: The beachfront villas are very private, each with their own enclosed garden
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
SALA Samui Resort And Spa
SALA Samui Resort And Spa
#1 of 10 in Choeng Mon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,090 reviews

Been to The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam? Share your experiences!