“A let down for a five star hotel. There needs to be more improvement in service communications.”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Being a seasoned traveller travelling to places like maldives (4 seasons) hong kong (peninsula, mandarin hotel) and after having read previous reviews with this hotel, I thought to experience it with my sister.

1.If you've never been snorkelling, then taking a boat out to snorkelling sites could be a wonder, though myself being an experienced deep-sea-snorkeller found it a bit of a let down and snorkelling sites were over crowded. If you are a beginner snorkeler then the snorkelling is great, just watch you don't bump into anyone or another boat as there's quite a lot of traffic.

2. Regarding the room: There really needs to be improvement with the room dept, as many of the sockets, lights and gadgets were not working, it was only after persistent complaints, was it rectified.

3. Concierge really needs a wake-up call. The information given like restaurant opening times were incorrect, telephone numbers were incorrect and just generally, communication really needs a spring clean. For example it got to a point where my sister tonight (as I'm still here for another two days) had to start raising her voice, as the concierge girl on duty was so irritating with a bad attitude. As I was having a severe stomach ache and only wanted a hot water bottle and talking to the lady concierge, was like talking to a brick wall even though I double checked she understood my english, she just was not helping me solve a problem. In light of that, to be honest, I wouldn't want to have a medical emergency here. It was only after my sister started raising her voice, that she received attention and the problem was resolved.

4. Another wake-up, that the GM needs to know about, is the basic running of the hotel that needs attention. Even a simple wake-up call, for our early morning private speed boat trip, did not come through. There was no morning call, which is not good enough for a five star hotel.

On this note I would like to thank meow, the new butler who only recently started working at this resort a few days ago. She was here, along with her previous supervisor (who happened to be passing through, before moving on to vietnam) was apologetic and trying her best to resolve the many problems that we encountered.

5. A highlight of the trip was taking the speed boat out to have lunch on a private island was lovely as was the tour guide Aood, who also served the meal.

6. The spa was great, they communicated very well and have the correct attitude, my hat off to them, perhaps other departments can receive some running tips from them.

Ps. If you don't like walking far to the lobby, try to stay in rooms 101-109, close to the lobby, otherwise you'll be walking everywhere. These collection of rooms have stunning views.

• Stayed January 2014
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear bonita c,

Thank you so much for taking your time to give us feedback on TripAdvisor. I truly am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. The areas for improvement have been brought to the attention of the respective department heads to share with the team.

The concierge team is one of our core values at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort and I am truly disappointed that you did not feel the hard working that they offered you. We will work harder on this very important aspect.

In other side, I’m happy to hear that you love our spa team and Meow's service, also the resort’s signature speed boat tour.

Dear bonita c, I sincerely thank you for your feedback. I can assure you that we will continue to work hard and strive to meet every guest expectation. I do genuinely look forward to welcoming you back.

Sincerely yours,

Stephane Duchenne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I spent 5nights at this amazing resort. I was very impressed through out my stay first with the view and the hardware but not to forget the software which I had never experienced else where before.

Warm greetings with charming smile from my butler upon my arrival, check in was so fast and efficient, personalized service and attention to detail during my stay.

My butler Meow was just so amazing with all the tailored service and special thanks to Mr. Juan Losada, the Resort Manager, who really looked after me and my wife during the stay.

I will definitely come back!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear jays81,

On behalf of InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Family, I would like to thank you for your great feedback! It makes us very proud and motivates us to continue providing superior quality and personalized hospitality to our guests.

I would also like to thank you for praising our associates’ professionalism, they work hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality. Rest assured that I will share your kind words of appreciation with the entire team, especially Juan and Meow!

We would love to have you back to our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” where gain the World Leading Luxury Resort Awards 2013 by World Travel Awards and please do look out on our website for some exciting offers. Wish you the very best.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Although i have a home in Koh Samui i decided to stay at this hotel for 3 days and its beautifully designed and the location is great, with great views of the Five Islands too. The costs are reasonable compared to my favorite hotel in Samui, The Four Seasons, but you pay about 1500 USD for a room at FS vs 400 ! And to be honest this hotel makes my number two on my Samui list.

The staff is great and helpful and fairly good service. Nothing is 100 percent in Thailand as some staff just don't understand you and still say YES. This is a common issue in Thailand.

My only BIG issue with this hotel is the big nice buffet breakfast at the AMBER restaurant, they cannot handle the amount of people during the peak season and some staff really don't understand English. They really need a good western trained food manager to be there in the morning directing the staff. I didn't really see that. Some customers were waiting 30 minutes for a table and i ordered coffee 3 times and didn't get it, also ordered carrot juice and eggs and it never showed up to my table. To the hotel...hire a good professional food and beverage manager !

Overall i loved the hotel !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Michael R,

We would like to thank you for taking the valuable time to describe our wonderful view, facilities and services with such care. Also it was a real pleasure to read that you love our resort and make us for your one of two resorts in Koh Samui. It is highly appreciated.

Our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” is located within the exclusive enclave of Taling Ngam Bay on the unspoilt west coast of the tropical resort island of Koh Samui. Renowned as the best spot on the island for sunsets, the resort is set in a quiet, secluded location and offers inspiring views over the Gulf of Thailand and the Five Islands beyond. We also provide many activities for free of charge to our guest such as 7 swimming pools, private beach, fitness 24 hour, sailing, Kayaking, 2 tennis courts, etc.

Your feedback regarding the Amber service is taken note of. I am particularly disappointed to hear that the service performance of our Amber team was not up to your expectations, as this is the single most common reason why our guests rate us so highly. However, I take note of your feedback and reminded our associates to be focused, sharp and attentive to guest needs.

It has been our joy and privilege to serve you and your friends and we look forward to being of service to you again when your next return to your “Great hotel design and location”.

Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I never writing any reviews on TripAdvisor or else but the property make me doing this.

This hotel exceeded my expectations, First of all the property is absolutely fabulous. the ocean view room is lovely i thought its just in pictures but when our family was there, I fell in love with the room itself and the view as well.

The breakfast and all day dinning restaurant served wide range of food selection from Thai, Japanese to European with good taste and quality and especially reasonable price.

The one of our favorite place, to go after dinner to enjoy and finish our late cocktail, is the bar nearby the reception and pool. Also you must not miss to be there during sunset. The bar is one of the best place to watch sunset on the island.

The hotel staff was amazing. They are very accommodating and really attentive without being intrusive and always have a smile on their face.

Nevertheless we highly recommend this hotel. This resort is a Heaven on Earth.

We had stayed in other InterCon before and were never disappointed at an InterCon before and this resort is No Exception.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Elvin S
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Elvin S,

Thanks for a fantastic review. I am so glad that you took the time to write a review. I can assure you that the team is indeed very efficient and the operating procedures have been honed over many years to ensure we can get there asap. We are indeed lucky to have guests who have the discipline to write such a good review even though they are busy with other things.

Elvin S, thank you once again for taking the time to provide us this tremendous feedback! I am delighted to hear that you truly enjoyed the stunning views, the warm service and culinary highlights at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort.

My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to you “Home on a Beautiful Cliff” on your upcoming trip to Koh Samui.

Sincerely yours

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Our last stay of 2013 was at the IC Baan Taling Ngam and the staff ensured we were well taken care of. We loved our room in the main building with sweeping views of the Gulf of Thailand and the islands.

The room is beautifully appointed and has a colonial feel. The terrace is the main highlight for us as it is a great place to relax, have lunch, admire the sea.

The fireworks were most impressive and were launched from the floating jetty. Every room was therefore able to enjoy this magnificent pyrotechnic display.

The only thing that did not work for us was the rather poor pressure in the shower.

The rest of the stay was perfect. Better half fell asleep during the spa treatment so it was obviously enjoyable.

Dear JohnSINSG,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed a relaxing vacation and mentioned that we are “Great hotel with stunning views” at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” where gain the World Leading Luxury Resort Awards 2013 by World Travel Awards! I am very proud to hear that your experience with us was impeccable and our service was flawless.

I take note of your comment regarding poor shower pressure in the room.

We hope to welcome you back to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort again soon.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Amazing place to spend time at.Breathtaking beaches with an amazing views of the ocean.
Since my first step in the hotel,I was greet by staff with a big smile and a proper Thai wai.
Concierge was useful and very friendly and make me feel very welcome in the property.
Check in was excellent,quick and very professional,FO team was excellent.
I had dinner with my wife and "Flames" was a unique dining experience,very attentive service and incredible food.The wine cellar full of great wines to choose.
Overall,this place is a top spot.I have been in other property all over Thailand and they aren't even close to this one.
Excellent work IHG.

Dear Dave T,

Thank you very much for an array of positive feedback on our resort. We truly appreciate your comments and happy to hear that our team catered to your every need and you enjoyed all services. They work hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality. Rest assured that I will share your kind words of appreciation with the entire team, especially our Front Office and Flames team!

Thank you for having stayed with us at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort and for writing this review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Broadbeach, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Loved this hotel, perfect for a week of adult relaxation. Hassle free Christmas Day, no compulsory dinner or gala.

Food especially good if you try all the spots for variety. Chef Luke makes an interesting sorbet (Weis bar) for breakfast. Late afternoon drinks and pork crackling with chilli paste is a must at the AirBar, great with a Chang. Crispy egg noodles and curry sauce is very yummy at Amber for lunch with stunning views. Flames on the beach does a great tuna wrap for lunch and the evening BBQ is worth a look if you like your seafood. Chef Kheka's Massaman curry is very special and his fish cakes ain't to bad either.

Thanks for a wonderful time...

Room Tip: Become an IHG Ambassador and get a guaranteed upgrade.