“A nice change from what has become the norm.”

The Cliff House Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

I have visited barton on sea many times but, as others have said, have for some reason always over looked this place. Having now visited I find some of the reviews a little harsh to be honest, and the comparison to other near by restaurants a little absurd, the Cliffe house is a totally different experience to nearby establishments.

The service was very good, not pushy, not absent. The food was simply stunning, and quite imaginative. A lot of pride has gone in to this family business and its nice to eat in a place that isn't pretentious!

We Will be back, without doubt. I just hope I have a reason to stay!Thank you to Kerry and the team, you're my number 1 in barton!

marinedrivewest, Manager at The Cliff House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

Thank you for your review, we are glad that you enjoyed your visit.
We do strive to provide a relaxed, yet professional service, and we are pleased that you enjoyed this, as well as our food!

We look forward to welcoming you back, and if you do decide to stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact us.

All the best,

The Cliff House Team

Reviewed May 17, 2014

I have lived in the area for 13 years and I don't know why I have overlooked The Cliff House .
It was charming. We went for the Fizz and Fish night and the food was excellent . The decor was fresh and welcoming our waiter was very lively and amusing . We went outside to see the beautiful sunset which was a bonus. There were people sitting outside by a lit chimanea with a glass of wine enjoying the late sun. It was all very relaxing I will definitely go back

Hi Linda,

Thank you very much for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your meal with us. We aim to provide a relaxing experience, and we are glad you found it to be so. The weather was a bonus too!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. And just to let you know that once a month our Fish and Fizz is accompanied by live music. Please call us for more details.

All the best,

The Cliff House Team

Reviewed May 15, 2014

What a shame. Lovely location, nice design and excellently kept Thwaites beer (somewhat of a surprise to find it in Barton given that it's brewed in Lancashire).

However, the bar snacks are very over-priced e.g. chips £3 and the prawn sandwiches we had were rather small in size, made with stale bread and had balsamic dressing with them which I love but which does not go with marie-rose sauce.

Very disappointing overall.

2  Thank exeman
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We have been a few times for the 'Fish and Fizz' evenings which are pretty good value. The atmosphere and decor and layout is quaint, almost old fashioned! Good views!
Most of the staff are efficient and pleasant, some not so!!!
There are better restaurants nearby!

2  Thank mjderrick
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Offhand greeting by lady owner, almost rude we felt. Rather shabby 'damp' walls in bar area. We were made to feel we were a nuisance and thought that £7.50 for 2 coffees was an absolute 'rip off'. We had intended to stay for lunch but after the 'welcome' and a good look at the state of the walls etc we decided to go elsewhere.

3  Thank Hotelinspector1958
marinedrivewest, Manager at The Cliff House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your visit to us, I am sorry you felt that your initial welcome was not up to our normal standards, we pride ourselves on being a happy, guest driven establishment.

Unfortunately, as you rightly pointed out, we did have a damp patch on the small pillar adjacent to the external bar door. This was caused during the severe weather we experienced a few months back and is, rather fortunately, the only area of damage we sustained. Luckily, following the recent spell of dry weather, we were able to carry out remedial work to this area. This is a problem that can be quite common for properties that enjoy the kind of location that we do.

With regards, to the price of our coffee, you will recall that you ordered a Large Cafetiere which, as you correctly stated, cost £7.50. Our Large Cafetieres hold a minimum of 4 cups of coffee, thus making each cup £1.88 which I’m sure many people would find rather reasonable for a cup of freshly made coffee.

We do hope you decide to try us again, as I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. However I would recommend that if you join us on one of our Jazz Lunch Days again (First Monday of every month) that you book in advance as we fill up very quickly, as you probably noticed.