“A comfortable stay close to the sea”
Review of The Village Inn

The Village Inn
The Village Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Westward Ho B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 29, 2014

There are few places to stay in Westward Ho! And this was the only place we could book for a weekend. It is well positioned only a short distance from the sea, in fact some rooms have a sea view. It has only 5 rooms, one of which is the garden room which is accessed from outside, this gives more flexibility as you can come and go without having to go through the pub each time. The staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating, allowing us to eat our take away in the pub, letting us leave our cars for the day once we had checked out. It's not 'slick' but everyone was great.
The rooms are a little tired but clean and comfortable, my only gripe was the lightness of the curtains making it hard to sleep once the sun had risen. There are tea and coffee making facilities as well as hot chocolate and biscuits.
Breakfast was varied and tasty and served in the conservatory and, although we didn't eat in the restaurant it looked busy and the food smelt amazing.
Overall this is a super place to stay, a little quirky but it has a lovely, family run feel. We would definitely stay again, if only to sit out on the decking at the front to watch the sunset.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Village Inn

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed at the Village Inn for one night, What a surprise!! My room and the bathroom were large, airy and comfortable as was the rest of the inn. The service was excellent and so friendly, and it was splendid value, being so close to the beach. The breakfast was delicious ... I wish I had eaten supper there too! Next time I visit the area, I will definitely put it at the top of my list of where to stay. I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed here for a one night stop over, I have to say that the room was very nice, but hadn't been cleaned that well the carpet looked like it had not been vacuumed, the bathroom was ok except that the shelf where you would put your toothbrushes etc had not been cleaned as there was still toothpaste on the shelf from the last occupier!! that aside the bed was made with fresh bedding and that all that counts really, we ate in the restaurant which would have almost been perfect if they wasn't at the time having some work done behind the bar, so the banging of hammers etc was a little off putting whilst trying to eat, but this was clearly a one off, we have eaten here before and the food is superb, the breakfast was also very good. we would look at staying here again and I only ever put an honest review to help rather than put a place down, the location is great and the staff are very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed here recently with my husband over Easter. Rooms were comfy and warm and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was tasty and freshly cooked and we also ate dinner here twice which was also good. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The bedroom and bathroom were fine (and clean), and the bed comfy, so no quibbles on that front. There were just odd moments (and things) that make one think the customer just isn't considered. You can only shave if you are willing to crouch like Quasimodo, or if you are only 4ft 6ins tall, and what is it that you cannot leave your bedroom until after 7:45 in the morning. If you do an alarm is triggered. Inmates have to stay incarcerated until then, unless prior arrangements are sought. And I hate to think how that conversation would go, when I asked if it would be OK to leave my car in the car park until late in the day (when we had walked to Clovelly and got a bus back) you would think I had asked to have my dirty laundry attended to, agreement to do so was only grudgingly given. It left a "bad taste in my mouth" (it wasn't the breakfast, that was fine, although the coffee was tasteless).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank KeithWhiteparish
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I'd like to start by saying that it's a great inn. The welcome was warm and it has a nice down-to-earth feel about it.
The breakfast time was a little too restrictive for us so we opted to give it a miss and they agreed to knock some money off the bill. Cool.

As it was a Sunday I asked when the bar closed and was told that it would be 10.30pm. No worries.

We checked the 'rules' and they state that they lock the door at 11.30pm, so we made sure that we were back in good time, but when we arrived the door was locked. Rang the bell and the landlord came down in his dressing gown with little to say other than we should have come back sooner. Tried to explain that we were told about the bar closing but he insisted that he had heard this conversation and we had been told. Not going to argue at this point as it was late and I'd had a drink.

I didn't appreciate being made to feel like a fool and a liar when it was a simple communication problem that could have been avoided by making it clearer that they lock the door. In addition the door was locked before the time stated.

Apart from this it is a nice place to stay. Rooms are spacious and have good views, and the wifi is fast.

Bar is nice and had we not attended a family event we would most likely have eaten here too.

Give it a go but make sure you're aware of the time to be back.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband , son and I stopped here on the kids half term with friends we found it very comfy . It's in a great location for the beach . I should said in the summer it's great because the room we had u could see the beach . The breakfast was really good and there a tea tray in your room . Room was very clean and tidy and the staff was very friendly !!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
#31 of 36 in Bideford
Westbeach Resort
Westbeach Resort
#4 of 9 in Westward Ho

Been to The Village Inn? Share your experiences!