“The Intercontinental's view, yet the HolidayInn's service”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Once I stepped into the lobby, I thought the Intercontinental Samui did exceed my expectation. Yet once I was greeted by the guest agent, I definitely agreed with other comments here. The service , the staffs....I was speechless seeing those inexperienced and under-trained staffs doing their jobs.
Those who wear black polo shirts seem to be the management team who actually the only ones can solve your problems. Others put on an lack-interest attitude to serve their guests.

So, to sum up

It's a great hotel with such stellar facilities and view, yet its staffs and services just can't be par with any Intercontinental hotel. So if you don't mind to pay for the Intercontinental's view but having Holiday Inn service, then this is a great place to enjoy holiday

Here is my genuine advice to the management team : Training, Training and MORE Training.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank SunchaiBKK
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear UsTraveller_Pro

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your holiday experience at InterContinental Samui. This will be of great help in resolving our shortcomings. I am however disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. We have taken note of the shortcomings you have mentioned and we will ensure higher level of training to our front line team members. We greatly value your constructive feedback and I do hope this will not deter you from returning to our iconic resort! Please do get in contact with me if there is anything else I can be of assistance with. My email address is arnaud.girodon@ihg.com.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

First thing when you get there is the amazing view! I think from the lobby area and restaurant you will experience the most beautiful views everyday and I guarantee, they are just stunning.
I made so many great photo shots from there!

Once we arrived at the lobby we received a delicious welcome drink and already did not want to leave anymore!The check in and welcome was smooth and easy and their staff escorted us to the room explaining the facilities and the suite.

The suite had a fantastic design, very lovely and spacious with catching details. The bath amenities are amazing (finally a great hair conditioner!). The housekeeping did their job to perfection and also the minibar amenities are wonderful with a great choice of coffee and amazing tea choice. The tea is my new favorite now and I ended up ordering it from the internet once I was home because I missed it.

Their team is wonderful! Love love love them!! Beach Club, Front Desk, Housekeeping, Restaurants, Management etc... Well, everyone was as helpful as they could and extremely attentive. Housekeeping was very fast on any requests we had. The Concierges were providing great recommendations on 'where to go and what to do' focusing on my interests first. And each time we have called a buggy they were there always within 5 minutes (until we realized that it's not so far to walk actually ;o)) Also, when I was there, they were just building a bridge to get around easier which should be ready by now.

For your free time you can choose between the Spa, Gym and plenty of pools (7!!!) as well as the beach. Unfortunately we didn’t manage to try everything but that gives us the reason to come back :o)

Breakfast offers an extensive choice and invites you into the stylish open kitchen. There is Asian and Western breakfast - they even have sushi and sashimi as well as homemade jams, yogurts with cereals and fresh fruits, fresh blended juices and shakes and yessss (good-bye diet…) fresh fried doughnuts!

Make sure you have drinks at the Air Bar before dinner for Sunset. It’s just breathtaking!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HMSJ
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Dear HMSJ

We are delighted to read your review! The views, facilities and specially the team make InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Nam Resort a very unique property indeed. We have shared your raving feedback with all the various department mentioned, and they were very pleased. We are also thrilled to announce that the bridge connecting the resort to the beach is now ready for our guests!

We look forward to welcoming you back for a relaxing holiday and wonderful sunset drink at Air Bar!

Reviewed May 11, 2012

We had a 5 day holiday during Easter with our two kids. The hotel lobby is high up on a cliff. The view from the lobby of the beach, pool and hotel landscape is stunning. The other infinity pool is very tranquil. We also love our two bedroom villa which is extremely spacious. Both rooms are ensuite and sit at the lower level, and at the ground level, it has a large 6-seat dinning table which makes room service very enjoyable. The waiters set the tables for us. The sunset view from the open bar is the best we've ever had at any hotels. The fire dance is very artistic and not grueling. Better than anything we've seen.

However, there a few big disappoints:

1. The check in took forever. Our room was not ready until almost 3pm, although it should be ready by 2pm. We arrived at 12noon. They asked us to have lunch first, and then come back. But it still wasn't ready. They could have just told us to enjoy the hotel facilities first instead of hanging around without knowing how soon our room would be ready.

2. The check out also took more than 1 hour. We booked the family retreat package which allows kids to eat for free when you have paying adult. However, the detail terms of the offer is not clear to staff, and we keep receiving different suggestions and different interpretation of the offer. It seems the I-group's offer is not clear to all its properties. It was very tiring to explain each time when dinning in that we are on this package. No one knows about it. Upon leaving, I wrote a letter to the general manager but have not heard back from the hotel.

3. Not only the English language skill is very poor for a 5 star resort, they also don't seem that friendly, some are, but many are not.

I hope many of these shortcomings can be improved as it operates longer since it only opened since February 2012 because I do hope to go back there again. The landscape of the hotel and its villas are excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pickypinky
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Dear Pickypinky

Thank you very much for your review, we are delighted to read that you loved the resorts’ stunning views and the exotic landscape. The two-bedroom panoramic view villa is indeed a family haven. Thank you as well for sharing the shortcomings you experienced during your stay this would be of great help in resolving the service limitations. I am nonetheless disappointed that your stay did not fully meet your expectation.

We have reviewed the frontline issue you experienced during your arrival and departure with the concerned department, and reinforced the seamless course of action to ensure a smooth check in and check out experience. Regarding the English language we apologies that some of the team members have difficultly in expressing the language, however we have been providing ongoing English classes to the hosts to improve their confidence and language skills.

I do hope this will not deter you from returning, we do pride ourselves on providing the highest levels of “Thai hospitality” and services and what you experienced is most unusual. Please do get in contact with me regarding the letter as I have already replied to your letter. My email address is arnaud.girodon@ihg.com.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Stayed here recently for 4 days for a company trip with a big group, fantastic views, rooms and pools. Everything would have been perfect except for one really unpleasant experience with one of the staff that left a bitter taste in my mouth and a very bad impression. We wanted to go to Chaweng one evening which is the main area for shopping etc etc so we ask one of the hotel staff about arranging for a transport to town... The lady receptionist was really helpful and friendly and told us it would cost us 2000 baht for 2 ways by a mini van for the 8 of us and so we told her that we would like to arrange for it after our dinner. When we came back the lady was not around and there was another male staff there in her place by the name of Jean. We approached him and told him we would like top arrange for a trip to Chaweng. He picks up the phone and makes a call and says something in Thai and looks at us and said that it will cost 3000 baht for 2 ways. This was 1000 baht more than the price quoted by the previous receptionist. So this made us very suspicious. We told him that the girl working earlier told us it was 2000 baht for 2 ways to which he replied in an annoyed tone that she's gone home for the day and that if we still wanted to go it would cost us 3000 baht now. I ask him,"How could this be? Are there any other options? To which he replied, "No, this the only option and there is no other way. You want or not? " again with his annoyed look. All of us looked at each other and felt really trapped by the situation. Not because of the extra 1000 baht but because nobody likes the feeling of being ripped off especially in a place where you would expect to have professional hospitality. We had no other choice the hotel was up in the cliffs and there was no other way down. We discussed among ourselves and decided we had no choice. Just as we were about to accept the rip off deal, another lady working for the hotel came up and ask what was wrong and i ask her how much do they charge for transport to Chaweng for 8 of us and she said 2000 baht for 2 ways. The thai staff Jean immediately said looked at her and said something in thai angrily but it was too late we now knew for sure he was trying to rip us off. We now completely ignored him and told the lady that yes we would like to arrange it with her. We didnt even have to wait the transport was right at the lobby and boarded and left. The driver was really nice. I asked him while we were on the way how much for 2 ways just to make sure and he said 2000 baht for both ways.Honest guy too. We gave him a nice big tip for both ways on top of the 2000 baht.
Every other evening we paid the same amount for the same transport arrangement even with different drivers so this confirmed that our "reception/concierge" Jean was trying to make a quick buck off guests.
So if you do decide to stay here, watch out for this guy!
All the other staff were nice, helpful and always had a smile and we had had an amazing time apart from that incident.
I still give the hotel a thumbs up and big thank you to the rest of the of the team working there!
Good job!

Best Regards
Daniel Lois

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Danandjess

Dear Daniel

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback, we are delighted to read that you loved the resort, the views and the overall experience. Thank you as well for sharing the shortcoming you experienced this would be of great help in resolving the service limitations.

We have raised the issue mentioned with our team and proactive action steps have been established to solve this problem and circumvent such issues in the future.
I do hope this will not deter you from returning, we do pride ourselves on providing the highest levels of services and what you experienced is most unusual. Please do get in contact with me If may assist towards a return visit. My email address is arnaud.girodon@ihg.com.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed at the intercontinental samui for 3 nights at the end of april 2012. The hotel is brand new and still has some work in progress. This however did not affect our stay.
The hotel is set in the southwestern part of samui which is about 45 minutes from the airport and other tourist spots.
We chose the ocean view suite which is available in the main building and villas. Our room was on the upper floor of the villa with an unobstructed view of the ocean. The villas are all brand new and have excellent furnishings and amenities.
The hotel staff did everything to make our stay memorable. We took a one day trip to the anthong national park with the hotel and had a fantastic day out.

Food in the hotel is above average but the view of the lobby and restaurant more than made up for this shortfall.

One small problem we faced was the wireless internet which never worked in the villas on either of the days.

The concierge desk was very helpful and Johan did a great job to show us around as well as suggest places to visit in samui.

We spent the last 4 nights of our trip at 6 senses samui. Although the 6s is a different experience, I would give the Intercontinental a heads up; that too at half the price.

Dining tip: the 5 island restaurant is right next to the hotel. It is one of the best restaurants in samui and they offer a free ride to and from the hotel.

Room Tip: The villas have two categories: tropical pavilion which is on the lower floor and ocean suite which...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ankur_79
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Dear ankur_79

Thank you very much for your review and for sharing your positive comment. It’s always a pleasure to know that our team members exceed your expectations during your stay. Thank you for sharing some of the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay, we have informed our IT and engineering department to review this matter.

Thank you for your loyalty and we are looking forward to welcoming your back.

With warmest regards

Reviewed May 2, 2012

The Interconinental Group has recently taken over this hotel. This resort is fabulously located on a cliff overlooking the ocean. The view is fantastic and provides a great setting for afternoon cocktails and drinks.
We stayed in a family villa which was very well fitted out and provided us with everything we needed. The living space is huge and provides adequate room for everyone to do their own thing and for everyone to come together when required. Again, the views from our villa were majestic.
The various pools located around the resort are potentially the best you will ever see. Each with its own unique view of the landscape or seascape.
The food at the two resort restaurants was very good and provided our family with what we needed. It probably lacks a little bit of variety and you do need to get out of the resort and try other restaurants after a few days.
The resort is built on a cliff, which therefore means that there is lots of walking up and down hill. This is great for your fitness, but can be a little bit tiresome with small children. The resort however does offer golf cart service and will pick you up and delivery you anywhere in the resort at minutes notice.
It is certainly a great resort for family, friends alike.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank saltc

Dear Saltc

Thank you for the wonderful feedback and we are glad you enjoyed the InterContinental Samui experience with your family. Your kind compliments about the pools, views and cuisine is much appreciated. I have shared this with my Team and we are definitely thrilled to do even better.

We hope you will choose to stay with us on your next visit to exotic Koh Samui and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Best regards

Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed at the intercontinental with our family and spent an excellent Easter break week. The setting is magical; the beach is quiet with plenty of shade or sun. Our ocean view suite was very comfortable. The public and private spaces of the resort are decorated in a very serene setting, just as the “Serene” lobby lounge would suggest. There was obviously a high level of attention in the design and setting of the resort. The food was exceptional and we can’t really understand some of the reviews who comment on the costliness of the restaurants.

As well experienced luxury travelers, we found the restaurants very well priced and actually very reasonable compared to some of the other luxury resorts in Thailand. Flames restaurant did the trick for us: fresh fish arrives on the beach hours before dinner – a treat we couldn’t get enough of!

We loved the intercontinental so much that we began planning our return while lounging on the beach on the very last day. We can’t wait to be back

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Dear Andrew P

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent Easter holiday at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort. We loved your great review and delighted to hear you loved the design and the innovative cuisine. Your great feedback was shared with my team and we are glad to learn that you will return for you upcoming Koh Samui holidays.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taling Ngam
#6 of 30 in Mae Nam
Six Senses Samui
Six Senses Samui
#28 of 185 in Bophut

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!