“Fantastic experience”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This Hotel has been open for about a year and it ticks ALL the boxes for luxury and indulgence. Fantastic room (we had a beach villa) with every luxury that you could imagine in the room. The detail of comfort and service was above 5 star and the food indulgent and an experience in itself. The seafood at "Flames" was amazing. The "Air Bar" was only one of the incredible delights at this dream resort. Experiencing the sunset there sipping cocktails took me to nivana. ALL of the staff were friendly and efficent and just seemed to be there at the moment you needed something but never intrusive. We loved this resort so much, we are going back at Easter to relive the luxury and delight again. Oh yes....the Day Spa was magnificent and I had the best facial of my life.

Room Tip: Book at beach villa...magnificent
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Cherrylf55,

We are delighted to read about your recent stay at our resort. Thank you for your comments about our team and service! Your feedback is a testimony of our hard work.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort at Easter as mentioned in your review.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 14, 2013

On our family holiday we arrived at Koh Samui and were excited about the prospect of spending a week there. Having been spoiled at Intercontinental's Hua Hin resort before this would be hard to match but the staff made every effort to live up to that.

As the location is so secluded it was a little difficult to find but I guess that's what qualifies a hideaway. We loved the warm welcome and easy check in but were at first a little disappointed that we were appointed a pavilion room rather than the main Ocean View suite. In retrospect, however, this was probably the better choice.

The upper floor pavilion room was beautifully set up and furnished, very open but felt - probably due to the extra bed and baby cot - a little cramped. The view both from the balcony as well as the bed were terrific - after we had the TV taken out which was blocking the view. (Thanks for fulfilling this request!) For Royal Ambassadors the mini bar policy is somewhat restrictive, limiting the selection to soft drinks and beer only.

We loved the many different pools and made an effort to at least take a morning swim once in each of them. Our favourites, however, were the beach pool (which could offer an area of shade in the shallower kids area) and the main infinity pool. Unfortunately, the beach is not that inviting to swimming but the pool is a good substitute. As soon as we entered the pool area there was always one of the staff to cover the selected sunbeds with towels, serve drinks and a few bites.

As the location is a little remote we opted for the hotel's restaurants some evenings, all of which offer great quality food even though the menus could have offered a bit more variety between the different restaurants. The beach restaurant is fabulous for a relaxed family dinner with your feet in the sand and an after dinner drink at the fireplace under the stars ... really enjoyed that! A must-see is also the Air-bar on top of the cliff for a sundowner cocktail - views of the ocean and the breathtaking sunset.

We found the staff very helpful and knowledgeable in providing advice on things to do and see and places to eat around the island and took to exploring it a little in the afternoons (be sure to walk up to Waterfall #2 and see the hustle and bustle of Chaweng ... to be glad to be able to get away from it again and retreat to Baan Taling Ngam). We had wanted to take the snorkelling trip to Aong Thong with the hotel's speed boat but unfortunately the minimum number of passengers was missed by one which we found somewhat sad.

Room Tip: Tropical pavilion rooms or main building suites offer the best views
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jl_hh

Dear jl_hh,

Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review and delighted to read you have enjoyed your recent holiday with your family, especially regarding the stunning views, culinary highlights and Tropical pavilion suite as well.

My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to you “Home on a Beautiful Cliff” on your upcoming holiday to Koh Samui.

Warm regards

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Having just returned from 10 days in Koh Samui staying at this fabulous hotel, we couldnt recommend it enough to anyone seeking a totally relaxing, purely indulgent holiday without paying a fortune.

We wanted a quiet location and this resort was ideal, away from the chaos, yet with plenty to do, we could have been the only people in the hotel despite it being at 100% occupancy.

We booked a Premier Ocean View King Room, and couldnt believe our luck when we checked in and were told of our upgrade to their flagship One Bedroom Beachfront Pool Villa - and we certainly werent disappointed. Not that we would have been disappointed in the original selection, but the beachfront pool villa was at another level.

Apart from the occasional fabulous seafood meal on the beach at I-Talay 3 minutes walk along the sand, we didnt leave the resort. The facilities were amazing, the sunsets to die for, and the Dirty Martinis the best ever!

Luke, the lovely Aussie chef did wonders in the kitchen(s) and the food in every location was terrific.

Cant stop raving, and couldnt recommend this place more... Will be back for sure.

Room Tip: If your budget stretches to a One Bedroom Beachfront Pool Villa do it! Ask for one of the ones from...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kylie W

Dear Kylie W,

We are delighted to read about your recent stay at our resort – the views, the setting and the overall design is quite remarkable indeed. Thank you for your comment about the paradise view, Luke, our Beachfront pool villa and service, your feedback is a testimony of our hard work.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 6, 2013

So I reluctantly checked out of the hotel this morning, and after another excellent breakfast at Amber restaurant I headed for one of the cutest airports in the world which helped a little to take my mind off the fact hat I was no longer at the InterCon !

From the moment we arrived and met Johan to the amazing cocktails served up at Air Bar with the stunning views courtesy of Khun Pom and his super team of experts to the pool bar and Flames restaurant skillfully watched over by the creative and talented eye of Chef Luke and Khun Cake and the ever present Stephan I can honestly say that there is little to top this anywhere else in the world.

2 short days was all I could manage to get away for but it feels like a week and my batteries are charged up and I'm ready to face reality. There is nothing else to say - if you have a chance to visit this hotel take it with both hands and don't look back !!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Drsteve1016
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My daughters wedding was held at this resort on the 16th January 2013 and it was just magnificent! We spent a total of 4 nights here and wish we could have stayed longer to absorb more of the peace and quiet of this beautiful place. The wedding was a dream with the food, setting, flowers and all of the staff perfect. Most of the wedding guests stayed here as well and they are all still talking about how wonderful the whole experience was from the wedding to just relaxing at the pools, dining at the restaurants at night and enjoying their beautiful rooms. Once again, thank you to Stephan, Johan, Luke and all the staff who helped make this such a memorable occasion. We've already told our travel agent to recommend this resort to anyone who wants a complete rest in the most beautiful of settings and hope that we can return ourselves one day.

Room Tip: We stayed in the two bedroom apartment which had great views and lots of space for relaxing or enter...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is my family's favorite hotel in the WORLD.

We are from China and I booked this hotel a year ago before the trip to Samui. The trip is so important because it is a family reunion. I invited my parents and my sister's family to this reunion event at my cost, so I carefully chose the hotel and room type to ensure everyone would be happy. We made this trip in the National holiday of China which is the beginning of Oct 2012. We have total 6 adults and 2 children and stayed in the resort for 7 nights.

The three bedroom villa on the hill is amazing. I never thought it would be so nice when I made the reservation one year ago. Our group has three families thus the 3 bedroom villa is the best choice. And because I made the reservation so early I enjoyed a special opening preferential price which was so low that I cannot believe when I stepped into the villa. We were so proud when we were told by our private bulter Mr. Nicky we are the first guest staying in the 3 bedroom villa because it was just completed its rennovation in summer of 2012.

The space of our 3 bedroom villa is huge. We have a private swimming pool (15 to 20 meter long and about 8 meter wide), kids were so happy that they can swim anytime they wish, they looked energtic. The villa has two floors. Two bedrooms are located in 1st floor while one bedroom, dinning room, kitchen and a large balcony is located in 2nd floor. Again, the room space in the villa is HUGE. The bathroom is big, nice bath cream is offered generously, the brand is called HARN which is the most famous Thai local SPA brand and you can buy it from Samui airport if you want, quite expensive. The bed and pillar is comfortable. Overall, the room and private space of this villa is so great, thus the whole family was somehow reluctant to step out of it to enjoy beach and other 1 day activities.

Because of platinum ambassador of priorityclub, the whole family enjoyed a club benefit during the stay which includes all days non-alcohol drinks (we enjoyed the fresh fruit juices and fresh coconuts all days everywhere including in room service), free afternoon tea (either set up in lobby bar or in beach bar or in room service), happy hour of un-limited cocktail is air bar, 60 minutes SPA of 2, free round trip transportation to airport. The benefit is great. As a platinum ambassador, I am qualified a free room upgrade. But due to the 3 bedroom I booked is already the highest room type the resort has, thus they generously offer the club benefit for all family member, which made the stay much joyful and cost effective.

The resort is build on the hill. Our villa is on the top of the hill, which makes the view is fantastic. We can overlook the Andaman Sea and view the great sunset of Andaman Sea. The beach and the main public swimming pool is great. The pathway from the beach to lobby and to each building is also a wonderful design, I still remeber the suspension bridge.

The food and the drink offered by the resort is great. If can add more choice for breakfast, that would be even better. Here you can get the best fresh coconut in the world. Must try.

The last but not the least, I want to say thank you to our bulter Mr. Nakaret Butthuam on behalf of the whole family, it is YOU make our stay different. You are the best bulter we have ever had. Kids are missing you very much.

Room Tip: If you have 3 families, try 3 bedroom villa on the hill. Reserve as early as possible, as there is o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Wren Z
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I am a first time reviewer on Trip Advisor, and I usually don't do reviews but I had to sign up to write a review about this hotel and our experience there.
Firstly, it's a new hotel so the staff and management are quite inexperienced.
When we arrived there after a long journey our rooms were not ready and we had to wait for 2 hours in the lobby.
However, we experienced a very traumatic incident at this hotel and have contacted the IHG hotels regarding this-- we might even consider a legal case.
This hotel offers activities like kayaking and sailing at the beach. However these are conducted in the most unsafe and careless manner possible. There are no experienced life guards, the boats do not contain and emergency whistles or lights. My brother and I were lost at sea in a storm for hours until we had to be rescued by a private yacht in the ocean. Had the members of this yacht not seen us, our fate would have been different. Despite complains back at the hotel from our family members, no rescue boat was sent out. We were gone for a total of 4 hours.
In fact even after members of the yacht contacted the hotel they did not send a boat to pick us up from the yacht where we took shelter. Members of the yacht dropped us back to the hotel on a lifeboat.
The manager MR. Girodon was completely unaware of this and even after he was contacted by the head office regarding this complaint, his response was pathetic. He and his staff have been awfully negligent.
Koh Samui is a wonderful place, and the hotel does have great potential but I suggest you take your money else where..this hotel is too new and inexperienced , they lack responsibility and communication skills.
THe food is over priced and definitely not the best.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank NSV009

Dear NSV009,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent holiday experience.

I normally do respond to most of our reviews on TripAdvisor as I sincerely believe it is important to answer to both positives and not so good reviews and I did take a lot of time to answer to your particular feedback due to the fact that I had to get the emotion away and only state the sheer facts. It did therefore take me some time!

Firstly, I have to reinforce the fact that we, along with InterContinental Hotels and Resorts worldwide do comply with all health and safety standards and have extremely clear procedures, standards, processes, team training and spot checks operated at various levels and we do take our guests safety as our top priority! Furthermore, most guest would understand that an act of nature such as an expected storm is an issue which is hard to control, however, it needs to be addressed indeed and guests would need to be informed. Finally, we have been operating for 1 full year with Watersports being one of our very popular activity and we have enjoyed only positive feedback specifically on a Security stand point.

I am not going to go through in details to what has actually happened as we both know where the truth stands. I am disappointed however that a refused compensation claim becomes a retaliation on TripAdvisor, it should not be the platform for such. It is also disappointing to see that the life of our team members who went out looking for your family members at sea despite of the sudden weather conditions were not acknowledged and finally, there was no mention about your family members refusing our advice on security measures they had to comply with and decided to totally disregard them.... so much that we had to make sure that your family members do sign a disclaimer but their total irresponsibility put their life but also our team members life in danger.

The comments on the Management is therefore not even worth a reply.

I would suggest you basically choose a destination next time which is not confronted with sudden weather conditions so that your family members can disregard all safety measures, but for their own health and others, I would still strongly recommend they do!

Regards,

Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!