“Awesome fishing on the island of Koh Samui”

TopCats Fresh Water Fishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: TopCats is a 6 acre fishing lake with accommodation in lakeside bungalows, also house boats. Fishing strictly catch and release after a trophy photo. We have 30 species from 5KG - 150KG for you to target. All tackle provided and help from a fishing guide. Day tickets from 8.00 - 2.00 or 2.00 - 8.00 please call or email for booking as limited numbers fishing. We have swimming pool and large bar/restaurant for all your needs.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I'd done a bit of research on fishing in Koh Samui as we were going there for a 40th. Found that the inshore reefs were almost fished out. Top Cats had plenty of good reviews however, and for good reason!

We had a fairly large group, about 12 of us for a half day in the afternoon. The first fish was mine, a 120lb arapaima. Was unreal since it was a fish I've always wanted to land. Not everyone was an avid fisher, but after that catch they were all buzzing with excitement.

In numerous other strikes, every person managed to land one. Whether it was a Mekong catfish, carp, alligator gar or pacu. Great range of fish species in this lake. Guides were great as well, they let you do as much or as little as you want. You could bait, cast and set, or leave it all to them. They all had great humour and were constantly joking and laughing with us.

One of the guys remarked 'This is my kind of fishing', as there was an alarm for each rod, you didn't need to do anything until you have a fish on, and the girls from the bar/kitchen come down to the huts and take your order for drinks and food. We actually had some burgers from the kitchen, which were awesome and described as 'Off the hook'.

We went back for a second day since we loved it so much. The next time we are in Koh Samui, we plan on staying here for a while and get some serious fishing time in. Don't be put off by the cost at 3000 baht per person, it's well worth it. It's a great spot, quite well appointed and well set up, thanks for a fantastic time Shaun!

Regards, Terry

1  Thank Terrykimd

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Visited for a day At the start of October, 2 of us fished and around 15 catches between us with a Siamese Carp of around 80lbs and a large amazon redtail the pick of the bunch.

Easy to book, transport all arranged through the resort, very good and reasonably priced food, guides excellent and Shaun made sure that everything ran to plan. The fish are in perfect condition and are clearly very well looked after, plus many different species to go for. What's not to like?

So, if you like fishing, give this a go - you certainly won't be disappointed.

Complaints? Wish I could have stayed longer....

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Yesterday I went to top cats to hopefully catch a big fish .i have had many holidays in the past and spent a lot of money to hopefully catch a biggie . Well what can I say I caught 11 fish over 40 pound the biggest a Mekong catfish about 120 pound nicknamed Tyson now I know why also caught giant Siamese catfish to 70 pound .being a match angler my previous biggest fish was 22 pound .for anyone coming to Thailand and fancies catching a fish of a lifetime then I would visit . With helpfully guidance of yut the guide you will not go wrong .i would rate this experience as the best ever in my holiday excursions can't thank them enough great team great fisherie.

1  Thank Steve E
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was the second fishing venue we visited and as I mentioned in my review for Hua Hin fishing lodge the husband is the angler so please read below for an anglers insight however i need to mention I caught a huge carp!!!

This fishery is an English equivalent to a large commercial type fishery 'L' shaped with room for about 20 anglers.

We fished on the 6 hour package approx. £75 each with food/drinks & boilies (for the carp) extra on two days during our weeks stay in Koh Samui.

Large fish where caught the highlights included an 80lb Mekong Catfish and an 80lb Siamese Carp caught by the wife (. . . well done) others caught included four 60lb Mekong Catfish all arm wrenching fish and number of other Siamese Carp of various sizes. No Arapaima where caught, we hooked and lost a couple . . . maybe next time.

The fish where very well looked after and never taken out of the water, disinfected where the hook was and quickly photographed and safely released.

The guides where excellent and a little tip listen to what they say you will catch more fish. Food was good and drinks readily available.

3  Thank JanetteD
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Spent a week in Koh Samui with my fiancee in early June and came across "Top Cats" while searching for things to do on the island.

The pics on the website (and reviews on Trip Advisor) looked awesome so I booked myself on a half day fishing excursion (8am - 2pm) and had an absolute blast!

We were staying at the nearby InterContinental (who didn't even mention the place to us!) and the owner was kind enough to pick us up and drop us off for a small charge (the costs of taxis in Koh Samui are extortionate so this gesture was greatly appreciated).

My fiancee relaxed in the sun while I fished and that was completely fine. The amenities and food were great (keep in mind this is a "upscale" fishing camp, not a 5 star luxury resort), the beer was ice cold (it was 35 degrees out), and overall I thought the pricing was very fair.

Ended up catching some big Red Tailed Catfish, Mekong Catfish and Carp. Had lots of laughs, some great pictures and a nice little sun tan. Arms and back were pretty sore by the end of the day - the fish are big!!!

Definitely worth a visit if you're in Koh Samui!

3  Thank maple_leaf_expats