“Just magnificent”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My daughters wedding was held at this resort on the 16th January 2013 and it was just magnificent! We spent a total of 4 nights here and wish we could have stayed longer to absorb more of the peace and quiet of this beautiful place. The wedding was a dream with the food, setting, flowers and all of the staff perfect. Most of the wedding guests stayed here as well and they are all still talking about how wonderful the whole experience was from the wedding to just relaxing at the pools, dining at the restaurants at night and enjoying their beautiful rooms. Once again, thank you to Stephan, Johan, Luke and all the staff who helped make this such a memorable occasion. We've already told our travel agent to recommend this resort to anyone who wants a complete rest in the most beautiful of settings and hope that we can return ourselves one day.

Room Tip: We stayed in the two bedroom apartment which had great views and lots of space for relaxing or enter...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is my family's favorite hotel in the WORLD.

We are from China and I booked this hotel a year ago before the trip to Samui. The trip is so important because it is a family reunion. I invited my parents and my sister's family to this reunion event at my cost, so I carefully chose the hotel and room type to ensure everyone would be happy. We made this trip in the National holiday of China which is the beginning of Oct 2012. We have total 6 adults and 2 children and stayed in the resort for 7 nights.

The three bedroom villa on the hill is amazing. I never thought it would be so nice when I made the reservation one year ago. Our group has three families thus the 3 bedroom villa is the best choice. And because I made the reservation so early I enjoyed a special opening preferential price which was so low that I cannot believe when I stepped into the villa. We were so proud when we were told by our private bulter Mr. Nicky we are the first guest staying in the 3 bedroom villa because it was just completed its rennovation in summer of 2012.

The space of our 3 bedroom villa is huge. We have a private swimming pool (15 to 20 meter long and about 8 meter wide), kids were so happy that they can swim anytime they wish, they looked energtic. The villa has two floors. Two bedrooms are located in 1st floor while one bedroom, dinning room, kitchen and a large balcony is located in 2nd floor. Again, the room space in the villa is HUGE. The bathroom is big, nice bath cream is offered generously, the brand is called HARN which is the most famous Thai local SPA brand and you can buy it from Samui airport if you want, quite expensive. The bed and pillar is comfortable. Overall, the room and private space of this villa is so great, thus the whole family was somehow reluctant to step out of it to enjoy beach and other 1 day activities.

Because of platinum ambassador of priorityclub, the whole family enjoyed a club benefit during the stay which includes all days non-alcohol drinks (we enjoyed the fresh fruit juices and fresh coconuts all days everywhere including in room service), free afternoon tea (either set up in lobby bar or in beach bar or in room service), happy hour of un-limited cocktail is air bar, 60 minutes SPA of 2, free round trip transportation to airport. The benefit is great. As a platinum ambassador, I am qualified a free room upgrade. But due to the 3 bedroom I booked is already the highest room type the resort has, thus they generously offer the club benefit for all family member, which made the stay much joyful and cost effective.

The resort is build on the hill. Our villa is on the top of the hill, which makes the view is fantastic. We can overlook the Andaman Sea and view the great sunset of Andaman Sea. The beach and the main public swimming pool is great. The pathway from the beach to lobby and to each building is also a wonderful design, I still remeber the suspension bridge.

The food and the drink offered by the resort is great. If can add more choice for breakfast, that would be even better. Here you can get the best fresh coconut in the world. Must try.

The last but not the least, I want to say thank you to our bulter Mr. Nakaret Butthuam on behalf of the whole family, it is YOU make our stay different. You are the best bulter we have ever had. Kids are missing you very much.

Room Tip: If you have 3 families, try 3 bedroom villa on the hill. Reserve as early as possible, as there is o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Wren Z
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I am a first time reviewer on Trip Advisor, and I usually don't do reviews but I had to sign up to write a review about this hotel and our experience there.
Firstly, it's a new hotel so the staff and management are quite inexperienced.
When we arrived there after a long journey our rooms were not ready and we had to wait for 2 hours in the lobby.
However, we experienced a very traumatic incident at this hotel and have contacted the IHG hotels regarding this-- we might even consider a legal case.
This hotel offers activities like kayaking and sailing at the beach. However these are conducted in the most unsafe and careless manner possible. There are no experienced life guards, the boats do not contain and emergency whistles or lights. My brother and I were lost at sea in a storm for hours until we had to be rescued by a private yacht in the ocean. Had the members of this yacht not seen us, our fate would have been different. Despite complains back at the hotel from our family members, no rescue boat was sent out. We were gone for a total of 4 hours.
In fact even after members of the yacht contacted the hotel they did not send a boat to pick us up from the yacht where we took shelter. Members of the yacht dropped us back to the hotel on a lifeboat.
The manager MR. Girodon was completely unaware of this and even after he was contacted by the head office regarding this complaint, his response was pathetic. He and his staff have been awfully negligent.
Koh Samui is a wonderful place, and the hotel does have great potential but I suggest you take your money else where..this hotel is too new and inexperienced , they lack responsibility and communication skills.
THe food is over priced and definitely not the best.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank NSV009
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear NSV009,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent holiday experience.

I normally do respond to most of our reviews on TripAdvisor as I sincerely believe it is important to answer to both positives and not so good reviews and I did take a lot of time to answer to your particular feedback due to the fact that I had to get the emotion away and only state the sheer facts. It did therefore take me some time!

Firstly, I have to reinforce the fact that we, along with InterContinental Hotels and Resorts worldwide do comply with all health and safety standards and have extremely clear procedures, standards, processes, team training and spot checks operated at various levels and we do take our guests safety as our top priority! Furthermore, most guest would understand that an act of nature such as an expected storm is an issue which is hard to control, however, it needs to be addressed indeed and guests would need to be informed. Finally, we have been operating for 1 full year with Watersports being one of our very popular activity and we have enjoyed only positive feedback specifically on a Security stand point.

I am not going to go through in details to what has actually happened as we both know where the truth stands. I am disappointed however that a refused compensation claim becomes a retaliation on TripAdvisor, it should not be the platform for such. It is also disappointing to see that the life of our team members who went out looking for your family members at sea despite of the sudden weather conditions were not acknowledged and finally, there was no mention about your family members refusing our advice on security measures they had to comply with and decided to totally disregard them.... so much that we had to make sure that your family members do sign a disclaimer but their total irresponsibility put their life but also our team members life in danger.

The comments on the Management is therefore not even worth a reply.

I would suggest you basically choose a destination next time which is not confronted with sudden weather conditions so that your family members can disregard all safety measures, but for their own health and others, I would still strongly recommend they do!

Regards,

Arnaud Girodon

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Choosing a resort hotel for any holiday can prove a challenge, you look at 20 websites, talk to friends, speak with agents who all end up having 20 different views! Having completed that trip I settled on the resort for the family and booked two villa's and one room for the mother-in-law.....as we arrived we were met at the airport by our butler Nicky, who proved a gem through-out the 8 nights. He was there when required and would pop up when we were thinking, maybe we should ask Nicky! The resort layout combines the best of both worlds, from a truly brilliant lobby and bar to excellent pools located 10 meters from the beach with various dining selection, be it in the pool or by the pool! If you are looking to get or maintain your fitness then there is plenty of nice walks and a compact gym or of course use the pools to swim your way to fitness. You will for sure need to do some sort of activity as the food is first rate and the options excellent. Try a morning out with a resident chef who will take you to the market, make you, well teach you to cook the meal and sit down with you to enjoy the delights.
The resort is overall a reall joy and perfect for families with older kids, and the best part so friendly and safe. Make sure you take a few trips around the little island so you get a true sense of Koh Samui, an island that I for sure will return to, but I must make sure that Nicky is there to greet me as his butler touches gave the holiday that extra sparkle!
Happy days and safe travels!

Room Tip: The villas are great value for a family and via the InterCon Club offer some great added extras....b...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank JohnTGN
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Wasn't staying at the hotel but dropped in for cocktails at the Airbar at this hotel.

This is not your standard boring Intercon but a really stylish property and the Airbar is amazing. Probably one of my top three bars in the world actually mostly for the stunning view of the five islands and the sun setting.

The bar itself is very well laid out and had a DJ playing light trance so very chilled and relaxing. Wish I'd managed a second visit. Recommended for sundowners.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Speedbird747
Reviewed January 27, 2013

while most holiday destination hotels do not charge for kids this one does. interestingly while they offer complimentary breakfast for 2 adults charging for our son was a bit odd. hotel is great and located in a very quiet untouched area of the island. there is only one down side to this which is getting around. make use you rent a car. otherwise hotel provided transport inlusive car rental would be 3 times more expensive. lovely staff great beach.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank canavar1115
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here just for a couple of nights when driving around the island and it was the hotel that we liked the most. Very friendly staff, perfect rooms with marvelous view and everything you need to relax from busy west part of Samui. So location is not suitable for everyone but still. There is one very nice infinite pool near reception are where you provided with complimentary beautifully served fruits and water. We will return here this march and try spa because we haven't done it last year, hope it is nice as everything else in this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012
W Koh Samui
#6 of 30 in Mae Nam
9 mi away
Sandalwood Luxury Villas

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!