Stifford Hall Hotel
Orbitz.com
Travelodge Thurrock Lakeside(Grays Thurrock)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Thurrock M25(West Thurrock)(Great Value!)
$62
PremierInn.com
Ibis London Thurrock(Grays Thurrock)
$46
$41
Orsett Hall(Orsett)
$110
$106
Premier Inn London Rainham Hotel(Rainham)(Great Value!)
$71
Travelodge Dartford(Dartford)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewspark innfull englishsuperior roomwedding guestsbreakfast stafftea and coffeean overnight staywedding receptionplenty of parkinggarden suitelakeside shoppingcooked breakfastlovely groundsjamietilburylibraryfuneral
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Had to stay here a last minute but the service was great bathroom has all been refitted and had a good nights sleep. The breakfast is also great.
Would have no problem rebooking for this hotel again especially if we stay to late at Lakeside shopping.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Mapledown
David G, General Manager at Stifford Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Many thanks for your review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that you had , had a good stay with us. I do hope next time you are shopping in the area you will considder staying with us again,

Reviewed September 7, 2013

it is busy so things can be well worn but the rooms are being refurbished. Stayed in new and old rooms new very good old a bit stained etc but clean. Had the carvery several times and all bar once it was good. breakfast good as well. One room (disabled) near entrance was very noisy with the main door banging. Staff very friendly and effecient

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank GrahamFH

Dear Graham,
Many thanks for yiur review of the hotel. I was pleased to ready that you enjoyed your stay with us. Many of the rooms in the hotel were refurbished in 2010 however there are some strill to be done and we plan to do these sometime in 2014.
I do hop you will continue to use the hotel when you have the opportunity.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here as we were in the area for a wedding. The reception staff were very helpful and pleasant, our room smelt of damp but we opened the windows and it seems better, the bed was very comfortable and clean but take your own pillows!! very uncomfortable. The shower was hot but the shower head was rusty, not very professional. There was a bit of noise from corridor but I always take ear plugs anyway. Breakfast was very good although we had to ask for juice to be refilled, staff also very pleasant. The ladies toilet in the reception definitely needs upgrading, it looked dated and dirty and was like walking into a sauna, so hot.
We would use this hotel again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for your review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay. I have asked maintenance to look at the shower in the room as this should not be rusty and I am reviewing the pillow quality as I have had a number of comments about them.
The staff will be really pleased to recieve good feedback from you.
I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Arrived in the dark (the Hotel sign needs to be bigger and be lit up), greeted by loud and merry wedding party outside and in the restaurant. Instantly we started to dread the choice of hotel. It was very lively and noisy when we went to the front desk.

I was very relieved to discover our room was in a separate building to the party. Having stayed in another hotel in the same chain I admit I had fairly high expectations. I was a bit disappointed at the room smelling a bit damp and not as roomy as hoped. However that wasn't a major issue. We found the 'hidden' light switches behind the pillows - very odd placement. There was the odd dent/hole in the wall from various unknown activities...

The double bed was super comfortable, spacious and we had two pillows each which was pleasant. Bathroom light took it's time to become bright which was a little disconcerting when you first walk in and it's quite dark. Shower/bath was perfectly working and satisfactory. Furnished with a desk, drawer unit with arm chair also was nice.

The rooms are in dire need of some sound proofing, the room above us sounded like they had a fun time but we didn't need to hear about it. And a group of loud I imagine drunken 'lads' cackling at 3:30am in the corridor woke me and my partner up quite abruptly.

Limited parking - I imagine probably due to the wedding but at one point I wasn't sure if I would be able to find a space. We didn't have the breakfast but by the sounds of it we didn't miss out on much. We would probably stay again as the chain of hotel tends to be better than some others for the price bracket we are limited to. Will ask for a quiet room next time though and would like to try the food / bar.

Room Tip: Sound proofing would be ideal. If not will ask for a quiet room next time.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Blix-star

Many thanks for yoru review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that overall you had enjoyed your experience. I was sorry that some other guests woke you in the night, we do ask guests to be quiet in the corridors late at night but sometimes this can be a challenge. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Best regards

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked this hotel through Lastminute.Com as we were visiting relatives nearby and the price for the night was competitive with the Hilton in Dartford in which we usually stayed. We booked a double room. On our arrival at the reception we went through the normal formalities during which the gentlemen on reception asked me to confirm my booking was for a double room asking if I would prefer a room with two beds in it. I asked if the room being offered was a double double ( a larger room with two double beds) and was told it was a twin bedded room. I declined the offer but was asked again if I was sure I wouldn't prefer the twin bedded room to which I again declined. I was still quite clam but annoyed at this stage but my partner of 25 years was getting annoyed by way in which we were being subjected to a conversation at reception which in this day and age we should not have been subjected too. We have never experience this sort of questioning before and felt quite uncomfortable by it. We left for our room annoyed by what had taken place. I do not believe we were being judged for our sexuality but I believe the situation could have been handled in a much better way.
When we got to our room neither the main light or bedside lights worked. We looked in all the obvious places for switches etc finally calling reception to ask if they knew how the bedside lights operated as I need to do some work prior to going out for an evening meal and the room was to dark for me to achieve this. The first person to try to solve this mystery was the gentleman from reception. He search around the room, tripped the fuse switch with no success and left saying maintenance would be called. Shortly after another knock at the door, in came another employee who did almost similar to what we and the man from reception had done. He apologised and left. Shortly after we had a call from the gentleman at reception, nothing could be done about the lack of lights working. I asked if we could move rooms and was told there were no alternative rooms available (apparently not even the twin bedded room we had been offered earlier)I asked if there was some way we could have the room at a cheaper price but was told that as we had booked through Lastminute.com this was not possible. Complementary drinks were offered but neither of us drink so we declined. Eventually we agreed that for our next visit we would receive a complementary meal for two, however on reflection due to the treatment we received when booking in we are unlikely to return even though we found the beds very comfortable, the breakfast nice and the young lady at reception and also the one in the restaurant for breakfast very nice and friendly. On retiring for the evening we moved the pillows from the bed to discover the switches for the lights. In the morning we told the young lady on reception about the problems with the lights at which she was not surprised and commented about the number of times she had to mention the "hidden" switches.
During our stay we were asked if we would give our email address for a customer survey to be completed. It has been one whole week since our stay and we have received nothing which is why I felt I need to air my views here.

Room Tip: If you can't find the light switch look behind the pillows on the bed!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Tallbear55

Many thanks for your review of the hotel. I was sorry to read about the experience you had on check in. I have addressed this with the member of staff concerned and I would agree with you that perhaps the check in could have been handled in a different way avoiding any upset to you or your partner. I am confident that this member of the team is now clear on my expectations. I hope I was able to re-assure you when we spoke over email. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Best regard