“Superb view, spacious room, nice massage”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Bangkok, Thailand
“Superb view, spacious room, nice massage”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Located on the cliff allows you to see superb 180 degree seaview from lobby & breakfast area, as well as from front buildings. Nice private beachfront. Spa is great & relaxing.
Breakfast is both variety & good quality. Location is pretty far south of the island, good if you want a good time staying most of the time at the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in front building if you want seaview. Room are quite big. Double storey room villa on the bac...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear SarinM,

Thank you very much for your kind review and for complementing our great spa, the hospitality provided by our associates as well as the quality of our breakfast. Referring to the location, our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” is located within the exclusive enclave of Taling Ngam Bay on the unspoilt west coast of the tropical resort island of Koh Samui. Renowned as the best spot on the island for sunsets, the resort is set in a quiet, secluded location and offers inspiring views over the Gulf of Thailand and the Five Islands beyond. We also provide many activities for free of charge to our guest such as 7 swimming pools, private beach, fitness 24 hour, sailing, Kayaking, 2 tennis courts, etc.

Thank you very much for staying with us, your trust in our service encourages us to continue creating a wonderful holiday experience for our guests! We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Stephane Duchenne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed 5 days in May for our wedding anniversary. Arrived in a huge hotel reception with a warm welcome by English-speaking staff. Language can be a challenge for staff who spoke little English and once in a while we found some staff with little motivation to serve leaving tiredness on their faces. We stayed in a suite that was slightly run down as reflected on the walls and floorings. Breakfast was a huge highlight with great spread of food. Lunch and dinner were equally tasty. Visit to the spa is a must but there was little comfortable area for resting after treatment. The beach front could be improved with more shades. Overall, good experience but little over priced for what it can offer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarpeDiemSG
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear CarpeDiemSG,

Thank you for taking your time to share with us your feedback. I am glad to hear that you and your love one had a wonderful stay for 5 nights for your wedding anniversary at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” and love our breakfast at Amber, the restaurant that gain the Thailand’s Best Restaurant 2013 award by Thailand Tatler.

I take note of your comment regarding spa resting area and the parasol at our private beach.

Thank you once again for choosing InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort as your destination hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and I hope you will try our seven swimming pools, which have different colour!!

Warm regards,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My company had a Board Offsite Meeting at the hotel in June 2013, we were welcomed by the friendly staff and the General Manager. The price was reasonable.. thanks to the GM!.. We had a great stay at the hotel and the Board meeting had ended successfully, thanks so much to the excellent weather, fantastic view from the Hotel and not forget wonderful service from the friendly staff. The Thai food we had for lunches and dinner were great.

As the organizer of the event, I was overwhelmed by their kind assistance and hospitality. Amongst others, Timmy was so helpful when my Tun Chairman wanted to change his room and to me and my colleague when we had problem with the hp, as he gave his extra hp for my colleague to use, Pom was kind enough to entertain my Board of Directors when they last minute wanted to have cocktail at the AirBar to see the sunset.. , Johan was always my victim when I wanted to look for assistance because he was everywhere.(lol)...great!. Hiro was always attended to my request for transport, even though, I bet some people would be annoyed...Apple as the Sales representative, I think she has lost few pounds just to entertain us. Special thanks to Mr. Stephane Duchenne, the GM himself and his assistant, Stephane! they were always visible around the hotel and helpful too. They want to be the best and it truly shows.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Lailatul M,

Thank you very much for this great review and for complementing our wonderful service, Thai food as well as the fantastic view. I am very pleased to read that our associates manage to make your Board Offsite Meeting at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” an unforgettably meeting one.

I have shared your comments with our team members mentioned in your review and they were happy to read it too, especially Timmy, Pom, Johan, Hiro and Apple.

Thank you once again to choose us as your Board Offsite Meeting destination in Thailand. We hope to welcome you back to our resort in the near future, hopefully for one of your meeting to come.

Warmest regards,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed in June 2012 for 5 nights in this hotels.
I only have one word to descript this hotel - Awesome.
The view from the lobby & in our room is simply breath taking. My son descript it the best - This is Life!!!!
This is such a wonderful stay that we stay on for another night.
I cannot find anything to fault this hotel. It's one of the best hotel that we have ever stay.
It has such a high standard & with such a wonderful view of the sea & super cosy & nice room, the wonderful experience that we stayed & enjoy here, will live with us for a long time & we are looking to be back to this hotel soon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Garysoon68,

Warm greetings from Awesome resort in Koh Samui!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an elaborate review, we are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay for 5 nights with us and enjoyed our nice room and wonderful views of the sea. We strive to make all of our guests stays memorable.

My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to you “Home on a Beautiful Cliff” on your upcoming trip to Koh Samui.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I go to some crappy hotel and I get bad service and I tell myself, "Well, you kinda get what you pay".

Then there's the Samui Intercon.

I never felt more unwanted at a hotel during the checkin. First no one welcomed us, then after 5 minutes or so a woman asked us for both our passports and disappeared with them. another 5-10 minutes later I thought I saw another woman working to check us in. No cooling water, drink, or even a wet towel -- did they forget they're in Southeast Asia? Finally after about 20 minutes we were checked-in.

Then I found out the safe in the room was locked. So we went out to meander around the property and we came back to the room at 6:53 pm to see a letter on the bed inviting us to drinks with the hotel staff between 6-7 pm. They couldn't have told us this during check-in?

Charging THB 200 to drive us to La Cuisine? I paid THB 100 to get from the Renaissance to Lamai on a songthaew -- okay, this is a hotel car, but for such a distance you'd think it'd be complimentary.

They also neglected to give us the "exotic skin care welcome gift" and when I informed the front desk about this you'd think they'd go all customer service and just give it to me. No, it was as if I was trying to score another one and they kept telling me how it should've been placed on the bed during turndown. "NO YOU FSCKWITS IT WASN'T ON THE BED AND I DON'T CARE HOW MANY TIMES YOU REPEAT THAT, IT -WASN'T- ON THE BED!" Of course the spa also forgot to give us the "tea gift" that came with the package. Look, these "gifts" are nothing major, but it's the principle, and making me ASK FOR BOTH just makes me feel cheap and demanding.

We went down to Flames restaurant at around 8 pm and discovered they had run out of crabs and only had 1 fish left for the bbq. What the hell? So we went up to Amber ... and you know, if you're going to serve westernised Thai food, at least make sure you have a good western selection, but I have never had such terrible foie gras that it's tasteless, or such tough and overcooked pork chop.

The serenity hideaway package also promised a 90 minute PRIVATE yoga session. So we signed-up for it to discover that private meant we're sharing one teacher with another couple and a woman and her daughter. Worse, the practice platform had red ants crawling near my mat -- it was near impossible to "relax" at the end of the practice when the teacher asked us to close our eyes and played calming noises with his mini gong. All I could think of was "don't come near me, don't come near me".

Then there's the renovation ... we walked down to our room and I could've sworn we were at some run down apartment building. Art works were hanging tilted (and this seems to be the case in general all over the hotel property), roughly painted walls outside our room (we hadn't seen the renovation work going on elsewhere yet when we first got taken to our room), mattresses standing against the wall opposite our door. Cleanliness also seems to be an issue: the mens' toilet near the infinity pool has a strange smell to it, one stall has no light for at least a day, spider web in the toilet stall (for at least two days) that has the light, and one day the main pool by the beach had this ... accumulation ... floating on one of the corners near the bar.

That said, the staff at the fitness center and the kids centre (yet another mystery of the hotel: why am I calling the kids centre to sign-up for the yoga session?) were just amazing and friendly. The front desk staff, on the other hand ... one in particular needs to learn how to smile or at least not make guests feel like she's doing us a favour checking us in. Two other ladies that I interacted with are more pleasant and accommodating, but that said, the front desk is either under-staffed, staffed by incompetents, or both. I never got the sense that they knew what they were doing as they seemed distracted and trying to keep things under control.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank altanone
Dear altanone,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent holiday experience.

Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the service that you received. We have taken note and shared with our teams and training department for corrective action and I will follow up to ensure similar incidents could be avoided in the future. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Thank you once again for sharing your comment and we do hope that we will have the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I cannot understand why this hotel is one of the 1000 places to visit before you die.
It is a nice property with a lot of comfort nice pool and a beach just to look at it, is not possible to swim. Service is very bad you do not feel in Thailand on the contrary of the other places in Thailand people here hardly smile, Buggy service to beach and Flame restaurant is not well organized. The only place in the resort people is nice warm and smiling by the beach-pool bar.
Rooms all have a nice view and they are clean. You need one hour to arrive its quite far from the airport is in the other side of the island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Copito10
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Copito10,

Thank you so much for taking your time to give us feedback on TripAdvisor. I truly am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. The areas for improvement have been brought to the attention of the respective department heads to share with the team.

“Wai (Thai greeting) and smile” is a core value for all of us and I am truly disappointed that you did not feel the warmth that we work so hard on. We will work harder on this very important aspect.

I do apologize for this as well as the fact that the buggy pickup did not arrive on time. I have passed this on to Director of Guest Service to share with the rest of our team to avoid repetition.
In other side, I’m happy to hear that you love our nice view room and our beach bar team.

Dear Copito10, I sincerely thank you for your feedback. I can assure you that we will continue to work hard and strive to meet every guest expectation. I do genuinely look forward to welcoming you back.

Sydney
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I've always like Intercontinental resorts and recently stayed at the one in Bali and loved it. This one, however, though a very nice and expansive property, was a very frustrating 4 days. We were 2 families and booked 2 villas (not at a cheap rate either) and the villas were big enough but dated - the towel handle broke off in my hand!
The most frustrating part was the staff. As in all Thailand hotels, they are very nice and sweet as can be BUT do not know a thing! We bought the Family Retreat package, where our kids eat free. At EVERY meal, we had to explain over and over to the staff cos they did not know what and how to charge! We ended up having to carry the GM letter listing the inclusions all the time so that the staff could read it - but that didn't stop us from waiting for them to figure it out everytime we asked for the check.
Second most frustrating is the Tour we booked. DO NOT book with TK Tours. The hotel promoted this operator so nicely on their ipad - false advertising. 1st - they can to pick us up in a truck with no seat belts for kids and rusty bars so we couldn't even hold on for dear life. We were taken to a little shack which looks like a homeless shelter. We'd booked the 'traditional' long-tail book - which is a wooden boat with a littler motor. We got on and the captain started up WITHOUT giving us and the 4 kids life jackets!! It was when it started getting scarily choppy when we adults scrambled for life jackets and put them on our kids in a rush! Panic! The snokeling spot was murky and kids got bored in 10 mins. The supposed 4 hr trip ended in under an hour cos we just wanted it to end!
Intercontinental is a TOP CLASS brand - is it not? Why would they ERODE THE BRAND with such a budget-low-class operator that compromises on safety??
So, I wanted to bring all this feedback to the GM before it ended up here. Met with the EAM (GM was busy) and he said he'd sorted out the dinner bill (that had the biggest dispute from the staff) but after that, the meals remained the same - us having to show the letter.
Some tips if you stay there: theres a small resort next door with good massage that's half the price and if you want to slum it, there are 2 ladies who set up a hut on the beach a little further down. The location is far from any decent shopping or nightlife.
Ok, in the end - Check out time. Wow - I had the ask the cashier to do no less than 5 rebates and reprint the bill cos so many of the meal charges were wrong. Took us 40mins in total to check out, with me on my calculator! Terrible end to what was meant to be a nice break.
I hope your sales and marketing team can better communicate what they sell to the staff so that your procedures can be put in place to deliver on that sale. Also, book that tour as a customer and see if it is of Intercontinental standard -it IS your brand that is worth protecting, is it not?

Room Tip: 2 bedroom villa is huge but aged. Get one close to the lobby cos it takes so long for a buggy to com...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BryLuk
Dear BryLuk,

Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback. I truly am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. Your feedback regarding the towel handle is taken note of. While we are confident that our Housekeeping team would have checked up any furniture, my apologies if they were missed. Just to advise you, to ensure our rooms, suites and villas are in good condition, apart from the daily cleanings and inspections, we carry out a strict preventive care “Maintenance Program,” wherein rooms, suites and villas are taken out of order for 1 – 3 weeks to refurbish. I would appreciate if you can let us know you room number through the same e-mail address that you used for reservations.

I take note of your feedback regarding the team member and check out process. We are confident that our team would have known any package inclusions, my apologies if they were perhaps a miscommunication or lack of understanding.

As for the providing Tour from our Concierge team, I believe, each our chosen company contract works in quality with safety and also we had mentioned you all of each tour detail. Anyway our Concierge team has been made aware of this and the team shall pay closer attention to details of each tour safety standard.

Dear BryLuk, thank you very much for extending compliments. I sincerely appreciate you giving us valuable feedback and pointing out key issues that can be worked on. I hope this one visit does not mar your perception of InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort and you will give us another chance.

Warmest regards,

SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort
The Tongsai Bay
The Tongsai Bay
#5 of 186 in Bophut

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!