Samahita Retreat
$256
$95
$722
Trip.com
Easy Time Resort(Taling Ngam)(Great Value!)
$36
$35
Centra by Centara Coconut Beach Resort Samui(Taling Ngam)(Great Value!)
$40
$36
Agoda.com
The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam(Taling Ngam)(Great Value!)
$100
Sea Valley Hotel and Spa(Lipa Noi)(Great Value!)
$77
Hotels.com
All reviewsyoga practicewellness centreteacher trainingdetox programno alcoholdaily lifede stresslife changinginfrared saunahealthy foodsteam roomamazing yogakoh samuilose weightwellness treatmentspeanut butterexcellent teachers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 8, 2013

It's nothing like the Grand Hyatt or W Hotel, but if you're looking for a place that offers daily yoga classes and a great beach in a simple, no frills format ... then this place is for you! The healthy fare served was absolutely delicious: there's a 'raw' section for those detoxing and lots of choices for vegetarians. Seafood was served in fresh abundance, oft in creative ways. Guests ran the gamut from retirees to young familes and even younger couples. I was there for a yoga retreat; plan to go back for a less structured holiday.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear VivLeeAbdullah, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Looking forward to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat in the near future. Best wishes!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Coming to Samahita Retreat I had pretty high expectations that the week I was spending there with my friend was going to be amazing. The truth was it was great until the last few days when several things happened that changed my opinion.
First the good stuff - our teacher was fantastic, so lovely, made effort to assist all students within the class and I feel my yoga practice in future will benefit greatly. The rooms were spacious, clean, bright and had positive energy, allowing us to be settled as soon as we got there. The vegetarian food served was pretty good, with multiple options for brunch and dinner that changed every day. Seafood potions were also available at times.

Unfortunately a few things occurred over the last few days which made me leave Samahita very frustrated. During the "7 day yoga retreat" we only actually practiced on 5. The last morning only included breathing exercises which I was disappointed about because the retreat was not supposed to finish supposedly until 12noon. Waste of time on the last morning really as there was ample time for us to practice as I thought we would.

Make sure you bring your own yoga mat from home and DO NOT purchase one from their shop. My mat had had it so I rushed to purchase a new one before the first morning class, not thinking to check the prices (they had no mats available to borrow!). When it came time to settle my purchases I soon discovered that the mat cost a whopping $100 AUSTRALIAN or over 3000 Thai Baht. Absolutely ridiculous! Not only that but the mat had a slippery residue on it so I had to purchase a sheet to go over the top which cost $45!

Laundry was also extremely overpriced... 3-4kg cost close to $20 AUD. I desperately needed to get it done as I was travelling for over a month, but when I got it back some of my clothing was not even washed properly! The retreat states to offer a competitive price, however 5 minute drive down the road was less than a 1/4 of the price.

The day before check out we organised for a 'taxi' to take us to Chewang beach on the following day. The taxi we thought ended up being the Samahita retreat van which they then tried to charge us 500+ Baht each for (3 people total of 1500 Baht) when we only payed 700 total between us to get there on the first day using a normal taxi service!! When I complained about the cost, and asked for money back to book our own privately (as they wouldn't call from reception) they refused. By the time they organised transport for us and finally came we had been waiting for an hour... I was frustrated and angry to say the least!! Lack of service meant our plans initially made had to change significantly, even though we had booked with 24+ hour notice.....

Other minor things: food is only served between 9.30am-1pm and 6pm-8pm.
Stray dogs appeared on the last few days, a pack were running through the group when we were doing an afternoon session on the beach. Most were either scared or uncomfortable with potentially being attacked.

Overall - really expensive, next time I think I'll stay in a nice resort and make sure I'm close to a studio. I probably would have gotten the same out of it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank dimz87
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear dimz87, Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we welcome all feedback good and bad. Your kind comments about our teacher, food, spacious rooms with positive energy are much appreciated. It is unfortunate that you feel that our yoga mats are over priced, our yoga mats are Manduka (http://www.manduka.com) , are professional yoga mats and because ot this will last you a life time. We charge the same retail price world wide. we sell professional grade yoga products. Laundry, we do our own in house laundry, this is being done extremely professional and we use eco friendly detergents. We do not charge per piece as standard hotel practices but we charge per kg. Local business washing out of outdoor shacks charges local prices and provide a totally different quality. Your comment about transportation, we have our own vehicles available for guest, prices are set and are very competitive if compared with local taxi fares and other transportation firms. Our reception team will inform you in advance of the costs if you wish to use this service. our vehicles are clean and safe and our drivers are experienced, they will do their utmost to bring you safely to your destination. At Koh Samui, taxi service is not metered or regulated. everyone sets their own price. There is an enormous stray dog problem on Koh Samui, at no time do we allow dogs or cats in our Retreat, we help the Koh Samui cat and dog rescue with donations and in other ways. We cannot prevent dogs or cats from walking our the beach, all beaches in Thailand are public beaches.
We do apologize for any inconvenience caused. Best wishes!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My girl friend, who is an excellent yogo teacher recommended Samahita for the both of us to go and stay for a week of sun, great food and yoga. She had not been, but she knew the guest yoga teacher, a man originally from London by the name of Simon Low who would be teaching the week of our stay. The classes were from 7:30am to 10am and then another from 4:30 to 6:30. Because of the amount of yogo involved, Simon went easy on the class, which was great for a new person like me, and he picked it up with each day of our stay. For myself, who is someone who had not yet seriously committed to yoga, both Simon and Samahita was the perfect combination. There are dozens if not hundreds of spas on Koh Samui, but Samahita specializes in yoga and delivers on it very well. Samahita only has enough room for about 35 guests and because it is reasonably priced, (the buffet is included if you don't order from the menu) it is typically very busy. You have your meals with people all over the world, which makes it interesting. They also have yoga teachers on staff if you don't sign up for the guest teacher program, a juice bar, gift shop, a wellness center for massages etc, and the staff is very nice. It was a perfect week of yoga introduction, healthy food and great sun because it is right on the beach, right next to their pool. There are other more expensive hotel/spa type places, which we went and looked at, ate some meals etc, but for yoga on the island, this is the place!!!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are smaller and adequate if you go by yourself, if traveling with someone else, if you you book ahead early enough, they have two deluxe rooms for a little more cost, but you have a living room/kitchette with refrigerator and a bedroom.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KD2122

Dear KD2122, We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our Retreat. Thank you for your kind comments about our guest teacher Simon Low, yoga, food and our staff. We do look forward to welcome you back at Samahita Retreat in the future. Best wishes!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Samahita. She's a yoga teacher and I do yoga occasionally. We didn't do the retreat, but took part in the residential yoga on offer (twice a day).

Our room was fantastic - huge, clean, bright and well equipped. We weren't lacking a thing. We were in a Single Superior Room and I can't imagine really needing any more space at all. We had a lovely garden out front, and were a very short walk (1 minute) from the resort.

The whole resort was clean and very open, and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The beach alongside it was virtually private - something I didn't expect to find on Koh Samui! The smaller yoga shala is right next to the beach, providing some beautiful views for yoga, and the beach is a great length for a run, if yoga isn't always your thing.

The food was excellent. I was a bit wary of the idea of raw and all the healthy stuff (big meat eater) but it was really outstanding. Superb buffets which go on for hours so you can easily have breakfast and lunch from the brunch buffet. We was very impressed with the range of food and just how tasty it all was!

Overall we were very, very happy with our stay here. There was one problem I felt with it, which was that it could have been anywhere in the world. I really forgot I was in Thailand while I was there. Maybe that's not a problem for most - it wasn't for my wife - but I somehow felt that Thailand was missing. I'm not sure how this could be changed or really why, but I thought it was a shame. However, I think that our 3 day stay isn't enough to fully judge the retreat on, and I should think that if you go for a full-on yoga retreat and give yourself time to get out and explore the island as well, your view would be different. We definitely would recommend it to anyone who was considering it. It's beautiful, peaceful, friendly and calm.

My wife is going to write a more detailed review of the yoga on her blog, omshanti.dk, if you'd like to know more about it. Not sure when, but it'll come up soon :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lara M

Dear Lara M, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our Retreat. Your kind comments about our Retreat, staff, rooms and food are much appreciated. We serve a mix of International and Thai food (vegetarian) on our Brunch and Dinner buffets. We will most certainly look into your comment to provide our guests with a wider selection of Thai food. We look forward to welcome you back at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes from us all.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I loved my stay at Samahita. The setting is beautiful, the rooms are nice, large and clean and I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The food was very good, I have not had the same meal twice and I was there for 2 weeks. The yoga teachers are very knowledgeable, I found them to be very inspiring and I have learned so much that I am still incorporating in my own practice. I found the location to be perfect, nice and quiet. If you do want to go out either during the day or in the evening, you can get a moterbike for a few bath a day, just down the road.

I can't wait to go back to Samahita!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear Traveldebs, Many thanks for taking the time to write your review, we really appreciate this. We are really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, was happy with our rooms, friendly staff and that our yoga teachers inspired you! We look forward to welcome you back at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes from us all!