“This is a quality 5* -It ticks all the boxes”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Actually we did not stay at this hotel, we were staying at the Anantara Lawana on Chewang beach, however we were so disappointed with the beach there that we spent two whole days at the Intercontinental hotel with our friends so feel qualified to pass an opinion on this hotel.

Location & Layout
The hotel is fairly isolated on the West coast of Samui, but Chewang can be reached within 45 minutes by hotel bus or taxi (700-800 bts), however its position and design is really impressive.

Constructed on a hillside the villas are spread from top of the hill to the beach. The reception (near the top) and associated bars and restaurants exude "cool" with great views and sunsets.

The many golf buggies pick you up from the villas and move you around the hotel and down to the beach section; this comprises a great pool, stylish restaurant and a great beach.

For a multi-level hotel, it flows really well.

Accommodation
We only saw our friends two bedroom villa. The bedrooms were large en-suite and well finished, the living room was massive (1,000 sq ft?) with all the toys and in very good condition.

Beach
A good sandy beach. The water is shallow at low tide but swimming water can always be reached by the pier. Complementary canoes and hobicats are available from very helpful beach staff.

Excellent

Excellent

Also of note
300m down the beach to the north of the hotel is a great "backpacker" bar - good food, cheap beer and a nice desert island feel.

Very close are also the Five Islands Restaurant and the adjacent Island Restaurant; we ate the latter - superb Thai food (we tried 10 dishes) at "local" prices .

Would be go again?
We were guests this time - next time we are in Samui we will be booking into this hotel.

Room Tip: We were only full day guests so cannot comment.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank WhenMylesandI
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear WhenMylesandI,

Thank you for taking your time to share with us your feedback. I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay for your two whole days at “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” with your friends even you were staying in another hotel in that period.

We are delighted to hear that you love our Two-Bedroom Panoramic View Villas, the ultimate in secluded luxury that stand-alone 210 to 249 square metre villas offer the perfect setting for friends and extended family to enjoy time together. Set across two levels, they include expansive living and dining areas, while the private sundeck offers direct access to one of the resort’s five coloured swimming pools.

Referring to the location, our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” is located within the exclusive enclave of Taling Ngam Bay on the unspoilt west coast of the tropical resort island of Koh Samui. Renowned as the best spot on the island for sunsets, the resort is set in a quiet, secluded location and offers inspiring views over the Gulf of Thailand and the Five Islands beyond. We also provide many activities for free of charge to our guest such as 7 swimming pools, private beach, fitness 24 hour, sailing, Kayaking, 2 tennis courts, etc.

Thank you once again for your great feedback, your trust in our service encourages us to continue creating a wonderful holiday experience for our guests! We certainly look forward to welcoming you to stay with us in your nest visit Koh Samui.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at the Intercontinental for 10 nights in June and would rate it as one of the best holidays we have had. The resort itself was sensational and the attention from the staff incredible.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom Panoramic Villa which was extremely spacious and very contemporary. It was also one of the few hotels on the island which offered accommodation without an unfenced pool right outside - a big safety concern for us with our 2 small children.

The restaurants and bars were fantastic, with wonderful outlooks and divine food. The kids food (included in our rate for under 4s) also provided western options which made it very easy. We predominantly ate at the resort given the quality of the food, the setting, the service. We did venture to the nearby 5 Islands Restaurant a couple of times for dinner, which we also really enjoyed and would recommend - they picked us up in Tuk Tuk, which was a great novelty for the kids.

The remoteness of the resort was one of the things that was most attractive to us. We took the resort shuttle buses to several of the nearby towns, which meant we ended up with a private car driving us each time – easy with the kids. While we really enjoyed visiting the other towns and seeing more of Koh Samui, we loved returning to the enclave of the resort each time. When at the resort, we spent most of our time in the pool down by the beach with the kids, and on the beach itself. The beach has a fair bit of coral in the water, but is spotlessly clean with beautiful sand and therefore great to look at and spend time on.

The fact that the Intercontinental is perched on a hillside wasn't an impediment at all for us. The views were unbelievable and the buggy service was great - very prompt each time and, again, a great novelty for the kids. Probably one of their highlights!

Finally, the staff were absolutely incredible. They always remembered us and our room number each time and treated the kids like rock stars. All were extremely attentive, with special mention to Ta and Clement, who always took particular interest and time to chat to us.

We actually had a small medical incident with one of the kids as we were waiting for our transportation to the airport, causing us to visit the hospital on the way to the airport. Our thanks to Stephane (General Manager) who happened to walk by at the same time and took control of the situation. The hotel called ahead to the hospital, which meant we were seen immediately (while the driver (from Destination Asia) kindly waited for us). Our son was fine by that stage and we made our flight in plenty of time. For interest, the hospital was actually incredibly modern and new, and the staff very well-spoken and professional.

A few tips. We booked through Flight Centre and got a great rate. We also signed up to be Priority members, which meant we got 15% off our meals. We located a small corner shop just outside the resort which did our laundry for us on a couple of occasions - all washed and ironed for less than $10 each time. Well worth it.

The resort just offered so many little extras - use of a beach bag, someone to clean your sunglasses at the pool, etc - which were pleasant surprises and all went towards making it an unforgettable holiday. It is also large enough and spread out such that it never felt like it was overrun with other guests. It really was like staying someone private. I absolutely loved our stay and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Julia S

Dear Julia S,

It is a real pleasure to read that you love our Two-Bedroom Panoramic View Villas, the luxury villa for your relaxing holiday with your family in Koh Samui, your portrayal of “Great family holiday” puts a smile on our face. Thank you so much for complementing not only the villas but also view, Air Bar, restaurants, buggy service, pools as well as our quality of service. I have shared your comments with our team members mentioned in your review and they were happy to read it too, especially Ta and Clement.

Thank you for having stayed with us at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort and for writing this review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The location is the best for someone who wants to be in paradise!the stuff is excellent in servicing to all kinds of people making us to feel unique!!the food is superb especially at Amber Thai restaurant where there's a diamond lady mrs Lek who is so professional and friendly as well,a great teacher for the younger ones....I felt at home with her care for us!!thanks again!the 602 junior suite we stayed at ,was a great place to dream and sleep....the excursion to the national park was awesome !!!for the day drives around the islands we had a great help of mr Ning!!we wish we could have stayed a bit longer in this paradise!!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aristeidis M
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Aristeidis M,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this kind review and for sharing your overall positive experience online. I am very proud to read that our associates’ special attention and warm hospitality played an essential part in your memorable holiday experience and I will surely share your words of appreciation with the team, especially Mrs. Lek, they work hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality!

Thank you once again for your encouraging words of appreciation, we all sincerely hope to welcome you back to our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” very soon for another lifetime vacation!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

It's one of the best hotels We have ever stayed at so far....and believe me I have been traveling a lot ....it's expensive as someone could expected ....but at least you get what you 've ordered!,!its our second night here and I will tell you the rest when I leave !!in a week or so!!!the staff can't speak English well so there's a bit of misunderstanding ,,,the food seems to be ok and no stomach problems yet ...thank god!we will be having massages in the spa and I will let you know how it was.....there's just only a male therapist !why!?

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aristeidis M
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear boy12,

Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback. I truly am sorry to hear that your stay is not up to expectations. I admit that our prices are probably not the cheapest on the island however, we consistently deliver the quality deserving of that price tag. Your feedback regarding to the English, I have shared your comment to our training manager to improve our team’s English skill.

Regarding to the food in all resort outlets, it is an important and we recognize that and that is why, our Executive chef will look into the hygiene, quality and taste. We strictly follow our IHG hygiene standards. We are sure that you will not get stomachache during your stay.

Thank you once again for choosing InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort as your preferred resort. My associates and I do look forward to hosting you again at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff”!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We usually stay on Chaweng Beach when we visit Samui but we wanted to check out the west side of the island for something new - and to see the sunsets. I'm a Priority Club Gold member and had some points to drop so I spent them here.

We took the ferry from the mainland (a little odd I know, taking the budget transit option when you're staying in a place like this) as it was much cheaper than flying direct (much, much cheaper). You can see the hotel from the boat as you approach Samui, perched on the side of a huge hill. I was getting excited.

We were met by a taxi driver who also happened to work at the InterCon. He told us how amazing the place was before we even arrived. It's a short ride from Nathon Pier and you know you're far from all the action of the big beaches. We drove past a few high-end restaurants and the Mummified Monk (which we said we'd visit but never did).

Check-in was nothing short of inspirational. It was a jaw-dropping experience, made so by the view from the open-air lobby. Thankfully we arrived late afternoon when it was sunny and I was overcome with that "I've arrived" feeling. Any photos you can see here - or even on the official website - will fail to encapsulate the true awesomeness of the views at this hotel.

Being a Gold Priority Club Member we had special treatment when we arrived, although I don't think it was any different for anyone else. We were checked in by what I think was a French member of staff. The hotel employs lots of non-Thais which is really rare in the country - but makes the place a real world-class experience.

We had a basic room at the hotel, not one of the fancy villas, but it didn't matter. Our room was awesome. My partner thought it was on the small side but I disagreed. It was decorated in quite a traditional way (my parents would love it) but it was modern enough for me to be very happy. There was a massive terrace/balcony area which overlooked the sea - and the sunsets - but was very private. The bed was unbelievably comfortable - I slept very well.

The bathroom was huge and very well-equipped. Ours had a huge tub, a rain shower and a regular shower, all in an open area. The toiletries are provided by the Thai company Thann - of which I have been a fan all my adult life. Needless to say we hid a few in our toiletry bag - and even purchased more from the Thann store in BKK. They also provide small pouches of detergent. I did feel like I was lowering the tone a little but I did wash a few t-shirts - laundry service was too expensive.

Aah, expensive. Yes. The hotel is rather pricey. It's not that it's prohibitively expensive, or hyper-inflated compared to other hotels, but the issue is that you don't have any options. There's no shop in the hotel which sells basics which is a shame (soft drinks etc) and is something which I would've found handy - and I know the guests with families would like (although the other guests we saw appeared to be rather well-off). It's good for a few days but any longer and I would've really worried about what we were spending in the bars and restaurants. However, it's an InterContinental and as far as they go it wasn't bad - and everything is good value for money, even in Thailand.

There are so many wonderful pools at this hotel. We experienced the pool by the beach and the Orange Pool (they have them in every colour). The orange pool was hidden towards the top of the property and we were the only people there one afternoon. It was small and beautiful (made orange by the colour of the tiles they use). The beach pool was fantastic and that's where we spent most of our time. There were loads of people around and lots of kids but I hardly noticed them (very well behaved children). The staff at the pool were amazing and couldn't be more helpful - they chat, lay out your towels and give you glasses of iced water when you sit down. Awesome.

The beach is gorgeous and relatively isolated compared to others on the island. You don't get touts. You don't really even get passers by - there are hardly any other hotels on the "strip". It is very private and I loved it. The hotel also has a huge pier you can walk out on which gives you a great view of the property looking back.

The gym is amazing! Each time I used it I was on my own. It had loads of great equipment and I felt I had three fantastic workouts which I always feel extra proud of when away from home.

You have to walk a lot here and there are lots of stairs. To get to the beach and back to our room we had to negotiate with hundreds of stairs and roped walkways cutting through the jungle hillside. It was great fun - you hardly noticed it. Most guests seemed to wait for taxi buggies though, which was sad.

The Air Bar looked amazing and we tried it one night (we were also given two free cocktail vouchers when checking in). The staff were a bit disappointing here as they didn't really pay any attention to anyone. We mentioned this to the duty manager who apologised. We felt incredibly embarrassed about doing so though as it was clear word got around and it was as if all other staff wanted to make up for it - which they more than did. The restaurants we tried onsite were amazing too. The Thai food in Amber is amazing - try the yellow curry.

The property is huge and you can spend ages exploring it. One recommendation I have is that you walk a few minutes down the beach and check out the I - Talay Nasai Garden & Restaurant. We ate here as much as we could (the InterCon was expensive) - and had lunches and dinners here. These guys obviously make a roaring trade from InterCon guests (it was always full of them), escaping the high prices and wanting free wifi here. It was a great little place and complimented the rest of our stay.

There was an unholy storm when we were there, on the same night as Manager's Cocktails (which we attended). It was so severe and so sudden it almost flooded the lobby area. Being British we didn't hide in our rooms and went out to explore, and ended up watching it all unfold. The staff reacted incredibly to the weather and it was amazing to see their dedication to their work and the property. Manager's Cocktails were great too - the manager and his team were on hand and very sociable - once again reminding me that we were in a world-class property.

Staff throughout the hotel are very friendly and always stop and say hello. They sometimes seem to pre-empt your needs too which I think is a sign of good training and high standards.

Check-out was a little odd. The lady on the desk seemed disinterested and if you're familiar with my theories on how these guys are the first and last memories guests have of a hotel then you'll know how peculiar I would've found it. Concierge was great though and we got a hotel car to take us to the other side of the island immediately (not difficult if you're paying $45 I guess!).

We spent the rest of our time on the island on Chaweng. It was painful to leave the InterContinental but I feel my soul has been able to tick a world wonder off its list of things to do and places to stay. I would love to come back here - and actually, it doesn't work out any more expensive than many of the pricier properties we found on the main beaches (much less in some cases, which is odd). Saying this, I want to go back right now and see one more sunset. I desperately want to go back and will make sure I do - in this life or the next.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank moaksey

Dear moaksey,

We would like to thank you for taking the valuable time to describe our wonderful view, accommodation, facilities and services with such care. It is highly appreciated.

The whole InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam team is glad to read through your detailed feedback and finding out that your stay with us was great! It makes us feel proud that our daily efforts in doing our very best to exceed our guests’ expectations, is working. As regards to the prize of our product you have mentioned, but in return we guarantee consistent top quality products and experiences provided by our highly trained teams. We work very hard on keeping consistent service standards and your review will inspire us to maintain yet keep innovating from a product point of view.

Hope we don’t have to wait very long for your second visit to our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff”!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have stayed (family including two kids 4 and 6 yo) in InterContinental 5 nights in August 2013. This was our second time in Thailand, the previous one being Anantara in Hua Hin.Just a stopover, on our way back from visiting some of Europe. We were again amazed by amazing service.

I have liked the location and remoteness of the resort. It feels like you are in the jungle, descending every day to the beach through a dense garden, crossing suspended bridges. Who ever travelled with small kids probably knows what challenge it is to find good accommodation for 4 people. We had panoramic villa, lot of space and character. Kids in separate bedroom. Very big living room with nice view to the sea above the tree tops. We have also used pool bar a lot, borrowed sailing equipment and used the kids club, did couple of excursions ... and so the time passed. Actually each trip felt like the time stolen from the resort.

It would be even better to have slightly bigger choice of drinks in the pool bar.:)

Very good service, lot of people contributing and I wish I could remember all the names. But special thanks to Meow who walked us on the first day to beach showed all facilities and took care of us daily whenever she saw us.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear sewg,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed a relaxing vacation and mentioned that we are “One of the best” at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff”! I am very proud to hear that your experience with us was impeccable and our service was flawless, rest assured that I will share your positive feedback with our team, especially Meow.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort again soon and invite you to have a look at our offers including attractive “Family Retreat” – packages.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had been here for celebrating friendship day we booked villa here , the place is .... no words to praise it .. its been the best till now i have ever seen. The property is nice huge and at beautiful location on the hills on one side and beach on another. The entrance is so impressive and makes you stress free of long travel !! you feel relaxed entering this resort immediately. The villa is spacious and awesome with small swimming pool of your own. You have all the amenities that a luxury place can have including Jacuzzi , premium drinks in mini bar , lighting in the room ... the list is long. The place is costly but worth for what you pay. If you are seafood lover then you have nice beach restaurant with barbeque and you love the dinner here also you have a AIR BAR where in you can have couple of drinks on top of resort with nice view of sea! the gym here is fully equipped and also main pool is of full size for those who enjoy swimming. Location is bit far from centre but you have free drop and pick up by bus of resort twice a day. The water sports lover also can have full fun if booked in time. The best place in this is SPA you have excellent treatment here but bit costly. The staff is very attractive and polite , one of the best courteous staff i have ever seen they kept me waiting for 3 hours for room but there gesture could keep me cool as he offered us free lunch for this !!! nice training but management should look in to this as this was longest ever waiting i ever had also i was disappointed to learn that since i booked thru travel agent web site they did not credit my reward points even if i am member of IHG since long!!! This made me restrict this to very good instead of excellent.

Room Tip: if you are deep pocket then go for POOL VILLA
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear GoldieMumbai,

It is a real pleasure to read that you love our Beachfront Pool Villa, the luxury villa for your relaxing holiday in Koh Samui, your portrayal of “the luxury place” puts a smile on our face. Thank you so much for complementing not only the villas but also Air Bar, restaurant, Lobby, gym and pools as well as Baan Thai Spa.

The villa did not reach on time does not reflect InterContinental standards that we strive hard to maintain, please accept my sincere apologies. The Housekeeping department has been informed of this feedback. Regarding your comment on the reward points, we have to follow our IHG policy and standards that does not count any points from travel agent or online travel agent booking.

We are truly delighted that you had such a great vacation with us in Koh Samui and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taling Ngam
#6 of 30 in Mae Nam
Six Senses Samui
Six Senses Samui
#28 of 185 in Bophut

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!