I just returned from my honeymoon and visited the Intercontinental Resort & Spa Moorea and Intercontinental Le Moana Bora Bora.
I will be posting on the Moorea location in this listing.
The staff was absolutely fantastic. They were always kind and welcoming. My wife and I loved the pools which were a nice break from swimming around the lagoon. There were a lot of sea cucumbers in the lagoon which were not very enticing.
Kayaking around the area was fun and it was easy to navigate in the area. The water was calm within the lagoon, making kayaking fun. The sun was quite hot (average temp. is around 83 degrees so bring a lot of sunblock).
The dolphin center was a fun excursion to learn about and swim with (and touch) 3 resident dolphins which was such and awesome experience. I couldn't use my underwater camera because they had their own cameraman filming, but they do include a picture of you with the price of the excursion. They take many other pictures you can choose from for about 1600cfp each (pretty pricey in my opinion and they aren't in a standard 4x6 or 8x10 format.. It may be A4 size or something similar since its French Polynesia).
Another excursion, swimming and feeding stingrays and black-tip sharks was exciting and scary all at once. Luckily, the sharks are curious, but if you swim towards them, they take that as an aggressive position and they swim away from you (thankfully). The stingrays are huge! There were about 25 stingrays, and 20 black-tip sharks swimming in the area. You are in chest-deep water, but a steep dropoff to 20-30ft is nearby. Our guide allowed us to pet the sting-rays who are happy to come and check you out. Such a greeat experience! One of the most memorable moments of my life! Afterwards, we were brought to a motu for a picnic (and Hinanu beer) and swam around a reef with a lot more tropical fish, which was fantastic.
Back to the hotel... we had delicious buffet breakfast daily and loved some of the dinners (especially the large buffet with seating on the beach and the Polynesian dances). The food was absolutely amazing. There were foods from different areas of the world. My favorite were all the different fresh raw seafood, and poisson cru (cross between coleslaw and ceviche... aka AMAZING) was so delicious.
We were told the land excursions were amazing in Moorea (we didn't partake in any), but the water excursions in Bora Bora were better... We did water excursions in both, Bora Bora and Moorea and they were both fantastic!
The concierges were very helpful pointing out some great places to eat in the area. The Mayflower was perfect and one of the best meals we've had. My 2nd favorite was the dinner buffet on the beach at the hotel with all the different styles of food.
The negatives... There weren't many. The prices at the pool bar could have been better, but a couple days out of our 5 night stay, we walked about 10 minutes down the road to a small grocery store where you could pick up Tahiti drink for 1200cfp, 6-pack of 16oz Hinanu for 1300cfp, chips, wine, etc all fairly affordable in comparison to some of the prices at the restaurant in the hotel. We used our mini-bar to house all the cold items we purchased at the grocery store and then restocked the mini-bar before we checked out.
We were able to use the facilities after our check-out before our flight to Bora Bora and shower/change before our departure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa is nestled between mountains and a lagoon on a stunning French Polynesian island. Right on the resort grounds is Moorea's widest range of activities, which includes the Moorea Dolphin Center, Bathys Diving Club, tennis, kayaking, canoeing, skiing and Jeep tours. The Arahurahu Marae temple is also worth a visit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Odigeo, Hotels.com, IHG and Agoda so you can book your InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Resort And Spa Moorea
- Intercontinental Resort & Spa Moorea Hotel Moorea
- Intercontinental Hotel Moorea
- InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa French Polynesia