“Deceptively good!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Finghall B&B and Inns
Derby, United Kingdom
“Deceptively good!!”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Don't be influenced by the facade of the Queen's Head. When we arrived slightly early and sat in the car our initial thoughts were that it looked quite small and a bit tired.

How wrong were we. Round the back of the pub are 3 rooms and ours was modern and roomy with everything you could need for a short stay. The room was comfortable, clean and warm (too warm until I turned the heating down!!).

We dined in the restaurant which is large and modern in style and again totally belies the front of the building. Food portions were generous and very good as was breakfast with a good choice.

Wouldn't hesitate to book again when visiting the area .

1 Thank Alf_traveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay at the beautifully located Queens Head with our two German Shepherd Dogs. The bedroom was warm, comfortable and spacious, the bar is full of character, and the food was perfect. Although our dogs were not allowed into the pub itself, we were able to leave them in the room whilst we went for meals, something that is rarely allowed and for which we were very grateful as we don't like to leave them in the car unnecessarily. A special mention goes to all the staff we came into contact with, who were, without exception, friendly and efficient. We look forward to a return visit.

1 Thank tk963
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Excellent hotel accommodation - we only stayed one night but the staff couldn't have been more helpful. The room was superb with complimentary tea/coffee biscuits and sweets. We also booked to eat in the restaurant, again excellent service with delicious food.

The breakfast was amazing fruit/yogurt followed by full English for husband and I had part of English everything was really good quality. Would definitely recommend staying or just eating in this quaint little pub with roaring open fire

Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My wife and I were staying at Swinton Park but wanted a good quality meal at a reasonable price. We arrived to find ourselves the only guests in the entire hotel. My wife chose a starter and main course (Sea Bass) from the specials board whilst I had 2 courses (main - roast pheasant on haggis with a whisky sauce) from the early evening menu. Both were superb and exceeded our expectations in quality and price. Our waitress, Tracy, was very attentive and provided excellent service including letting me taste a couple of beers to ensure I chose the right one.

I would thoroughly recommend the meals and cannot praise the cooking enough.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike B
North
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just had the pleasure of spending a night in this wonderful Inn.

We have eaten here on a few occasions with our children and on the last time decided to book for my birthday weekend for just my husband and myself and I'm so glad we did!

Our room was lovely - food excellent as usual - service brilliant but discreet and although there was a 21st celebration taking place it did not disturb us at all! Many thanks - we always did appreciate your food but also now having a night with you made it perfect and to finish on a high note breakfast was to die for!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Happyegg
Moray
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Only stayed one night while visiting friends, I had to drag myself away the following day, this is such a lovely pub set in outstanding countryside.

Stayed in a family room, which was actually an annex at the back of the pub, the rooms we immaculate, two bedrooms with a small sitting room and large bathroom. Everything you would need for a comfortable stay, complimentary tea, coffee, biscuits and a bowl of sweet, hairdryer and iron

Woke the next morning to the sound of the countryside, sheep and birdsong, it was so peaceful.

Breakfast was delicious, you chose from a menu and the food was all locally sourced.

I will definitely be making future visits to this pub and hopefully stay longer next time!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DottysueMoray
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed November 15, 2013

The Queen's Head is a hidden gem just off the A684, east of Leyburn in North Yorkshire. The pub is very old and charming, built in the 1600's. Two fireplaces and a great deal of atmosphere. There are modern rooms built onto the back, which are very nice and clean, but more like your average motel. What is so fantastic about the Queen's Head, besides the atmospheric pub, is the food. The owner is the chef and it is obvious he loves to cook. We had dinner and breakfast and both were superb.

We ordered an appetizer and main course for dinner. The appetizer was so large it could have served as dinner. It was labeled as Fish 'something'. Don't remember the name, unfortunately. I was expecting something like fish cakes. But what showed up was more like a fish crepe with the most delicious sauce I have ever tasted. We knew we'd be too full for the main course, but couldn't stop eating. The main course was also delicious with another great sauce. I had the Medallions of Beef.

I have a problem with the way they cook, or should I say, under cook, scrambled eggs in Britain, and usually ask if they could cook them a little dryer. But in this case I refrained from any comment and they were fantastic. So tasty. Some other reviewer labeled their review "Lucky to live near here!" I envy them. I'd be there all the time, but then I wouldn't be able to get through the door.

Besides being an excellent cook, the owner is very nice, as was the other employee who served us our drinks prior to dinner. Very friendly and helpful.

And although the motel part of the establishment is a little bland after the pub itself, it is certainly very nice and clean, and large. There were actually two bedrooms in my unit. Plus there is a lovely view out the back.

I heartily recommend the Queen's Head.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mhmac
Also consider these accommodations in or near Finghall
The Wheatsheaf in Wensleydale
#5 of 8 in Middleham
The Three Coopers
The Three Coopers
#3 of 14 in Bedale

Been to Queens Head? Share your experiences!