“Ok But Too Expensive”

The Galleon Fish & Chip Shop
Ranked #5 of 39 Restaurants in Rhos-on-Sea
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Description: The Galleon fish & chip shop is a family owned business, trading with it's current owners since 1991, Andrew & Tina Whincup. The Galleon has been awarded many prestigious awards over the past 12 years, named Welsh Fish and Chip Shop of the Year 2002 by the Seafish Industry Authority, becoming runners up in the UK 2002 & 2003. Tina also came 3rd in Young Fish frier of the year competition in 1999. Here at The Galleon we pride ourselves on the quality of our product. Our customer service and food quality are by far the most important thing to us and we will be more than happy to take your comments on board.
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Prices are too high.Fish & chips used to be a cheap meal,gone are those days.Nice chips but not good value.

3  Thank flyinghigh1000
thewhincups, Owner at The Galleon Fish & Chip Shop, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm glad you hear that you enjoyed your food but I'm sorry that you felt we were over priced, we are evenly matched price wise as most of the other highly recognised fish & chip shops in the area. Fish & chip did used to be a cheap meal but gone are the days of that i'm afraid with suppliers hiking up prices and fishing quotas/limits governing prices also, I know it doesn't make things better but we are all in the same boat, as the increases to us as businesses has a knock on effect governing the cost to our customers also. Kind regards, Tina.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Been here a few times over the years and was really disappointed with today's visit.

Chips were overpriced for the portion size, soggy and appear to have been cooked a while. The cup of tea was absolutely tasteless. Not one we'll be visiting again

2  Thank The_Rhos
thewhincups, Owner at The Galleon Fish & Chip Shop, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way considering you say you have visited many times before. The Tea is the same tea we have been using for the last 10 years, so I'm unsure why it was tasteless. As for the soggy chips, obviously I cannot comment on that particular day but no other complaints were made. I would encourage anyone who feels dis-satisfied with a business to comment at the actual time of visit and let the establishment correct any errors at that time, had you spoke to a member of our staff at the time then the matter would have been dealt with and your meal exchange for another if not at least no charge. Thank you for your feedback. Tina.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Fish decent but chips soggy & mushy peas sweet & too "green". Almost £20 for fish chips & mushy peas times two , sausage & can of pop. Rip off. Didnt think it was appropriate for fryer to be wearing a T shirt & hideous gold chain & serving girl in her plain clothes. Show more professionalism if you are going to charge top prices.

thewhincups, Owner at The Galleon Fish & Chip Shop, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hi there, sorry to hear your review was so negative. Peas are fresh dried with no added colouring, so unsure why too green. Sweetness could be an error on the staffs part though so for this I apologise. Chips soggy is by no means acceptable and I will look into why this might have been as we are always conscious of top quality product. Glad to hear you were happy with the fish as we are known for it. Prices unfortunately are part of the course, we are still on par with all other fish & chips shops in the area (is not cheaper than some) and governed by price increases from suppliers. As for member of staff in plain clothes, it was probably her first week working with us and uniform hasn't arrived yet, we usually ask new employees to wear black T Shirt and trousers until uniform is available. Friers attire will be looked into also as we have strict uniform standards. I hope you give us the chance to prove ourselves worthy again. Our standards are always of the highest nature and it concerns us when our customers are not 100% happy. Thank you for your feedback, it will be taken on board. Tina.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Now I know that Colwyn Bay on a December Sunday afternoon isnt for everyone but I can tell you that the food here was great and a real surprise
The place itself is unusual, its on a residential street, though parking was easy. Step inside and you will find a business that has a less than a clear division between business space and home space but I have eaten some fine food in places that have operated on a similar basis but it is off putting to see personal belongings on tables etc.
I ordered Haddock and chips with beans and some b&b. The haddock was fresh, thick with a superb light batter, the chips were also fresh and no greasy at all. The beans were Heinz and had not been sat under an infra red lamp all afternoon. Sadly the sachet ketchup was not up to scratch. Its not expensive at all.
Now I am not suggesting this restaurant is the finest in North Wales, nor would I suggest traveling to Colwyn Bay just to experience the haddock. I am saying that if your in Colwyn Bay and fancy fish and chips, thi place is better than one would expect.

Thanks so much for your comments and feedback. It's lovely to hear when someone visits and doesn't use this site just to complain! Our fish is something we pride ourselves on and it's reputation goes before us with anyone who is used to dining with us frequently. Really glad you enjoyed your visit to us, we look forward to seeing you again soon. Tina.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

chips look warm, fish overcooked and chewey would not return, in the past fish have always been good and chips poor.

1  Thank kenneth b