3,821 results
All reviews crepe bar crepes overwater bungalow fish our honeymoon french polynesia plunge pool sharks swim paddle boats breakfast buffet arii vahine lilikoi panoramic view main restaurant lower deck atv tour happy hour
Reviewed May 6, 2015 via mobile

I have stayed at many Hiltons and used to be a Hilton Diamond. I was so excited about this trip to beautiful Moorea, but the sad reality was the resort requires improvement to meet basic expectations. Like other guests have mentioned, there are a few minor changes that could be made to greatly improve the experience. Here were the basics where they missed the mark:

1. At check in, the only part of the reservation that was right was my name. They had information for a couple living in Spain. We live in the US. Disappointing that the welcome process was tarnished by this mistake, which took longer than I thought it would to resolve. When we finally got to our room, there were some wash cloths with flowers on them. I guess nobody checked the inside of the flowers to see the 100 or more ants that ended up crawling all over the towels and the counters in the bathroom. Yuck!

2. They say they have free wi-fi in the lounge. After several attempts trying to log on, we found the router. If you stand within a few feet of the router, it might work. Disappointing that free wi-fi was so spotty and inconsistent that We could not rely on it. Also, if you try to pay for wi-fi in your room and you did not bring a converter, the only switch that supports the router is also the only one that works to charge a device, so you can't use the web and charge that device.

3. On a positive note, the crepes are really amazing and we loved them. The chef there was super wonderful and accommodating to special requests. However, they have three white wines on the menu. I selected one and they didn't have it. I selected another and they didn't have it, so I was left with the third option that I didn't really want. If the wine is on the menu, I would expect that you would have at least 2 of 3 in stock, especially since this is supposedly a 5 star resort.

4. The restaurant hours are strict. If you are hungry because you flew thousands of miles to get to the resort and you want to eat dinner at 5pm, forget it! Wait until 6:30 when the restaurants open. We noticed a lot of other guests being shuffled into the happy hour bar where their 2 for 1 rum drink special applies. The bar is so incredibly understaffed and rum drinks are very slow to make to begin with. It is almost cruel that the 1 bartender had to make all of these drinks for guests that may have preferred eating. Why can't one of the restaurants open earlier? Most guests are on a time change.

5. We wanted to take advantage of the incredibly beautiful setting and wanted to use stand up paddleboards. To echo comments of others, the pool guy has way too many responsibilities. Hire another person or two! The poor guy drug two paddleboards all the way down to the beach only to then discover that one paddle was missing and one of the boards didn't have a leash. Somebody should maintain the equipment and judging from the 5 jobs Pool Guy has, it isn't fair to ask him to do this too. We couldn't go paddle boarding, so we went kayaking. It was still super gorgeous and lovely to be in such a magical place, just sad for the Pool Guy (who seemed very nice, but quite stressed and overwhelmed by also having to speak English - not his fault).

6. We had a garden bungalow with a plunge pool. Along the theme of maintenance, fix the tiles! The majority of the tiles on the first stair were missing. We didn't end up going on because it appeared to be in disrepair.

7. We used the air conditioner at night. On multiple occasions, the air conditioner made noises so loud that it woke us up. I have no idea what was wrong with it, but again, maintenance was needed. We turned it off and used the fan. We would have preferred the AC.

I am so sad for the Hilton Moorea. Please hire more people so your staff is not so overwhelmed that they are not able to meet the needs of the guests. Please hire somebody that oversees general maintenance and make a few investments to get back to average. Please open a restaurant for dinner at 5pm so that we are not irritable guests when 6:30 finally rolls around.

I really hope improvements can be made because the physical location of the resort is just wonderful and there is so much potential for Hilton to make more money by marketing activities a little better.

Stayed: May 2015, traveled as a couple
10  Thank kimmiechong3151
kpeyras, Directeur général at Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2015

Dear Guests,
I thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us, appreciated in order to share those for corrective actions.
I am sorry to read on your disappointment but I hope you will restore your faith in us by choosing to come back to the Hilton Family.
Again we thank you for choosing the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa.

Reviewed May 2, 2015

Wonderful hotel. Nice to have someone to take you through all that is available and explain everything. Facilities and hotel rooms like new. We had a garden Bungalow with plunge pool.
Beach excellent. Reef snorkeling excellent. Equipment excellent. (snorkel gear, canoes etc).
Staff excellent. Food was excellent. Wednesdays and Saturdays something special on like dancing and buffet, which was was massive!
Over water bungalows had water access which is essential.
Crepes with the sharks swimming underneath the dinning area a must.
Free WiFi public area...a must nowadays.
Overall excellent. Only one minor point to fault and that was the plunge pool had a ripped bottom and some tiles loose.
Had a wonderful time...well done the Hilton.

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
1  Thank Dunk893

Dear Guests,
I am very pleased to read your nice words on your recent stay with us.
I do appreciate your comments and will share those with the team.
We thank you again for choosing the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa for your holidays in French Polynesia.

Reviewed May 2, 2015 via mobile

We are only 3 days In to our honeymoon here and already have been talking about other holidays we could have gone on rather than spending so much to come here.

We booked a garden pool bungalow for 10 nights way in advance and off the basis that this hotel was rated #1 on Trip Advisor for Moorea. In all My travels I have relied on trip advisor and it's always been accurate- except this time, and it's pretty disappointing when you get it wrong on your honeymoon.

After looking forward to this trip for months, we arrived and were pretty disappointed overall. I have stayed at resorts which aren't even #1 on other Islands such as Bali and Maui, and this is by far the worst one.
Note that on all my reviews on trip advisor I have not once felt compelled to give a negative review, but we are so disappointed overall with this place that I felt I must give feedback so other couples do not fall in to the same trap.

I notice another recent review by honeymooners said very similar things to what we are thinking - as they said, when you pay this much money for a hotel you expect it to live up to the standard of the best of the island; otherwise next time you would just pay the extra and go stay at four seasons or st Regis on bora bora where you actually know what you will get.

They also said (and we had exactly the same experience) that it was disappointing there was no recognition on arrival of us being on honeymoon, despite this clearly being noted in all the paperwork. Our travel agent made sure to advise the hotel of this when booking for us. It took us asking them about this and then they did then give us a bottle of champagne, but it certainly wasn't the arrival we were expecting.

This hotel is definitely not a 5 star hotel as it proclaims.
- it is severely understaffed. The same guy at the towel shed by the pool is also running around delivering food and drinks that people have ordered at the bar. At the Eimeo bar, during happy hour yesterday when the bar is full, one lady was making all the drinks, while there was one lady running around serving all the tables indoors and outdoors. We had to wait at least 10 minutes just to see a menu.
- service is poor- as a result of the understaffing and just the general lack of service culture. Several examples of this are we had to ask Three times on our first day here for a beach towel so we could swim. The man told us to sit on chairs and said he would bring us some but he didn't. We waited over an hour. So on the 3rd time I stood for 20 minutes at the counter just waiting, because if I didn't take matters into my own hands I don't know when we would be served. I was furious. Not really a nice start to the first day of our honeymoon and DEFINITELY not 5 star service. It seems this is not the staff members fault as the whole pool area had only ONE staff member,
But this should not be the problem of guests.
When we had dinner last night at the new tapas bar, we were seated right in the corner even though there were other free tables available and it was later in the night. We waited an hour for our first tapas dish to come out, despite half the restaurant being empty and nearly all the tables finished eating at this point, so I don't know what took so long. When we finally got the 2 prawns in our first tapas dish they were cold. Very substandard service.
- no poolside service - this isn't something that makes or breaks a stay, but at other 5 star hotels I have stayed at (actually even 4 star) they have dedicated service at the pool where they bring you menus, take your orders and bring you food and drinks. At this resort, you have to self serve yourself by ordering at the restaurant, and then the one poor staff member running the whole pool area will come bring it to you. It's just really not the service level you get with a purported 5 star resort.
- once you are unhappy with the place you start to notice the little things you would ordinarily not notice.
Like the weeds around the pool area reflecting the resort is not really maintained like a true 5 star resort.
And the linen- our room towels are so thin and worn, not what you usually get at a 5 star hotel where you expect nice plush towels? Honestly my towels at home are way better. And we have stayed at the Hilton in Sydney twice and it did NOT have linen like that.
- apart from that I agree with all the general comments by other guests, particularly how the food is so over priced and very average. We spent around $75 last night on 4 tapas, a bottle of water and a coke and walked away hungry. The breakfast is average and nothing special compared to the other resorts we have stayed at and the other Hilton hotel we have visited (Sydney).
the exception to this is the crepe restaurant which had delicious food and wonderful service.

Overall we are very disappointed and don't know how this resort is rated #1 on the island. It is not worth the premium on other hotels on the island. I definitely would not recommend staying here.

Stayed: May 2015, traveled as a couple
17  Thank amd_05

Dear Guests,
I am really sorry to read your stay ended up as a disappointment, and I have taken good notes of your comments.
I will address those issues you mentioned personally to the persons concerned and please accept our apologies, hoping you will restore your faith in us.

Reviewed April 29, 2015

Love Moorea. Laid back - lots of sun clear turquoise water, warm sand, excellent diving with lemon sharks, turtles and giant morays thanks to Top Dive, and the snorkeling from the OWB was unreal. We enlisted Custom Tahiti Tours for a second time and they left nothing to chance. The trip went like clockwork. We stayed at the Hilton and in our opinion; this is the best resort on Moorea. The OWBs are over the top for comfort and access to the "silent colorful world" below. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. Room service even went to the trouble to track us down when we were away from the bungalow watching the beautiful stars to include the Southern Cross. Another example of “above and beyond” was when the tap water was shut off for about an hour. To make up for the inconvenience, they brought all those guests a bottle of Champagne. Special thanks to Hilton’s Dinah - she is a master at making your wishes come true. We even received an anniversary gift of chilled white wine from Custom Tahiti which was very much appreciated and went down exceedingly well. Here is the routine: Eat, sleep, dive or snorkel, lay in the sun (don’t forget 50+ sunblock!), swim and repeat for seven days. Could do it for another 7 days! Doesn’t get any better than that!

2  Thank JeffS30226
kpeyras, General Manager at Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2015

Dear Guests,
I appreciate your feedbacks and I thank you for sharing, I am glad to read that you have enjoyed every moment of your stay with us.
I will pass on your review to the team and especially to Dinah.
The team and I thank you again for choosing the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa, hoping to welcome you back one day in our hidden paradise.

Reviewed April 26, 2015

We have just returned from 3 nights at the Hillton Moorea after spending 3 nights in Bora Bora. We deliberately chose to stay in a garden bungalow with plunge pool in Moorea knowing that the lagoon here simply doesn't compare with the beauty of the lagoon at Bora Bora.
The resort itself is nicely laid out and the grounds beautifully maintained.
Our villa was comfortable enough but could have been so much more so with very little effort on the part of management.
For a start this resort does not provide free wifi in the villas. To get free wifi you have to go to the restaurant or bar which in this day and age I find to be unacceptable.
We were looking forward to making good use of our plunge pool but half of the tiles were missing from the bottom of the pool which didn't make it very inviting or comfortable to stand in. This damage has not occurred overnight and should have been fixed. Also the loungers beside the pool lacked squabs and were uncomfortable to lie on.
The room has a well stocked mini bar, including champagne, but no glassware other than a couple of drinking glasses in the bathroom.I asked housekeeping about this and they simply said to ring room service if you wanted extra glasses. If you have to do that you may as well order your drinks through room service as well.
The resort provides a concierge and activities desk in the lobby. We wanted to hire a vehicle for the day so we could explore the island and we found the woman on the activities desk very helpful and efficient. However, the lobby lacks a brochure stand or anything to suggest activities that are on offer so you really need to do your research ahead of time and know what activities you want to do.
We ate on-site each night and were very impressed with the standard of meals, especially the crepes at the creperie on the pontoon, which were simply delicious. They were so nice in fact that we had to go back twice.
Overall we found the resort to be very nice but could be so much better with very little effort, just a little more attention to detail and free wifi in the rooms.
Would we return, probably not. We found Moorea to be too similar to Rarotonga to justify the extra expense.

6  Thank stlgr7

Dear Guests,
I would like to thank you for sharing your comments, I understand the points mentioned and I will make sure those are looked into. Still I am glad to read that your stay was enjoyable.
We thank you again for choosing the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa for your stay in French Polynesia.