“OK b&b but not as good as expected”

La Capuccina - Agriturismo
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The reviews on tripadvisor really had me looking forward to going to this place. The agriturismo is ok, but I wasn't that wowed as others.

Our room was pretty noisy. Whenever someone put on a tap somewhere we heared the running of water loudly through the wall. When we were there were not many people (restaurant was closed most of the nights), but a can imagine that when its open you would really hear the noise.
The pool is nice, there is a huge hedge around it so you don't have a view. The sunbeds looked pretty good, but as there were no pillows on them, not a real feast to lie on.

In the real close environment we found there is not that much to do. Lago Orta is nice, and aprox. 20 minutes to drive. The other lakes are further away. Milan is at an hour at least. Its not really a wine area, therefore you have to be more south, or east.

Maybe we missed something, but we weren't that impressed. I would stay on one of the lakes if I was ever to go back to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closest to the pool (= furthest away from the restaurant)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Capuccina - Agriturismo

Reviewed December 16, 2012

My friends and I made our last stop here before a morning flight to Malpensa airport (40 minute drive). I wasn't expecting much since we had just spent 5 days in heart of Piemonte, but this place was really fantastic. We arrived in the late afternoon and then had a wonderful meal at their restaurant which was filled to the brim with locals having a big Saturday night out. The food was locally sourced and well thought and the wine represented the region -- the chef (and host) personally helping us select wines we were quite unfamiliar with. Great value. The setting and rooms are a good balance of modern and rustic. Very comfortable and cozy for a cold night in November. The pool looked nice, so we will have to come back some time when it isn't freezing outside. The host and hostess went out of their way to make us feel at home. The one suggestion I would have for improvement would be to have a lounge area for guests to hang out in. In the summer I am sure this wouldn't be an issue. This is absolutely going to be my regular stop anytime I am visiting the area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gumonmyshoe
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This place is worth making a special trip for, regardless of the nearby lakes. Go on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday and combine your stay with an extremely good 6 course set menu for 35 euros a head. Set in flat farmland just below the foothills of the Italian Alps. Extremely well converted old farm with lovely rooms and great furniture and bathrooms. Our room had its own private sauna! The B&B also has a working farm with vines, fresh fruit and veg for their restaurant, cows, goats, geese and chickens. The swimming pool and gardens are extremely well kept. The staff are excellent and will make sure you are looked after all day long. Well worth the visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Magonetic
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I am a cook who recently visited La Capuccina to work in the kitchen and learn more about Italian cooking. I was traveling around northern Italy with my boss/chef sampling the food and wine and working in a variety of kitchens. On top of being a beautiful hotel in an incredible location, the food was the best we sampled in Italy. The chef takes special care to prepare food in the classic Piedmont style while adding his own personal touches. Wine, cheese, gelato, pasta and bread are made on the premises. Produce, dairy and meat come from the farm surrounding the hotel. And whatever the farm cannot provide, the chef buys locally. The food is fresh and delicious and the owners are welcoming (although the cooks need work on their dart skills). As a cook who has traveled in Italy twice, La Capuccina is a must.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kirk V
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I had the priviledge to spend two days at La Capuccina
I has been a real pleasure to meet Raffaela, Gian Luca and their 3 children
The rooms are beautiful, the farm grounds feel real, well groomed yet functional and real
The food is authentic, tells the life of the surroundings
Raffaela and Gian Luca were extremelly helpful to get me out of a troubled situation
I would go back and make sure all my friends know about this beautiful place

a few words on the olocation: conveniently situated closed to Lago d'Orta: you have safe access to this lovely little lake, knowing that you won't have to drive far to come back to the farm for a siesta

Finally, this place reminded me of what the Slow Food is all about, I will know renew my membership knowing that key people in this organisation still know the meaning of authenticity!

Room Tip: I was lucky enough to stay in the room on their business card... lovely and warm, great views to the...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Frenchy72_11
Reviewed August 15, 2011

An italian Agriturismo is normally a Country B&B with very simple but genuine homemade food. Sometimes they'll have animals, sometimes a simple orchard so that you can enjoy fresh fruits and veggies. La Capuccina is on a different level. The rooms are very pretty in natural shades of beige, green and plum, design is minimal yet quite chic and they all look over the beautiful vineyards. There are animals and also an orchard where Owner and Chef Gianluca will pick all the fresh ingredients for your breakfast and dinner.
Him and his wife are truly kind people and their presence is always discreet and helpful. Breakfast starts al fresco with a pot of fresh coffee and home made biscuits, cakes and plenty of freshly squeezed fruit juices. If you are visiting Piedmont this place is an excellent base to stay while travelling around and unwind in the evening. When we stayed there we were particularly impressed with the quality and presentation of dinner. You cannot choose, Gianluca will simply serve a three course dinner and you are guaranteed to be fully satisfied. Fresh flavours, creative combinations and amazing food. You can also book your dinner there even if you are not a guest of the Agriturismo. Definitely worth the trip!

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank marilena-Italy
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We have enjoyed several visits to La Capuccina (travelling from London) and have always enjoyed a wonderful experience. Gianluca and Rafaela are very warm and kind hosts. The setting is fantastic and extremely comfortable - you quickly relax in this environment.

A bonus is the exceptional restaurant with amazing food, wine and friendly service.

The location is excellent - close to Milan Malpensa airport, Lake Orta, Varallo and the mountains of Alagna. While the area has much to offer it is often easier to leave the car keys in the room and remain at La Capuccina relaxing by the lovely pool with a glass of vino. I cant wait for my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 72matt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cureggio
La Darbia
#1 of 2 in Oleggio Castello
Hotel Ristorante Giardinetto
Farm House Altana del Motto Rosso
Agriturismo Fano's Farm

Been to La Capuccina - Agriturismo? Share your experiences!