“Tapas terrace a holiday in an evening. Go!”

The Market Place Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Cromford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Family run restaurant, over 30 years in business, good food,well priced, awarded 5 stars again by environmental health
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Nine dined outside on a warm heat wave evening. Sangria great. On a recommendation and with the help of a very accommodating owner we shared from the Tapas Special menu.
The food we chose arrived at regular intervals and the service was friendly and well done.
I was driving so no alcohol for me but a clear head meant I enjoyed the superb food until I was totally full!
Evertone agreed the evening was perfect.
Best part was the price. The total bill split 9 ways with tips was £15 each. I blame the sangria drinkers!
Seriously. .two can dine for an even more modest price..check out the website.
My tip? Go and enjoy an evening there and feel that you are away on holiday ..without the hassle of airports!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

The meal was booked as part of a quiet hen night celebration for four long-standing friends.

We arrived at least 30 minutes early for our meal so ordered drinks on the terrace. A jug of Sangria arrived without any glasses and we had to get our own!?! Fifteen minutes after our scheduled dining time, we went in search of our our table with no assistance from the restaurant whatsoever. We initially sat outside but as the temperature dropped went inside and found our reserved table by accident.

At 8:15pm we found our table - at 8:50pm we walked out in disgust after receiving no service at all. We weren't even asked if we were OK for drinks not alone food. We initially complained and the only form of apology we received was that ' they were busy'. Infact by this time most of the tables had been vacated.

The absence of service and customer care was absolutely appalling and the waiting staff appeared not only to be young but also very inexperienced. However, it was the 'manager(!?!)' who told us that they were busy. So busy that we had been neglected for 50 mins.

We were offered no gesture of goodwill with regards to the drinks bill which we paid in full before leaving without eating.

We will not return to this restaurant again, nor will we ever recommend it.

12  Thank John W
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Booked in for an anniversary meal , cosy little place that had pleanty of people in (a good sign I think) friendly staff , other peoples meals looked great , worth the wait because the starters and main course were some of the tastiest food I've had. Coffees and sweet also very nice . Very good value , £65 for three courses and wine , though they do have special deals as well . If your out this way I recommend you eat here .

2  Thank grimmergardens
Reviewed July 11, 2014

My family & I ate at this restaurant on 7/7/14 as the other chap, I must say I totally disagree in what he is saying, we also had the £13.95 THREE COURSE meal including wine and from start to finish everything was great, staff, hot good food, service everything. All I will say is we will be back soon & spreading the word. Here's to many more years

3  Thank 940Emma_c
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

In this review I refer to the tapas bar , the entrance to which is found by the market place restaurant itself.

More of a bistro than a bar/restaurant this Spanish themed eatery does exactly what it says on the tin - provides tapas and sangria.

The prices are reasonable (just) and the food is a good replica of the real thing (having lived in Spain for some time). Some of the dishes however I did wonder about the spiced sausage, which would normally be chorizo based, but unfortunately wasn't.

The food is of course small in portions but the place offers 6 tapas for around £16. I have to say though that they were more tapitas than tapas, which means that you get a very small portion.

The service is a little slow, and the order did get a little messed up, with us having to wait about 20 mins extra between eating for two of the dishes.

Deserts are offers "tapas style" - simply meaning in small portions, but this wasn't reflected in the price. This part we found dissapointing.

All in all, a nice little find, but over order if you are hungry.

Ps... The parking situation in Cromford is horrific, so arrive early in order to secure a spot.

3  Thank Stefan R