“Value Food”
Review of Upper Largo Hotel

Upper Largo Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Excellent value for money in the restaurant at lunchtime. We went md-week so it was not too busy and we got served right away. The choice of food was good and the Pate was excellent. Main courses were also good value but nothing exciting. The waitresses were very friendly and efficient until they suddenly disappeared at about 2.00pm leaving only one young man to serve everyone. At less than £9 for three courses, they set a good example to some of the pretentious restaurants in this part of the country where lunch can cost over £25! Our only criticism was the lack of welcome on arrival, when we and most other guests had to enter the restaurant and be ignored for rather longer than is polite.

Room Tip: Only visited restaurant.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Any reviewer of dining at this hotel needs to start from the premise that a 3-course lunch costs less than £10.00 with drinks extra. So, don't expect fine dining, expect solid cooking that is tasty and cheap. Unless the kitchen staff are having an off day I can't see how anyone could complain about value for money. Service was friendly and attentive. One reviewer complained that old fashioned white table clothes set the scene.Fine by me as long as they are clean - which they were. Good value for money for sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The food here was excellent. The four of us opted for the 3 course meal which was a good price. the steaks, soup,prawns haggis starter were all lovely as was the puddings hot chocolate fudge cake & strawberry & merangue mess. We would definelty go back

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

I have been to this hotel regularly as I have family in Fife.

I have felt that when dining with children. Families are stuffed in a corner out of sight. Food is lovely but i have felt very let down as staff are quite pretentious and seem to fawn over Patrons who exude money.

Meals are nice quality but as mentioned, portion sizes are on the small side. The manager is a bit snobby. I feel he is more interested in those diners more well heeled.

Would i return, if i had a choice , no, but my elderly mum likes it so i have to go.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Booked on strength of previous reviews but was very disappointed. Old fashioned white table cloths set the scene, it was like going back 50yrs. Very popular with senior locals.

Everything that was fried was dark and greasy. Starters were very small greasy deep fried tasteless vegetable samosa's served with chopped up side salad covered in dressing, ugly hunk of deep fried battered haggis sitting in dish of thick whisky and onion gravy, no presentation at all. Greasy dark batter on fish main course and as said in last review frozen reheated hard chips. Very small portions of soggy pastry lemon tart served on huge plate.

I suspect the 3 course menu for £8.95 is probably the only thing that brings in the locals.

Such a shame. Nice old building but could be so much improved with a little updating without losing its character. Atmosphere and food need updating. Ditch the table cloths.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My Mum and Dad booked a meal for 12 family to celebrate their Golden Wedding for 26/8/12 . They went before to try it out and were impressed. The booking was for 2pm. Most of us were quite early and stayed outside until 1.55pm. The last 4 came in just before 2pm, so we were all seated for 2pm. We got menus quickly, but it took a while to get our orders taken and it was 2.50pm before starters arrived. My 88 yr old Gran got lentil soup, which was inedible. My brother in law was refused the pate, because it was on a separate menu, until my son managed to sweet talk the young waitress. My partner and I had prawns, which could have done with being in the pan a bit longer, and I regret eating them due to the dodgy stomach I have today. The pate was with oatcakes and orange segments, the single piece of orange was a very small mandarin segment.

I can't remember when we got out main course but it was a long wait, those who didnt have starters were starving. The venison was very rare without being asked, fortunately he liked it that way. The fish was lovely but the chips were awful and were obviously frozen reheats, and full of little hard chips. The buffalo burger with haggis was pretty much cremated, so therefore dry and inedible. We had to ask for tartar sauce and the waitress came and gave us some each out of a big bowl and then was taking it away before I asked her to bring us more and leave the dish.

We watched others getting pudding and we laughed at the size of the piece of lemon tart, for £5.75 it was ridiculously small. Then someone else got a piece and it was even smaller, honestly a 2 year old would have been looking for seconds. At least we knew what not to order. Most of the puddings were adequate, some were a bit small. The kids menu promised ice cream with marsh mallows and we had to ask for them and they were brought out in a tea cup. The drinks orders were very slow, some did not get asked if they wanted a second drink.

A big problem was the 2 guys behind us who were stinking of body odour, not exactly conducive to fine dining.

My father paid the bill and did not complain as he did not want to spoil the meal any further. My mum called the hotel today and spoke to the boss. He blamed it on the fact that some of our party was 20 minutes late. Which is why I emphasised the point of time at the beginning of this review. Total rubbish. My Mum explained that their Golden Wedding Celebration had been totally spoiled because of everthing that had happened. His answer was that when they came the next time the hotel would do better. They were assured that there would not be a next time.
The restaurant was not even particularly busy, there was really no excuse, other people did complain about the service.

I would say avoid this like the plague.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LESLEY M
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Had dinner here on a Sunday night -very busy! Very large menu with something for everyone. So difficult to choose as everything sounded like just what I fancied. One stomach however makes you have to choose.
Excellent service and food. A very lively, comfortable and friendly place to eat. Highly recommended!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Largo
Old Manor Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lundin Links
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
Caledonian Hotel
Caledonian Hotel
#3 of 4 in Leven

Been to Upper Largo Hotel? Share your experiences!