The location and amenities are unsurpassed - the views are so perfect you feel like you're on a film set.
We were upgraded from a regular room to a beach villa on arrival, which was generous and appreciated, and the villa was gorgeous.
Cleanliness and in-room facilities were superb.
The concierge team generally were all very helpful and friendly – we spoke to them several times a day and they were always able to assist and were prompt and courteous. The team manager (Johan) was especially good.
Room service was quick and well presented.
The buggy team and security team were nippy and cheerful.
Staffing levels were excellent – there was always someone nearby smiling and ready to help whenever we lifted our heads.
Food quality and choice was excellent
Cocktails were delicious and very reasonably priced
The not so good: the prices in-resort for food and drink
We eat out weekly in Knightsbridge and Mayfair and were amazed that the Intercontinental managed to match our usual bills from the Wolsey, the Savoy etc.
Main courses in any of the restaurants were £25 upwards, drinks £10 upwards (or £5 for a bottle of beer); desserts and starters £7-10 apiece. Not shocking in itself maybe, but given labour prices of £5pppd, and food prices elsewhere (in good independent beachside restaurants) of £8-10 per course, the markups were rapacious and shameless.
Wine was even worse - £18 per 175ml glass for Hardy's cabsav (yuk!) against a per-BOTTLE price of £15 for the same stuff in the supermarket down the road. So a mark up of 1,200% for driving the bottle 10k down the road and pouring it out - Impressive!
I expect sporty bar prices at 5*, but these were excessive. It all led to the general impression of being ripped-off at every opportunity, which was sad, as everything else was so perfect.
I raised the food/drink prices with the general manager who explained, "in beverage, our Resort has been positioned 10 to 15% cheaper than any of our top 5 stars competitor on the Island". This translates as, " our competitors are ripping off the tourists even more than us, so we can get away with it'. I see his point, but it's not really a very nice policy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam is renowned for its legendary status as Koh Samui’s first ever luxury resort. Nestled on a dramatic cliff of Taling Ngam, with spectacular views over the bay and the neighboring Five Islands. The resort features chic and innovative dining, seven swimming pools, 79 beautifully appointed rooms, suites and villas including the iconic Beachfront Pool Villas. Baan Thai Spa and the famed Air Bar complete the picture ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Baan Taling Ngam Resort And Spa
- Baan Taling Ngam Hotel Taling Ngam
- Hotel Baan Taling Ngam
- InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort Ko Samui