I have a mixed feeling to be honest with regards to this establishment - hence the love/hate and the hit/miss title of this review.
My 3 Days and 2 Nights Stay at the hotel coincided with the infamous Blackout of Koh Samui in December 2012. Hence it did impact my overall experience with the hotel. In the end, only stayed here for one night with the other night at thier sister hotel so that guests could be looked after properly there.
Booked a junior suite room with jacuzzi at 3430THB (for a total of 2 nights stay) through one of the hotel booking website and also a transfer from a hotel that I am staying in Chaweng Beach (I thought it would be safe to book a ride as I have read several comments in here on the need for a four-wheel drive / jeep to get you there).
1. The view. Thats the main reason to be staying here i.e. for the view. Its the redeeming factor for all the shortfall of the hotel. My advice would be to try to grab a bottle or two of wine to bring to the hotel to enjoy while sitting in the balconynof your room.
2. Since there were only a few people staying in the hotel, the place can be very quiet for those who wanted some peace and quiet. There won't be much to do apart from sit back and relax.
3. Love the decor and ambience the hotel provided but it was spoiled by the fact that it was not well-kept.
1. Check-in was very bad. There was no one at the reception as the manager cum hotel-runner was not in. The other staff are not aware as they are basically just helping with random tasks at hand. They first gave me a smaller room without the jacuzzi to which I refused to accept as I told them that I had paid for a room with jacuzzi. The staff then called up the manager (the famous Kay) to whom I could communicate in English properly and they then gave me the correct room.
2. Faculty Jacuzzi - I paid a premium to have a jacuzzi room and only to find it not working. Much complaint raised and nothing could be done and was promised that someone would have a look at it the next day. Request to change room was not available as the other room was already occupied.
3. Meals - Kay who run the hotel is also the one doing the cooking which is a hit and miss kinda affair. So don't expect great food. I would rate it as an alright meal. Breakfast was slightly better.
4. Hotel - the grounds can be seen to not have been kept properly clean and it shows. I would have love to have stayed in the hotel when it was first open to the public - when everything was still clean and new. The swimming pool as mentioned on previous comments does look dirty. There were leaves on the pool and no one bothered to removed it. An unfortunate thing as the pool would be great for an afternoon dip with drinks.
5. Back up generator. As mentioned earlier, the second day coincide with the black out that happened to the whole island of Koh Samui. Being a hotel in a remote location, one would think that the hotel would invest in a generator to ensure things run smoothly should there be any power cut. There wasn't any and hence, I had to be re-located at their sister hotel on the ground so that we could be taken care of properly.
So, all in all, it really is a hit and miss / love and hate kinda affair for me.
Question is on whether I would stay here again? The answer would be a no. Having said that, would take a ride to spend a day here to just chill and enjoy the view - and hopefully the pool would be clean too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Asia spirit Lodge rises out of the top of the mountains near Baan Talingngam at the South-West of the island. At 200 meters of altitude it is now the very top hotel on koh samui. From the hill side you have a sweeping sea view from the national marine park, koh tan, koh matsum, koh som, and the five- island to the mainland.It is a breathtaking view of the gulf archipelago surely the best of the island. The location of The Spirit Lodge has been carefully chosen for its magical access to sea breezes, fresh air, organic garden space, and a sense of well being with the earth. Lift your body, mind and spirit to a higher level of awareness and experience at the new Asia Spirit Lodge & Spa. High on the mountainside of Koh Samui, overlooking the southern expanse of sea and islands, you will relax in your bungalow under a thatch roof complete with state-of –the-art high tech and luxurious amenities in a completely natural, ecological environment.Drawing inspiration from Thailand, Morocco and Bali, Asia Spirit Lodge offers sanctuary within an eclectic blend of color, texture, ancient healing wisdom, and ecological environment providing a tantalizing blend of sources for wellness and pleasure. Both communal and private space is there among the tropical gardens and walking paths and of course the seaside below for activities of your choice. Are you ready for this experience? The most adequate criterion to define our offer is small distinctive boutique hotel. Our customers seek calm, natural surroundings, serenity and wellness. Our products are summarized as:- A meticulous choice of location offers extreme privacy, view and serenity;- Structures small to medium size evoke a high level of wellbeing;- Sumptuous decor and facility inspired by and always respecting the surrounding environment and local culture. Asia Spirit Lodge is located at peak on the island of Koh Samui. The access road to the lodge across the jungle is a dust road and very steep. It is not difficult but an off-road vehicle 4wd is required. Of course, we have shuttle transportation to the valley ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Asia Spirit Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Asia Spirit Lodge And Spa
- Asia Spirit Hotel Taling Ngam
- Asia Spirit Lodge & Spa Ko Samui/Taling Ngam