Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Fantastic Spanish school, highly recommended

Context: I studied here for 2.5 months, at both Envigado and Laureles locations, from basic all the... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
soroushjp
San Francisco, California
Amazing school in Laureles

Great school and amazing city! I was suppose to study Spanish for 2 weeks in Laureles but... read more

Reviewed November 27, 2018
Van Es Sa D
Toronto, Canada

All reviews learn spanish coaching sessions friday night immersion program spanish school two weeks language exchange learning experience salsa lessons empanadas second week fellow students excellent teachers feel at home all sorts administrative staff meet locals
Reviewed January 8, 2018

A superb Spanish learning experience. I wouldn't call it a school, there are no desks or strict rules here, simply classes which are full of Spanish language fun, activities, and most importantly, speaking practice!!!

There are two Colombia Immersion schools to choose from, Laureles and Envigado - I spent my time at the Envigado "school".
You can opt for the full-immersion experience, that is; 4 hour classes 5 days per week, 5 hours of additional conversational coaching to force you to speak and learn from your mistakes, and staying in a local Colombian's family home to give you the full experience and force you to speak Spanish.

I opted for the 4 hour classes and added some conversational coaching hours each week as I didn't want to be overwhelmed. But the point is, there is flexibility in how you choose to learn.

In addition, each day there is an activity you can opt-into, such as field trips to local towns, Salsa lessons, learn how to make empanadas etc. etc. I only had one teacher during my time there, Andrea, who is possibly the best teacher I've learnt from. She is passionate, lively, creative and has a great sense of humour, which results in classes that are genuinely fun and keep you interested, which for me, is extremely important in any learning environment.

Couldn't recommend the whole experience any higher and you WILL improve your Spanish here!

1  Thank wooders322
ColombiaImmersion, Owner at Colombia Immersion Spanish School, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2018

Thank you!

Reviewed January 7, 2018 via mobile

I attended seven weeks of group classes (my husband attended private classes) at the Laureles site of Colombia Immersion. I’m at the Intermediate level, my husband is at the Advanced level. We’re seniors who like to travel in spanish-speaking countries in the Canadian winter. Between us, we’ve been to about 20 different spanish schools throughout Central and Latin America, and we regard Colombia Immersion as one of the best.

The school is very well managed. Johanna, at the front desk, is a great administrator; she greets everyone with a smile, seems to know where everyone should be, and who is due to pay their fees.

The teachers are enthusiastic, well-prepared, and knowledgeable. They are fun and professional. I had classes with Eliana and Nando, who are both top-notch teachers. At the advanced level, it’s hard to find a school that can really improve your spanish, but my husband felt nicely challenged by his classes with Eliana, Nando, and Catalina.

The curriculum is challenging, but fun. The pace of classes makes the four hours go by quickly. In addition to the usual grammar lessons and verb drills, there is an emphasis on speaking Spanish, so there is a lot of time for talking. Classes include a variety of activities including songs, short stories, movies, games and role-playing, providing an opportunity to use the Spanish just learned.

Students are evaluated weekly, and moved ahead as soon as they’re ready. The school seems to attract a lot of serious students, so everyone does their homework, and many students take extra coaching classes in the afternoon. The school also runs an after-school immersion program including outings around Medellín that deepen students’ understanding of Colombian culture.

This is a school with heart, that not only wants you to learn Spanish, but share in the culture. Great value. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Bijou7551

We're very happy to hear you had such a good experience! Thank you for your kind words!

Reviewed December 26, 2017

I spent five weeks at the Colombia Immersion Spanish school, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to take their Spanish to the next level! As a 34 year old, I was a little concerned that I would be older than most of the students, but it was a really good mix of students of all ages and backgrounds, and everyone was taking their classes very seriously. The small group setting was perfect for moving quickly but allowing us to learn from each other's mistakes, as well as from the instructor. I have taken Spanish in the past, but after this experience I finally feel like I can hold a conversation, and I am able to move my comprehension forward on my own, using the foundation I got at the school. I also recommend a homestay, which was an important part of the immersion process. Going home to a house full of Spanish-speakers really solidified what I was learning every day at the school.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank Kate W
Reviewed December 14, 2017 via mobile

A great school with great teachers, small clases, nice rooms and finally a really nice receptionist ;)
I highly recommed Colombia Immersion!

1  Thank Lukas H
ColombiaImmersion, Public Relations Manager at Colombia Immersion Spanish School, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2017

Luke! Thank you for the review. Having you here was also great. Hope to see you again. Have a good life.

Reviewed December 7, 2017 via mobile

I went to the Laureles campus for one month and it was absolutely brilliant, I really cannot recommend it highly enough. Excellent teachers, incredibly friendly and relaxed but professional vibe, and they have all sorts of different levels and packages so that there's something to suit everybody (including v reasonably priced one on one coaching if you want it). I did the 20 hour per week option and my Spanish has improved out of sight. They also organise heaps of events (both social and cultural) which are a great way to meet people and to explore the incredible city of Medellín. I will look back on my month at Colombia Immersion with real fondness for many years to come - I learned so much, met so many great people, had so many laughs and created so many great memories. Two massive thumbs up!

1  Thank Davos1983

Thank you for the review. It is really nice to read that you not only learned a lot but will have great memories, that motivate us to keep working on the whole immersion experience and keep improveing.