“Simply breathtaking!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Sydney, Australia
“Simply breathtaking!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This property will take your breath away! and if it doesn't then you're hard to please. The service was always gracious and accommodating. We had a fabulous meal at Flames Restaurant a cooked to order grill of seafood, meat and salad. Our room was well appointed, quiet and equipped with all the amenities that you can expect at an InterContinental. Make sure you start your evening with a drink at Air Bar, again the view is amazing, great selection of cocktails and first rate service.
Thank you InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, we'll be back!

Room Tip: Pay the additional and book a villa, you wont regret it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear mandk73,

Thank you for your kind review, it is great to hear that you had an enjoyable family vacation with us at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort.

Thank you for complementing our grill of seafood buffet - Chef Luke will be proud to know that you enjoyed his menu! Rest assured that I will share your kind feedback with our team.

We do hope to welcome you back soon for another vacation to complete relaxation!

Stephane Duchenne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Beautiful place.. amazing view and extremely breezy.. It was truly a heaven on earth.. Food variety.. The restaurant at the beach is the best for evening wine and dinner. The bar at the pool is great options!!! Overall Great!!!

Room Tip: Choose the upper side vilas.. or 3 bedroom suite villa.... they are mindblowing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear kohinoor_doshi,

Thank you for the short and sweet note complimenting us. We are so happy to see that you had an excellent stay as “a heaven on earth” with us in enjoying a series of great service experiences by our team. We certainly hope you will return soon to Koh Samui and particularly to our resort.

Geelong, Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Beautiful resort amazing lobby view. I love blue pool,there are many colors pool available around the resort,Beach service is excellent.nice cocktail and friendly staff,recreation manger is very helpful and we wish to see her again for next our visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear issaradaim,

Thank you so much for writing this review. We are so happy to see that we were a “Great Resort for your Holiday” in Koh Samui with a series of great service experiences by our team. I will share your kind words of appreciation with the entire team, they will also appreciate you took the time to recognize their professionalism of their service especially Ta, our recreation manager.

Taipei
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed first two days at a medium hotel in Chaweng, then moved to Intercontinental for the remaining two more days. The views were spectacular as other reviews have mentioned, room is clean and nice as well. But on the first day I regretted moving to Intercontinental.
there's only two restaurants and nothing near-by, so you are stuck at eating hotel restaurant for 3-meal a day. They also charge you for shuttle to near-by town, and it only runs until 6pm.
So basically if you stay at this hotel without your own transportation, you are stuck here.
I knew the location is remote, but I didn't know the it was this troublesome to go to other locations of the island by hotel services.
With the hotel price we are paying, there should be complimentary (or even reasonable price) for services such as shuttle to airport / other locations of island at night.
I got a rental bike for free and was asked to return it in just one hour!
It made me feel the hotel is all about money money money.

When I check-out, they didn't bother to ask me how was my stay or even ask whether I have transportation to airport. Just pay the bill and say goodbye, then my wifi got disconnected the second I checked out, leaving me no internet while waiting for my own transportation.

Unless you got your own transportation, don't stay here for your entire trip of Koh Samui.
You are missing out the whole island. The beaches are calmer on Chaweng Hotels and you can swim very comfortably. You also get to enjoy the Thai Spa and food at "Thailand Price"!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear moogle822,

Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback. I truly am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations because of the transportation. Referring to the location, our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” is located within the exclusive enclave of Taling Ngam Bay on the unspoilt west coast of the tropical resort island of Koh Samui. Renowned as the best spot on the island for sunsets, the resort is set in a quiet, secluded location and offers inspiring views over the Gulf of Thailand and the Five Islands beyond. We also provide many activities for free of charge to our guest to relax such as 7 swimming pools, private beach, fitness 24 hour, sailing, kayaking, 2 tennis courts, etc.

Your feedback regarding to our check-out service, we are taken note of, while we are confident that they work very hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality.

Thank you once again for choosing InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort as your preferred resort. My associates and I do look forward to hosting you again at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff”!

Kind regards,

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Beautiful location, wonderful finishes in the hotel and excellent 5* quality. Mister Duchenne your hotel is simply fantastic.

FOOD: There are two main restaurants, Amber & Flames they are expensive for Thailand but actually the same price as a bog standard meal in the UK however you are eating pretty much Michelin star food! They are both excellent quality and I would strongly recommend trying the meat platter at flames as your main, incredible! Clement in flames was very welcoming, professional and diligent; he makes sure that everything is perfect for you! I cannot praise him highly enough! There’s also two other restaurants close by. Five islands which is absolutely amazing very romantic and again will do anything to accommodate you, they also pick you up and drop you off or it’s a 10 minute walk. There’s also a small local restaurant called i talay this is basic but good enough for a snack or cheap meal. Breakfast at the hotel was a highlights, excellent range and choice! Everything was fresh and cooked superbly. Never had a bad stomach at this hotel its definitely 5* food without a doubt.
DRINKS: Good selection of beers wines and spirits. The cocktails are exquisite. The prices are expensive but for the selection on show its understandable.
ROOMS: We were staying in an ocean view room for 2 weeks. I do think they should look after their longer staying resident and certainly offer a free upgrade for honeymooners. All the rooms are beautiful in their own ways, views, private pool, villas etc. You can’t fault any of them and housekeeping was very good. Negative point – mini bar was extortionate! You have a 7-11 shop down the road (take bikes and cycle there, pharmacy next door) which they are a fraction of the price.
STAFF: I never had any issues with staff here. They were all five star plus service, in fact the best I’ve ever had. Don’t understand previous comments about them being rude. Can’t imagine any Thai staff being rude! They will do anything for you. You don’t have to tip in Thailand however I do strongly recommend it, makes life easier and shows them how happy you are with their service. Ball in the pool bar was one of my favourites! Very easy to get along with and tried very hard to please everyone, excellent at making strawberry daiquiris! Hope he’s valued by management. Both managers were very pleasant and made an effort with the guests which is very important in my opinion. Also met the marketing manager from Bangkok who was also very very pleasant and seemed extremely hard working to ensure the hotel keeps its high standards.
TRANSPORT: The buggies at the hotel are pretty much easy to find during the day. Low season evenings you could be waiting up to 30 minutes by flames for one. High season I would imagine they have lots more staff.
OTHER POINTS: Plenty of food options too for different cultures! Be careful with the sun, its often cloudy but very dangerous to burn through. Would have loved to have gone out in the intercontinental boat however very expensive for what it is. You can have tours outside the hotel, Trans island tours were good.
Can’t fault it! Would HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

Room Tip: 217 good view and lovely room, quiet, close to pool steps and amber.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LauPhillAitchison
Dear LauPhillAitchison,

On behalf of InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Family, I would like to thank you for your great feedback! It makes us very proud and motivates us to continue providing superior quality and personalized hospitality to our guests.

I would also like to thank you for praising our associates’ professionalism, they work hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality. Rest assured that I will share your kind words of appreciation with the entire team, especially Clement and Ball!

We would love to have you back and please do look out on our website for some exciting offers particularly during this time of the year. Wish you the very best.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My fiancée and I spent 7 nights at the InterContinental Koh Samui in June to celebrate our engagement. My partner holds a platinum IHG loyalty card and the entire stay was booked on points.

Let’s start with the pros:

• Upon arrival, we were quickly greeted by staff and given a nice refreshing drink. We had arrived well before our scheduled check-in time but the hotel allowed us access to a different room, temporarily, in order to get cleaned up and have access to our things until our room was ready. This was a very nice touch and greatly appreciated.
• The hotel is located on an amazing piece of property with stunning views from every vantage point (we stayed in a “King Bed Ocean View” and it had a wonder view and balcony which was great for evening cocktails).
• Seclusion and privacy – you will really feel like you are on your own private island / estate.
• Positive experience with staff (English was pretty good and generally speaking, everyone was very helpful).
• Nice spa and just an easy place to relax.
• Very good gym for a hotel.

At the time of our visit, the hotel was going through some renovations and it seemed a large proportion of the rooms were closed as a result. Overall, the hotel did a good job of managing this work with little disruption to our stay.

In terms of improvements, there are a few things that I feel are worth mentioning:

• You can’t swim in the ocean. Sadly, there is a large coral reef in front of the beach area that you simply cannot wade through. Keep this in mind if you have kids as it could be a major source of disappointment.
• Food and beverage prices are high. We live in London so we’re used to expensive restaurants but everything from pizza to beer is just as expensive (and in some cases more) than what we typically pay in London and this just left a bad taste in our mouth. It our opinion, you shouldn’t be paying £14 (~$21) for a basic pizza in Thailand!
• If you want to get around the island, you should look at renting a vehicle as you pay a huge premium for taxis. Again, while it won’t bankrupt you but it is comparable to London pricing and it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. The hotel offers a few shuttles to some of the towns but again, it isn’t cheap. The hotel is very secluded and I was a bit surprised they didn’t offer complementary shuttles.
• A small thing, but at check out, our 15% discount on hotel services hadn’t been applied to our bill so we literally needed to go through the itemized bill line by line to ensure we paid the appropriate amount. It’s just not something you want to do as you’re literally about to catch a taxi to the airport. As IHG Platinum card holders, we were entitled to this benefit and the hotel was well aware of it because they gave us a summary of benefits at check in.

I think they are making positive steps with the hotel but I would definitely say it is not the right place for everyone. We really enjoyed our stay but after a few days of solid R&R we found ourselves wishing we were a bit closer to shops, nightlife and swimmable beaches.

As a final point, definitely check out the i-Talay restaurant which is short walk down the beach from the hotel. You can get some great local Thai food (and pizza) at non-tourist prices in a chilled out setting.

Room Tip: Make sure you have an Ocean view and keep in mind that some of the rooms are a bit of a hike away fr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear maple_leaf_expats,

Thank you very much for an array of positive feedback on our hotel. We truly appreciate your comments and happy to hear that our team catered to your every need and you enjoyed all services.

In terms of the prices in our restaurants, we do charge more than some restaurants outside the resort, but our prices are generally in line with those that offer the same superior quality food. We strive hard to give great value for money.

Thank you for having stayed with us at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort and for writing this review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed with IC for 4D3N last week. It is my 2nd time visit samui while 1st time for my girlfriend. We have the serenity package, therefore we get roundtrip limo transfer. Airport rep. already waiting for us at the airport. It is a wow once stepped inside the lobby after 45mins comfy ride. The magnificent view of the lobby is a must visit spot. Check-in is smooth and greeted as IHG rewards member by Regine - the resort AM. Regine showed us the way to our room and introduce the resort to us. Spacious room, good design, and lovely bathroom.

We have yoga class in the 2nd day morning, followed by great breakfast. Food tasty and with enough variety choices. Just make yourself relax and enjoy the stunning view with the breakfast. You surely can put all your pressure aside. We do some more exploration around the resort. There are 7 pools with different colors within the premise. We meet a manager at the blue pool (realized he is the GM in the cocktail party). The pools are not packed with guests even the main pool at beachside. We have a private dinner next the beach at night. Food portion is big that we have take away some of our food to room for supper. We tried to lighten up a Thai lantern but fails due to the weather. Clement - Restaurant Manager of Flames and waiters are helpful and professions during the whole dinner time. Clement ensures us are enjoyable and with no complaints about the perfect under the star dinner.

Spa service and therapists are good. Ann and Bee (our therapists) did a great job to make us relax and de-stress. They ensure our privacy and make sure we are having a relax moment during the therapy. A cocktail party arranged by the management is a extraordinary event that I have ever experienced. The management would take this chance to hear the feedback from guests. We have a causal chat with Regine and Stephen (the gentleman that we met at blue pool). A good chat with them. We sure take Stephen's advice and try the marine park journey and cooking class in our next visit.

Pros:
Spacious room
Greet as IHG rewards member makes everything more enjoyable
Stunning view everywhere within the resort
Simply but tasty food
Prompt buggy services, the longest time we ever waited was just only 5mins. Just take your waiting time to enjoy and relax with the breeze.

cons:
Pillows are too soft. But we just missed out the pillows menu. It is an extra mile if a checklist of menu ready on bed.
Room of us has fair ocean view. I would say it is a mountain or courtyard view. However, it is of extreme quiet at night so you need not worry about noise. Would better choose room right at the bottom of reception next visit.
Basin near the bathtub drains out yellow-stained water. I think it is because that particular tap didnt use by guests for months since two basins inside bathroom. It doesnt cause us much trouble since we just use one side basin instead.
Light of make-up room sign was out of order. Just a minor stuff since housekeeping still did a great job to clean-up the room even no green light is on.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear stevekaty,

Warm greetings from InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort! Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! It has been shared with the rest of the team, especially Clement, Reginne, Ann and Bee, and we shall keep up the good work.

I am delighted to hear that you had an amazing holiday with us in enjoying the stunning view, the seven swimming pools, a series of great service experiences by our team as well as the food quality. I am particularly pleased to know that you got to indulge in the spa treatments at our Baan Thai Spa.

You touch on the very things we continue to work at so we can excel. We are very glad our efforts are paying off. Thank you very much!

Thank you for having stayed with us at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” and for writing this review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taling Ngam
Six Senses Samui
#20 of 185 in Bophut
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!