“A disappointing dinner”

Pebble Beach Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Opening hours Morning Monday to Friday: 10am - 2.30Pm Saturday: 10am - 3pm Sunday: 10pm - 3pm Evening Monday to Friday: 6pm - 11pm Saturday: 6pm - 11pm Sunday: 6.30Pm - 10.30Pm Serving Times Lunch Monday to Friday: 12pm-2pm Saturday & Sunday: 12pm-2.30Pm Dinner Sunday to Thursday: 6.30Pm-9.30Pm Friday & Saturday 6.30Pm-10pm
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A disappointing dinner”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We recently went back to Pebble Beach for the 3rd time and brought some friends for a special birthday celebration. We had decided to return with our friends as our last meal there in early December was very enjoyable with friendly and professional service. On this occassion that was sadly not the case. My husband had looked forward to having the delicious smoked haddock souffle as a starter because he had enjoyed it so much on our last visit, this time it was completely different, tasting bland and with some ingredients missing. We also shared some tempura prawns as an appetizer, although the coating was nice and the prawns were fresh we were not impressed that the prawns had not been de-veined and no one enjoys eating that!! As they cost £20 for 12 prawns I think the chef should make the effort to clean up the prawns before cooking them. The main courses were ok but not up to standard considering the prices. Do not order the Dover sole if you are expecting the whole fish, they serve only three small fillets. The lobster thermidor was nice enough. Unfortunately disappointing food was not the only let down of the evening, the staff that were serving our table were not in the least bit friendly and also the wine placed at our table before we sat down was not the wine we had ordered. The waiter then disappeared for 15minutes before returning with the correct bottle but did not apologise for the delay. Four of us were squashed on to a smallish table meaning that when the bread and starters arrived there was not enough room and so the candle and flower had to be removed from our table. Our expensive bottle of red wine which was decanted had to be placed on the low window sill as there was no space for it on the table, cetainly not what you would expect in an up market restaurant. All in all it was a disappointment particularly as we had recommended it to friends and gone there on the night of their birthday. The bill was almost £350 for 4, we did order some nice wine but sadly we came away feeling it was overpriced for the standard of food served and the very average service from the staff. Lovely setting but won't be going back.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Siobhan3556

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hampshire, England
“Solid food, ok atmosphere.”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Took friends here not having been for a couple of years. Food was as good as always, lovely soufflés, excellent steaks, nice wines.
Decor at the back still needs to be brought up to date, but service good as always. The other couple have never been before both left very happy and suitably impressed with the fayre. Will visit again soon. Still one of the best between Bournemouth and Lymington. £235 for 4 including some pre dinner g+t's, wine and 3 courses each.

“Sumptuous”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Four of us went for Sunday lunch and had a superb table with a fantastic view out to the Isle of Wight. I had what for me was a sinnful (and hence enjoyable) dozen oysters, lobster thermadore (delicious) and the apple pie and blackberry icecream. What was especially nice was the service - very solicitous without intruding, always smiling and I particularly liked that whenever she passed she would either deliver something or let us know that she was on her way to get spmething - none of that sitting around wondering if the waitress has forgotten you. The only let down was my personal restaurant bete noire - when I ask for the bill I like to get it now, with the machine so I can pay and get going. Anything over three minutes to pay iritates me........but I am unreasonable. So all in all a very worthwhile eating experience.

Uckfield, United Kingdom
“I wish I lived closer”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Pebble Beach is FANTASTIC, the food is exquisite,the service is excellent.
I only wished I lived closer as I would go there every week,the menu is varied with well thought out variations.
Views from the restaurant and the patio are excellent,eating out on a summers day on the patio is ideal make sure you book ahead.
The bar overlooking the kitchen is unusual but again watching the buzz in the kitchen whilst your meal is being prepared has a lovely touch about it.
The prices are not cheap unless you eat before 18:30 when there are special deals available.
We stayed for one night after having dinner on one occassion, however the room was small with no views,if its just a room that is required to get your head down fine, but not to spend any amount of time in,if that is required ask to see the Penthouse .
Other than September 2012 we have had dinner there on five occassions and we also organised a Birhday dinner for my wife with 20 people and a Company dinner for 50 people all over a five year period and have never been let down.
We live 120 miles away but worth the journey.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Robert W
Bransgore, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food but lacking identity.”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I ate at Pebble Beach last Saturday night with my partner and we both thoroughly enjoyed the food, especially the Haddock Soufflé and the Cod Florentine, helped along by a very reasonably priced and enjoyable bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. However, the front of house lacked any real identity due to lack of presence you would expect from key members of staff. Font of house are critical when crating the appropriate interface between the food and the customer. Our waitress was very pleasant and efficient for the majority of the time but the restaurant manager and sommelier lacked personality and presence. For some this might not be important but personally the dining experience can be hugely enhanced by professional and communicative front of house staff.

• Visited February 2013