“Unpleasant staff in overpriced hotel”

InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Papetoai
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed in this hotel overnight in July and glad is was not longer. The room was not unpleasant as it had recently been renovated, however it was small and was accessed through a dark and rundown hallway. The reception staff were unpleasant and entirely lacking in the decorum one would expect in an expensive 5 star hotel. They looked untidy and messy and their interaction with guests was invariably rude and disrespectful. They behaved as if they were the volunteer staff at a school tuck shop only less helpful. The huge baggage attendant refused to handle our baggage once we had checked out, even to help us put it in the car. He seemed to resent having to do anything at all. To be fair the person who helped us with out bags on arrival was agreeable and kind. The whole feeling of this place is unpleasant. It is almost as if the staff are sneering. Do not go there.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor with balconies have an attractive view of the pools and beach.
1  Thank GANDK715
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear guests,

We are terribly sorry to read that you had such a negative impression of our property. Your description is quite the opposite of the comments we receive regarding our staff and, whilst efforts and improvements will always be needed, I think 'rude' and 'resentful' are far from reflecting our employees attitude.

Short stays can often be disappointing as mis-interpretations are left no time to be changed or understood. For instance, I have already seen the genuine happiness and giggling of the Polynesian staff been interpreted as 'sneekering', but be understood for what it is after few days of talking and immersing with the local population.

It is easy to jump to conclusions, especially of a foreign and very different culture, and we hope you will decide to return to discover how truly friendly, generous and genuine the Polynesian population, and our staff, can be.

Sincerely

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed there on our first trip to the Tahitian Islands. The staff was great, super friendly, and always made us feel like welcome guest! We stayed in a bungalow that hung out over the water where we could snorkel right off our balcony. The area around the resort had amazing fish to see with very little effort. In fact, we had a reef shark swim by about every 15 minutes that we could see without getting into the water. The resort hand many excursions that left right from their beach, so the daily need for a car was not necessary, but if you did desire to rent a car, that could be done from the hotel lobby. The resort also offered the opportunity to swim with a dolphin. It was an incredible experience, but pricey. As for food, it was good, but expensive. We would definitely go back to this property!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael O
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Ia Orana from Moorea!

First of all, thank you for your visit and your wonderful comments.
I have posted them in every department and everyone was very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that their efforts made a real difference.

Hopefully see you again one day!

Best sunny regards,

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We just returned from an awesome honeymoon of which we spent the first five nights at the Intercontinental Resort and Spa in Moorea. Our time here was perfect! The resort is very big, but well maintained and beautiful. Daily American breakfast was included in our package. There were pancakes, crepes, fruit, pastries, omelet station, bacon, sausage, cheeses, cereal, etc- plenty to choose from. The view from breakfast was amazing- every morning we would eat overlooking the pool and the water. I would recommend working breakfast into your package, as it is very expensive to pay there. (Who knows what we paid in advance, but at least it was already paid for!) Since breakfast was so big, we usually didn't need to eat lunch. However, we did have a goat cheese and potato pizza at the pool bar one day and it was very good. Dinners we mostly ate off the resort, all of which we arranged with the concierge. Most restaurants provide free transportation if you have a group of four. We just asked the concierge to make our dinner at a time when another couple was going, and it worked out well every time. We ate at the Mayflower and Les Tipaniers- both of which were pretty good. The two dinners that we did eat at the resort were in the restaurant below where you eat breakfast- this dinner was very good. My husband ordered an Asian dish which was outstanding and I had a Mahi Mahi burger which was also very good. We also did the resort's beach bar-be-que. This included a buffet on the beach, which really was just a standard buffet- not a bar-be-que, and traditional dancing and a fire show. Although it was OK, we would not recommend it- it was about $100 per person and definitely wasn't worth the money.

Our bungalow was partially over water and was awesome! We loved the deck and being able to jump right into the water. The room was always cleaned well and there was plenty of space. There are only two English channels, but who goes to Moorea to watch TV? Overall, we had a wonderful time and would highly recommend the resort.

One last tip- the ATV tour with Albert was outstanding! You get to see the inner island and some beautiful views of the mountains- a completely different experience than what you get on the beach at the resort.

2  Thank Tsmoke2
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Ia Orana from Moorea!

Thank you for your lovely comments.
I am thrilled to see that you have taken back with you some wonderful memories.

Thanking you again for your stay with us and your recommendation, I hope to see you on your next trip.

Best sunny regards,

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our disappointment started upon arrival at the foot of the stairs to the lobby, with a lot of luggage, and not a bellman in sight for 5 minutes. We hauled it up the lobby, and things got better. As with the title, the building architecture is beautiful as is the setting, but the atmosphere still ends up being "generic luxury"- perhaps that is what should be expected.

The small beaches are very nice, the 2 pools also. We were in the main building- nice room and view (and a complementary upgrade from "garden-view" to ocean-view- beautiful sunsets. Again- nothing really bad to say- it just felt generic and a sharp contract to the Intercon on Tahiti.

Room Tip: Bungalows seem to be on man-made lagoons or canals- not the island lagoon. They looked very nice...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alfred V
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your visit and feedback.

Your comments are somewhat puzzling as 'generic' is the last word I would use to describe our resort. The property has evolved over 29 years in line with this truly genuine island, our staff have, for many, been with us for years and 'autheticity' is a term often used by guests to describe their experience. As a matter of fact, Islands Magazines' July 2013 edition voted us Best Bungalows in French Polynesia as "Nothing is Fake" and for our natural emphasis on marine life and local connections within the resort.

All our guests are escorted to their rooms by a porter service and indeed, when there are many arrivals all at once, there may be a momentary accumulation of luggage in the lobby and a short wait whilst everyone is escorted across our 11-hectare property.

Thank you once again for your time.

Sincerely

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Ok before I get into reviewing the resort and Island let me direct my fury at anyone squawking about bad service. First off when you walk out of your house with a nasty attitude then the treatment you get is actually a mirror image of you! Don't get me wrong, there are sub par resorts out there with bad service but this isn't one of them. The beautiful Tahitian and the French service people work hard night and day and put up with some of the most heinous people on this planet..Americans. You are not entitled to anything beyond what you paid for. I sat there and listened to some fool continually ask an employee for sour cream then complained about it not being there. Really! All this beauty and your entitlement stinks up the place for everyone around. We heard an American say "hey get me some more coffee", really! this is how you speak to someone! You people need to get over yourselves, you're not special regardless of what your mom told you. You need to respect other people, respect their culture, learn how to say Iaorana! Ask someone to help you say it, learn how to say Mauruuru! If you have a stink attitude then you deserve every bad thing that happens to you.

Ok moving on. Service...every single person said Iaorana to us for the entire 7 days we were there anytime we passed them. There was always a welcome and a smile. We were greeted warmly on arrival with drinks, warmly at the activities desk, warmly at the Avis desk, at breakfast, dinner and check in desk. What more can you ask for. No matter how many times we went to any one of these places a warm greeting was there for us.

Resort...Stunning, I read people complaining about this and that, especially the walk to the main area. I was in bungalow 509 and the walk is not as bad as these people are crying about. It was the most pleasant stroll we took every morning for breakfast. Take a piece of bread with you and feed the fish when you're over the bridge, that never got old. Look off into the distance at the mountain scape, which really never got old. Go visit the dolphin center and turtle sanctuary. There is one sea turtle in there that looks dead, apparently it is not dead so don't go to services about it lol. They said I was the 1000th person to say it.

Room...Our over the water 509 was clean, well lit, well designed. Intricate woven walls, nice art pieces, great wooden floors. I also requested a real queen bed which was in the room as well. I'm 6'5 so the low arching roofs on the deck proved to be a challenge to me the first day or so. I did request a completely over the water bungalow but got the half over the water. At first I was upset since I requested it months in advance and I'm a Ambassador member, so I thought I was "entitled" to get a completely over the water...well it turned out that 509 in my opinion was the best over the water. It was the last in the line of bungalows that surround what I called private lagoon. It's out of the boat lane which people talked about and you could feel confident nothing larger than an octopus would be swimming with you lol. Jumping into the sea at 7 in the morning every morning was absolute heaven!

Food...Ok posters got this one right, definitely expensive especially the BBQ but as long as the money helped the performers I'm ok with that. I would suggest you get breakfast included which can add up if you don't. The food was good but I wouldn't write any books on it. Also posters got it right about Snack Mahana...Poisson Cru was to die for. Be careful on Saturday, they close early. We got there at 2:30 and they were shutting down :-( huge disappointment.

Tours...Posters got it right on this one, I personally would use the Albert tours across the street. They were very friendly and the prices were better. We did the ATV tour, pray you get Louis, who was awesome and we did the Jet ski sting ray shark tour which was awesome. If you want to save money you could literally take a kayak out to where the rays and sharks are. We tried but I wasn't so good in the kayak, was literally going around in circles.

Island...If I had it to do over again I would have rented a car sooner. We like to connect with the locals and get out of the comfort zone a bit. We rented a car for 6 hours and drove around the island. It was absolutely beautiful. The people on the island are so friendly, one guy shook my hand at the convenience store for some reason lol. We tried renting a scooter but it did a number on my wifes back, the roads are horrible for small scooters. As a single rider I was okay and dealt with the bad conditions. Make sure you stop over at the beaches, very nice. There were a few mosquitos but for the most part Moorea seems devoid of bugs. Try coming to upstate NY and there will be a bug crawling on you in seconds.

Travel..Don't get taken like we did, maximize your time in Moorea the best you can. The Ambassador card allows for late checkout but liberty travel had us on a 1pm 15 minute flight to Papeete. I say rent a car in Papeete, take the ferry then ferry back with the rented car when it's time to leave. I think most if not all LA flights leave at 12 midnight so there's plenty of time to enjoy your last hours if you use the ferry.

Overall intercontinental made our honeymoon the most fantastical most beautimus trip we've ever taken. I'm taking a star only because at check in they didn't honor my Ambassador room upgrade. We prepaid with Liberty travel but at check in it wasn't addressed properly even as we told the host that we should get an upgrade. I was not upset by no means and I think the greeter or check in person should go to the computer and make sure the quest has the proper services they paid for (we were not checked in at the counter but in the lobby). We paid for the bungalow via Liberty travel but were told we paid for the Lana room and the bungalow was the upgrade. Ok I can deal with that however we should have had money returned to us as a result. Or an upgrade above bungalow which I'm not sure exists. When we brought this up at check out it was kind of like oh sorry and that's it. Still we had the time of our lives and we would go back to ICM every time. When we visited the other resorts we definitely felt ICM was better with a better layout and services.

You can't go wrong at ICM..and Americans keep your nasty attitude in America.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms slighty inside the completely over the water like 509. They get a private lagoon ab...
6  Thank nktwrk
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Ia Orana & greetings from Moorea

MAURUURU ROA, I am flattered! What a wonderful comment, there is nothing to add as everything has been said. Thank you!

Your message will encourage us to continue to further improve. Sometimes it can indeed be challenging, but we always try to take care of everyone as best we can. Regardless of the problem, we will continue to provide the best service to our guests.

You are very kind to share such a detailed feedback of your stay and it is exactly this kind of comment that helps us go further. Thank you.

I am sure that your message will be very appreciate and very helpful for future visitors of Moorea. Rest assured that I will pass it along to my staff, who will be very happy and proud.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back... maybe for a wedding anniversary!

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any further assistance. It will be a pleasure!

Mauruuru maitai and Nana !

Kindly Sunny Regards,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Fantastic hotel with great clean facilities. Staff is very accommodating and there to help or advise you for all your needs. However, when my relative chocked on a pill and when my attempts to dislodge the pill failed the hotel was slow to respond (3 am) and could not find their oxygen apparatus and the medics came after long 35 minutes wait gave me a chilled reminder, it is not California, people can lose their lives because of lack of resources.
Be careful help is not readily available.

Room Tip: Bungalows on the lagoon # 402 and 404 fantastic location.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jacobe,
Ia Orana from Moorea !

Thank you for your message! I will personally pass your comment to all of my team.

Regarding our intervention, rest assured that we undertake countless efforts to maintain a high level of service, however the high season unavoidably brings its challenges. Rest assured that we take our guests safety and health very seriously.

Once again please accept, our sincere apologies for the frustration caused by these misunderstandings.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in Moorea.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have to start by first recognizing the outstanding service of Wilny at the front desk. We had a problem with our reservation through no fault of the resort. (you can imagine not showing a reservation after long flights ,getting in late,staying at the hotel across from the airport in Papeete ,cab and ferry ride, and then a $45 cab ride to the resort! ) Instead of making us stand around and having us take care of it first, she immediately ushered us over to the bar for our cool towels and welcome cocktail while she made some phone calls and took care of everything. For piece of mind she even let me access the internet to make sure the booking agency had not charged us for the room. The next day she even called our room to check on us and the outcome with the booking agency. Thank you Wilny for everything! You are a gem!

Now for the room. We stayed in room 162 which we liked very much. You walked in and it smelled so good and had beautiful music playing from the tv. We liked the location as we could walk right out the sliding door a few steps to the pool and a few more to the beach. Room was very clean and comfortable.

The food was ok. We had the buffet on the beach for dinner. They had a nice selection and we were prepared for the prices. However, for breakfast my husband ordered the express a la carte and you should have seen his face when the plate was set down in front of him. Two little pastries and juice for that price was something we had a problem with. ( The Hilton gave us bigger portions on the a la carte. )

We loved being able to walk to the Dolphin Center and the Turtle Center. The lagoon was wonderful for seeing sea life. We even saw our first in the wild octopus which we found very cool watching swimming around and changing colors.

The drinks were also very good but expensive if you don't go at happy hour. We received wonderful service by the pool at happy hour from the gentlemen serving.

Kudos again to Wilny and the consistent friendly and wonderful service from the rest of the staff. If we make it back we will definitely stay here again.

Ia Orana from Moorea!

What a MARVELOUS comment ! Thank you very much for taking time to write us few lines about your stay in our little piece of paradise.

Be assured that Wilnie will receive your message. She will be very proud of herself, like I am.
It’s very encouraging to see that my team was able to make your holidays with us outstanding. Thank you again!

I will not fail to get your message to all of my staff, and precisely to the F&B department.

Hoping to welcome you once again in Moorea,

Warm Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Papetoai
Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea
Club Bali Hai Moorea Hotel
Hotel Kaveka
Hotel Kaveka
#4 of 4 in Maharepa

Been to InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!