“Nice relaxing village cafe”
Review of Biscuit Cafe

Biscuit Cafe
Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Culross
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The cafe that matches these reviews closed in December. Currently, Biscuit Cafe is a completely new venture. We have moved to The Cross, also in Culross, and are now called The Admiral.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

During our 3 month visit to the UK, 2 months of which were spent in beautiful Scotland, we decided spontaneously to visit Culross one fine day last November from Edinburgh. We were not disappointed. Culross was a peaceful town, few tourists and locals, for that matter, around. We were there primarily to visit the Abbey. After our visit we wanted a coffee and a light lunch and found the Biscuit Cafe and Gallery. We are so glad we did. We had coffee and parsnip and orange soup with bread, and cake afterwards. Simple food, appreciated. The waiter, a tall young man, was welcoming and smiling offering service in a discreet manner, peaceful like Culross itself. What more could people want when visiting such a place? This is a village cafe for goodness sake! (referring to previous comments on TA) Prices at the Biscuit Cafe, in our opinion, were very reasonable compared with big city prices. Thankyou Biscuit Cafe for a pleasant experience, one of many in Scotland, memories of which we've taken back to Sydney and mentioned to our friends!!

3  Thank CadigalSydneya1

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Arrived and settled at a table then asked to move as we were blocking the door, so why have a seat there if no one was to sit on it? Expensive for what we had given the surroundings! Also is it acceptable to only have 1 terry towel for everyone to dry their hands on. This was soaking wet when we were there. Had to ask for a receipt. Competition may be the answer. Would not go back infact it will be a long time before we bother to go back to Culross at all given this experience. S.R. SMILLIE

4  Thank stuartmoragsmillie
nialldc, Owner at Biscuit Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Hi there,

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your visit to the cafe. I sincerely apologise if we did not come up to your expectations. We are a very small cafe and our furniture tends to migrate during shifts. I can assure you we would only suggest a move if we thought that you were going to be bothered by customers coming and going or using the bathroom. As I have pointed out before, it is worth checking prices on the menu before you order rather than complaining online once you have already paid and left. We do keep an eye on the state of our bathroom, changing the towel when required but unfortunately we cannot check after every customer and when it's busy a quick heads up can be invaluable. Our till does naturally print off receipts however 99.9% of customers do not want one so unfortunately we do not automatically offer them. However, it seems you did get one when you asked.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We visited here recently, whilst visiting the village of Culross in Fife. After wandering around for a while, we felt it was time to have something to eat. Unfortunately, the only place available during our visit was the Biscuit Cafe - I really wish that I had looked at some of the reviews before going in (I have learned my lesson, believe me!!)

We arrived when the cafe wasn't busy. On first impressions, the Biscuit Cafe seems to be trying hard to be fresh, but is just chintzy (note the cups hanging from the windows, complete with a good layer of dust!!) There were literally only two tables with customers sitting at them, in the whole place. However, there seemed to be three members of staff who were bumbling about the place and seemed to not really know what others were doing, and a couple of empty tables had dirty plates and cups on them. So, we sat down and waited and waited and waited. We watched one member of staff stand talking to customers at one of the other tables for an age, without acknowledging our presence at all.

Whilst I understand that staff like to have a good rapport with their customers, surely standing for a good ten minutes chatting whilst other customers sat waiting for a menu is a bit off? Especially when the other two staff members seemed to notice we were there but didn't want to provide us with a menu either!

Eventually, after sitting in there for a good 15 minutes, we were given a menu. Having ordered our food, we thought that our visit to the Biscuit cafe might have improved. But we were wrong. Food and teas were served to us by a tall man who had the attitude of a surly teenager; he really loves his job!! No greeting, no 'is there anything else you'd like' etc. Just food placed bluntly on the table and off he went. Not sure if this is the guy in charge or not, but goodness me, he needs some serious training in how to work in the service industry.

We ordered the sourdough cheddar and chutney toasties (at a whopping £4.20 each) and I have to say that it was quite possibly the worst lunch we'd had. The sourdough bread was doughy, and really chewy and looked as though is hadn't been properly baked. The cheese and chutney on the 'bread' must have walked straight past it, as it had the least amount of filling ever! Also, giving a handful of rocket with a cherry tomato cut in half doesn't make the dish look or taste sophisticated. It just looked like a cheap attempt to justify the astronomical prices.

Browsing the menu, it seems as though the owners of the Biscuit cafe seem to want to place a lot of emphasis on the 'locally produced and sourced ingredients'. Whilst this is commendable, surely it only works if you are sourcing quality ingredients? I cannot say that the bread was anything less than substandard (having baked my own bread for years, I know that the bread we were served was not as it should have been) Plenty of other eateries seem to serve their own food, having the ingredients sourced locally, and they do it so well.

When you add together the really bad service, along with the bad food, and the prices that they seem to think they can charge for the 'experience' I recommend that you give the Biscuit cafe a body swerve and go elsewhere. Really, anywhere is better than this place.

I can only think that they are surviving in these tough economic times by relying upon one-off tourist/visitor trade, and from local people who have some sense of misplaced loyalty, judging from the other reviews on tripadvisor. Other reviews noted that the staff did seem surly and disorganised, and the owner has responded saying that they visited the cafe on an exceptionally busy day, therefore it is excusable. We didn't visit on a busy day, yet the service hadn't improved. I think it's time the Biscuit Cafe had a good hard think about their customer service skills, as well as the quality of their food. No business these days can survive if they continue to 'serve' customers the way that the Biscuit Cafe seems to.

Better can be had elsewhere.

5  Thank Emma J
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Lovely little cafe in historical village. Atmosphere of the cafe is warm and cosy and staff are friendly,helpful and welcoming. Prices are quite high but you get what you pay for and the quality is excellent. The Place is being expanded which will make it easier to get a table at busy times and reflects it's popularity.. Highly recommended for a coffee, etc. after a wander round the village.

2  Thank BruceCam2549611
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I can't fault Biscuit Cafe, it's such a pleasure to chill out and sip coffee in such a tranquil environment! I can only suggest that the 'senior reviewer' has some agenda too? Sweeping statements and reviews by people who can remain anonymous are damaging!
A senior reviewer indeed, does 'Tripadvisor' no favours

1  Thank Jim P