All reviewsfrench polynesiafew minutes driveoverlooking the oceanmountain sidetwo nightsoutdoor showersmall fridgeair conditioningrobinson crusoespa bungalowsgarden of edentaravaomountainsideantstahitisurfisland
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We target local places out of mass turism and this definitely is one of those. Couple of beautiful bungalows located by the hill side, looking like hobbit nests... If you wish to wake up with the nature (birds, gekko's etc.) you find it here. We stayed in one with excellent view down to the garden and the sea. Picked ripe mangos every day (fallen from the trees), what a great aroma. Bungalows are missing some walls, so breath of air will make them cosy even on the hottest daylight. You have a fan but no aircon and sleeping upstairs under mosquito net was like being in our modest summer cottage in Northern Finland. Some practical advice, you need to be active yourself, nobody is creating the daily what-to-lists. Food is available from the village shop about less than kilometer down the road. And this is on hillside, you need to get your body uphill a lot. Of course you can rent a vechile, but that kind of spoils the idea of being close to the nature, doesn't it. Closet bank for currency change is in Taravao village and easy& cheap is by buss. Remember to take passport and there is only 1 bank for that so check the opening days before you go.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AriAndArja
Reviewed February 16, 2013

First and foremost, I cringe at some of the negative reviews of this remote tropical paradise...This IS supposed to be serene and quiet, and it IS just like it says....We stayed in Kava as well, and found it very comfortable and serene, but you have to know what you are going there for. The views and the tranquility... For those nay sayers , do your research and comprehend where you are going before you go, period.... this place was sheer beauty in the raw,all nature... yes, the steep walk is challenging....Get a car, for sure, cook in, I recommend going to the huge grocery before you get there,( Carefore??)// it is on the way....Soak in the fantastic sunsets, open air, rain, sun, it's about relaxing... Enjoy the birds that sing to you in the early morning..enjoy the positive and nature...

Room Tip: the point is to disappear and enjoy, so no services above and beyond and walk up down the hills, that your fitness center....awesome
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Tahiti as a destination for me was all about looking after the soul ... so yes, I booked accommodation in a five-star resort and enjoyed my stay there.

But, if I am honest, my time at Vanira Lodge (six nights ... no car) was absolutely paradise. My bungalow (Kava) nestled in the hillside overlooking the lagoon, beautiful gardens, postcard sunsets, even on rainy days was a revelation. The perfect place to escape the rat-race.

Despite the language barriers, I found the staff to be courteous and helpful at every occasion and I can't wait to feast on Tahitian pancakes for breakfast again!!

The kitchenette was practical, the supermarket a short walk, so being self-sufficient for lunch and dinner wasn't difficult.

Whilst the bungalow was open to the elements, it was extremely private and comfortable all at the same time. I found the geekos who ventured inside at night to be wonderful entertainment ... who needs air-conditioning and television, no, not I. Not forgetting lying in bed listening to the waves crash on the reef ... a lullaby for grown-ups.

Despite being told the wi-fi area was in the breakfast gazebo, adjacent to the office ... I had no problem connecting to the internet from my bungalow.

Personally, the only things I would change ... a towel rail in the bathroom and paper towels in the kitchen ... in the scheme of things, very minor.

I have found my slice of heaven here on earth and Vanira Lodge someday soon I will return to you ...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank EV0102
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at Vanira Lodge for two nights and wow is the property gorgeous. There is very lush landscape and it is nestled up on a hillside for spectacular views. The accommodation was very nice and private. The downside is the rain. The two days we were there it poured down rain which made our stay nice but our tour of the area not so nice. If you are into just lounging around or surfing then Teahupoo is perfect, however if you want to do anything active outside such as snorkel, hike, or kayak it is not a good place to visit. For the more active traveler I would recommend skipping Tahiti iti and going to one of the other island such as Moorea for more adventure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 760love2travel
Reviewed February 4, 2012

OK, here's the deal - if you want a resort hotel, then book a resort hotel. If however you want to stay in a beautiful hillside location, with sunset views and landscaped gardens, then this is the place.
The bungalows themselves (we stayed in Kava) are basic but have everything you need. The bathroom has a shower made of stone, and the kitchen has hob, microwave, fridge and toaster. We didn't find it to be dirty at all although we did have to ask to have our bin emptied at one point. It was done without fuss, and very quickly. The bungalow is open to the elements. It has windows round the living area but the dining area has an open balcony. We were there in the wet season, and although we were lucky to have only one wet day, as others have commented there was a smell of dampness after the rain. But that's Tahiti. It's hot and humid.
The pool is small, but perfectly clean and the water's a nice temperature. But why swim in the pool when you're surrounded by a tropical lagoon? The beaches are a few minutes drive away, and are not like you'll see in other parts of French Polynesia, but you can jump into the sea pretty much anywhere you can get to it without going through private property.
The only big problem we had was mosquitos. However, once we used all the (supplied) armoury at our disposal (mosquito coils, plug-in insecticide, mosquito net round the bed and aerosol of insecticide) we had no more bother. Make sure to kill any mozzies inside the net before going to bed though...!
The owner, Karine, was nothing other than friendly and helpful on the several occasions on which we needed to speak to her. Yes, she and her family keep themselves to themselves, but that's better than being in your face 24/7 in my opinion.
If you don't like geckos and lizards scampering round your living room, or snails crawling into the shower, then don't come here. But this is made clear on the website, and it didn't bother us at all. In fact, we found the geckos quite fascinating as they snapped up insects for their dinner at the window each evening.
Downsides - you'll need to be quite fit, because the bungalows are up a steep hill from the car parking area (you will need a car, because you're 75km from Papeete), and it's hard work hauling heavy suitcases up the hill. Also, the interior stair up to the bed is very steep and requires care.
But we enjoyed every minute of our stay in Vanira Lodge - come here with the facts and you'll love it.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple