“Worth the trip!”

TopCats Fresh Water Fishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: TopCats is a 6 acre fishing lake with accommodation in lakeside bungalows, also house boats. Fishing strictly catch and release after a trophy photo. We have 30 species from 5KG - 150KG for you to target. All tackle provided and help from a fishing guide. Day tickets from 8.00 - 2.00 or 2.00 - 8.00 please call or email for booking as limited numbers fishing. We have swimming pool and large bar/restaurant for all your needs.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have read quite a few reviews of Top Cats, and agree with a lot of them and disagree with a lot of them. Shaun (the owner) is not a smiley guy, but who cares? The staff runs the place and they are first rate. My wife an I went for the 8 AM to 2 PM session. My wife did not fish, but still enjoyed herself. The setting is very tranquil, with lots of palm trees and mountain views. Back to the staff....the guides are very attentive and friendly, and speak English fairly well. They work hard to ensure you will get something on the end of your line. Their treatment of the fish once caught is exceptional. Your catch is not actually out of the water for more than about 10 seconds, which lessens the shock to the fish. They even go so far as to put iodine in the fish's mouth where the hook has set. While the restaurant menu is not extensive (nor should it be) the lunch we had was very good, and reasonably priced.The facilkities were very clean and looked after. We stay near Chaweng, so this is a bit out of the way for us, but it was worth it! I would highly recommend TOp Cats to anyone staying on Koh Samui.

All reviews
"see you soon"
"bacon sandwich"
"pineapple"

Reviewed February 20, 2014

It's such a shame that this is the only fishing resort in Koh Samui. I am a keen Carp angler so booked in to TopCats for a 2-8pm session. My wife joined me as the website falsely states that it is a luxury resort.

We had asked Shaun for directions a few days prior, which we never received and resulted in us getting lost and arriving 1.5 hours late. We certainly were not greeted with a smile. Shaun needs to work on his customer service skills.

There was certainly no luxury and my wife was disappointed to see that the sun beds and pool water looked dirtier than the lake!

Twice the guy next to me caught a fish but as the swims are so close together, the first time i had to bring both my rods in and the second time, one rod was rendered useless as he stood within a meter of my bait in the margin to have his pictures taken. I asked the guide if they could move away from my hook bait for the pics but he didn't understand.

It would be helpful if the staff were taught basic english fishing vocabulary to help both them and us with communication. A perfect example of this is The Lodge in Hua Hin.

As you're reading this, you may be thinking that I'm sour because I didn't catch. This is not the case. I caught 45lb Mekong, a 80lb Arapaima, and my dream fish a 40lb Siamese Carp (all estimates). But unfortunately these were over shadowed by the extreme lack of customer care. If only their customer care was as good as their fish care.

As I'm sure you know, fishing is not just about catching, its about the whole experience.

It was no surprise that we didn't get a response from Shaun when saying goodbye.

It later transpired that to top it off Shaun had overcharged us 500baht!

7  Thank AngelCake11
toprodLondon, Owner at TopCats Fresh Water Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thanks for your feedback.
Our resort does not claim to be a 5 star resort.
Our pool is clean and tidy. (Only ever dirty when cleaning)
Where else in the world would you catch 3 fantastic fish Giant Siamese Carp ,Aripaima, Mekong Catfish on a 1/2 day ticket 6 hours ? You were late for your fishing that is your responsibility .
If the bill was incorrect why did you not bring this up at the time ?
We are a fishing resort and people enjoy this as other reviews state catch a 100 Lbs carp in the UK Don,t think so keep you comments to yourself.

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Thanks Sean quality weeks fishing.
Great bungalow very clean. Superb food. Plenty of beer and the best fishing I've ever done.
Me dad agrees with everything I've said too. See you at the carp show to book up again. Keep November free for 2.

1  Thank 1carp
Reviewed February 4, 2014

WOW WHAT A GREAT DAY FISHING!!!

We stood around on arrival for about 15 minutes before someone walked out and it was the English owner walked out didn't greet us he just called out for one of the ladies to greet us.

We arrived about 2pm I booked the 6 hour package. Within 10 minutes I had caught a carp and I thought I was in for a busy day, but it wasn't to be. I caught another 4 fish in the next 4 hours but then in the last hour the guide let me in on a trick or throwing out the dough then casting next to it and the fish will hit your line within 30 seconds.. In the last 45 minutes of fishing I caught 3 fish!! During the day I caught Siamese carp, Red tail and mekong and species of Piranha.

I didn't have my own personal guide like advertised he was helping myself and 2 other groups of tourists which I thought was pretty slack considering they do charge you top rate!!! I tipped my guide directly as he was the only one who helped me during the day.

Food and beers are quiet expensive but its the only option you have if your hungry and thirsty. I had to go to the bar twice to order beers as I never saw the ladies

Will be back!!

2  Thank aza613
See more reviews
Reviewed January 16, 2014

So My Wife and I went for a day of fishing here. It is nothing like fishing in Canada. We watched the guides bait our rods, cast then try to hook any bites. There was no instruction or tips at all. The staff seemed friendly and helpful but Im going off of their body language alone as I didn't come across anybody that spoke english (except for Shaun but he seems pretty miserable). After a couple hrs of tanning and watching the guides fish I started to just do my own thing with the rods. It turns out fishing here is pretty easy. Cast to the far side with Bait balls (had no luck with the fish pieces) wait 30 seconds. If you don't get any strikes real in a few feet and wait. If you do get a strike and don't set the hook chances are your bait is gone. Food is average but you cant bring anything in. All food and drinks must be purchased on site. Nice washrooms. Prices were pretty high considering Bangkok has some great ponds (check out Bankokhookers.com) that are more enjoyable and cost less then 1000baht for two people to fish all day.

1  Thank 2922unwin