“First visit”

Ranked #1 of 1 Largo B&B and Inns
leeds
“First visit”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Visiting friends and called in here on our way back to denhead,st.andrews,the food(price crunch menu) and service was first class.can recommend it. The price of drinks was quite cheap compared to other pub/restaurants I have been in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My brother in law, nephew and I booked a table here after not visiting for few years as we had heard good things about the food.
Table was booked for 5:00pm on Sunday 4th Aug, and we strolled up from Lower Largo on a beautiful afternoon.
The car park was busy and the restaurant aprx' half full.
We were shown to our table and given menus, all three of them! Al a carte, Sunday roast special, and the Chefs Weekend Special. Drinks were ordered and we looked over the menus.
The Sunday Roast was fantastic value at only £10:95 and looking around the rest of the rest of the tables was obviously proving popular with holiday folks & locals alike.
This is where we went wrong!
We ordered from a mix if the menus and the food took 45 minutes to arrive!
My prawns in garlic and a herb sauce on rice was mediocre at best. The small prawns, all 5 of them, were ok but the rice was totally bland and I had to add salt, which I almost never do, to give it any sort of taste. If the sauce the prawns were cooked in had been poured into the dish it would have probably been fine. I then had pork belly with Stornaway black pudding and a duck egg. As there were no accompaniments we ordered fat chips & onion rings for sides, but when the food eventually arrived, a large dish of assorted veg appeared. Enough to feed a small army.
The black pudding & duck egg were fabulous, but the pork belly was cut thin, and as a result was tough and chewy at best. The accompanying sauce was in a small pouring pot but was too hot to pick up, and with a film over the sauce had probably been under a hot lamp for far too long?
My brother in law ordered lamb shank, was given lamb cutlets, but as they appeared ok accepted them as we had waited so long and said they were fine.
My nephew was impressed with the steak pie.
The waitresses were young and obviously very inexperienced but I must add very pleasant and tried to be helpful.
Didn't know what bottled or draught beers they had. Turned out two of each. But did know they served Pepsi as opposed to Coke.
I would suggest they should cut out at least one of the 3 menus, or even, on a Sunday, stick with the Sunday Roast, as it was obvious we threw the kitchen into disarray deviating from this.
We would go back, being prepared for a lengthy wait, and would probably stick to the Sunday Roast, if going on a Sunday?
Great value for families.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MRW1956
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I feel it is only fair to The Buffalo Farms customers and our genuine trade customers to let you know the details of what happened visited Upper Largo Hotel yesterday evening. I received a phone call advising me that the Upper Largo Hotel was falsely advertising Puddledub Buffalo Burgers on their menu.

I can only speak for the burger that I was served which was categorically not a burger that we produce despite specifically ordering this and being told that it was farmed in Auchtertool. I also ordered an Aberdeen Angus Burger which appeared to be identical to the ‘Buffalo Burger’ that I was served. This sequence of events backed up exactly what I had been told would happen. I obviously questioned the Manager and the Proprietor and was told that this was a one off mistake and that they were in the process of changing their menu.

Following yesterday’s events we have had further communication from the Proprietor and they have provided various other explanations as they attempted to explain how they have continued to have our product on the menu despite not ordering from us for some considerable time, including advising me that they purchased burgers from a shop that doesn’t even stock our burgers. Being sceptical I find it difficult to understand why they would claim to purchase our burgers at full retail price when they had ordered from us previously and at that time negotiated very hard for a trade discount.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
9 Thank TheBuffaloFarm
Ayr, Scotland
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ate on our last evening of a short break to the East Neuk of Fife and wished we had gone there every evening. The food was superb and at an unbelievably modest price. Service was also good. Venue was a lounge extended by a large conservatory. We were in the conservatory part which was the nicer area. It was obviously very popular among locals and we suspected that it was a regular eating place for many, and why should they go anywhere else when such good value can be found on their doorstep, lucky people!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Four of us went for a meal here on 14-07-2013. I have to say the meal was exquisite. The menu has an excellent choice of fresh locally sourced products. They serve Stornaway black pudding too which if you have never tried I heartily recommend I had the King Scallops with black pudding which was mouth watering from the first bite to last. We also had fresh battered and breaded fish and a pork belly dish all of which were fantastic. portion size was generous and not over priced bar surroundings are homely and the staff attentive and friendly if you get the chance trveling up the east coast definitely pop in for a meal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family eat at this restaurant at least once every couple of weeks. We love the value for money we get and the relaxed atmosphere. The food is always amazing. We would highly recommend to locals or tourists alike.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lundin Links, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I are regular customers of The Upper Largo Hotel. In our many visits there, we have only ever found the service to be first class, the staff are welcoming and friendly as well as efficient and immaculate. The food is of a very high standard - especially considering the extremely low price. There is a sufficient "Price Crunch" menu to satisfy mostly anyone - but if you desire an alternative, there are many more mouth watering choices available. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Largo
Old Manor Hotel
Lomond Hills Hotel
#1 of 1 in Freuchie
Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel

Been to Upper Largo Hotel? Share your experiences!