“Amazing and friendly”

La Cuisine
Ranked #10 of 20 Restaurants in Taling Ngam
Cuisines: Diner, French, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Close to the Intercontinental Hotel inBaan Taling Ngam La Cuisine propose only French gastronomy, in a lovely typical Thai village *Foie gras mi-cuit Snail fricassee * Sweetbread with morels * Angus Beef fillet cep mushroom sauce * Veal kidneys old style mustard sauce * Monk fish Champagne and truffles beurre blanc * Scallops in " mille feuille * Home made ice cream and fresh pastries * On request, Fresh local lobsters * Large choice of french wines * Our restaurant do not accept a lot of people so for a romantic and quiet dinner in one of the last authentic Thai village, we preconise to book your table * La Cuisine is 15 metter of the beach in Baan Taling Ngam Village, through the elephant gate next to the temple. Apology no credit card
Phatthalung
“Amazing and friendly”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The French "delices", good and refined, excellent wines, a gem in the middle of nowhere. Try, it values...!!!!

Visited June 2013
jerome c, Owner at La Cuisine, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Captain Deedee,

Thank you very much for visit and appreciate La Cuisine when you stay in Samui.

I hope to see you soon again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
“What an unexpected gem!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just back from dinner at this eatery and experiencing food coma (in a very good way).

The last place anyone would expect to find excellent French food would be in this small town of Baan Taling. While we are no experts at French cuisine, I think there is no escaping the GREAT food we had at La Cuisine this evening.

When I first saw the reviews on TA, I thought to myself that it should not be too difficult to achieve number one on a list of just 8 restaurants. However, many of the reviewers came across as very genuine and since we were a tad tired of the disappointing food at our resort, we decided to give La Cuisine a shot.

We were met by Jerome and his assistant and it was a quiet evening for them. Jerome served us some Pernod as our digestifs and gave us some food recommendations. Two of us chose the fillets of beef and another, the scallops. We were going to skip the starters (I think we were all unsure of the results at that point :)) but we decided to throw caution to the wind and to go for the foie gras since it was written about by so many other reviewers.

The foie gras was served with a bread basket. I think we stuffed ourselves silly on that as we were all quite full when our mains arrived. The broiche was excellent!

I don't know my French food but I do know my beef and it was done to perfection...... It was much better than the most recent steak I had at a respectable steak restaurant in Singapore and it was served with the most gorgeous gravy. The scallops were also very tasty and generously portioned.

After our mains, Jerome presented us with a sorbet made with Gewürztraminer wine. We had initially guessed it to be lychee sorbet and so we were surprised it was made from wine. Very light and refreshing, perfect to end off the heavy dinner.

There were some previous reviews that were unkind with regards to the pricing and 'pretence' of La Cuisine. I think that this restaurant, while not cheap by Thai standards but definitely not exorbitant, is well able to back up its pricing with the quality of the ingredients used. After all, it can't be cheap to have the foie gras and all the other necessary ingredients air flown weekly to this off beat town.

Jerome is very proud of his creations and he certainly does not hide the fact that he is not a trained chef. Notwithstanding, IMHO, the pride that comes with the cooking beats any number of Michelin stars when the food is cooked with a heart. Certainly no pretences there!

This place is not easy to find but give Jerome a call and he will most certainly be happy to help. An extremely friendly and helpful Parisian, strange but true! ;)

Also, please go with cash as they can't take credit cards due to problems with the swiping machines.

Dear Mad4bags,

Thank you very much for your very kind review and understanding the daily challenge of French gastronomy in this small and authentic village in Samui.

I hope to see you soon back.

Paris
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“awesome french food!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

when riding around on the island, escape from the busy and noisy east coast and go to the west one! Stop at Taling Ngam,facing the 5 Islands, you'll be delighted with the peaceful and beautiful surroundings, and to complete this unique moment, stop by La Cuisine, held by a french couple, Jérôme & Florence. Absolute stunning food, had one of my best meals since I've been on the island! And the decoration of the restaurant is beautiful! Definitely worth going there!! And once there, before or after dinner, cross the street and go to the clothes shop opposite the restaurant, beautiful dresses there!!

Dear Marie 118.

Thank you very much for your very kind review and we hope to see you again soon for a french dinner.

singapore
“Little secret hideout”
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We were sick of eating hotel food and Thai cuisine, was searching for alternative food on trip advisor and found this unpretentious, authentic French restaurant hidden in a small village in Taling Ngam.

It was not easy for us to find this place as the map on the trip advisor is not accurate. I suggest if anyone were to look for this little hideout, call the restaurant for direction.

Nevertheless, although the restaurant decor is a far cry from the fine dining places we have visited in KSM, the unasuming, homely design and friendly host, Jerome, made us felt really comfortable and at ease having our dinner there.

We ordered the foiegras as starters, it was very authentic and tasty, the portion was so generously that I was actually quite full for my main course. For the mains, I had monkfish served with champagne truffle sauce, and my husband had roast beef served with gnocchi and mushroom sauce. We both enjoyed our meal totally although there was a slight mishap over power outage that night that resulted in blackouts and delay of our meals.

Jerome was so kind and apologetic that he offered complimentary dessert and discount off the meal. He was so sweet to even give me a beautiful bracelet designed by his wife who owns a shop opposite his restaurant before we left.

We definitely had a wonderful dining experience at La Cusine and will recommend to anyone who is looking for a different experience, buzzing away from the rowdy backpackers budget restaurants and the pretentious,
upscale fine dining places with lousy food in KSM.

Dear Oh_Papillon

Thank you very much for your very kind review, and apology one more time for all the electrical problems we had on this evening in Baan Taling Ngam, but this is Thailand.

I hope to see you again soon for a quiet dinner without electric cut.

Singapore, Singapore
“Even better than the first time”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My parents and I stumbled upon this little gem of a restaurant las year while exploring the quiet part of Samui on our bicycle. Back for a short week-end from Singapore with a friend I told him we had to go to La Cuisine, not only for the excellent french food but also for the charm of the place and for Jerome the host and chef who will sit down with you and ensure you have a memorable time. Food was even better than las time. The foie gras is one of the best I ever had and I can tell you I have tried many. As a main course we both had the beef filet with truffle and mushroom sauce which was really beautiful too and perfectly cooked.
I would really recommend this restaurant to anyone willing to have a unique experience and feel the charm of the old Samui in a unique setting with a great french cuisine prepared wonderful host.

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for came back to La Cuisine one more time and appreciate your dinner.

We hope to see you again back with your lovely parents.