“Only stay here if you absolutely have to”
Review of 747 Motel

747 Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kilbirnie
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This motel is old and shabby - badly in need of bringing up to date.
Tried to check in early and were told we could - but then the room was not ready when we arrived.
Asked for an iron - was presented with an ancient iron with a dirty sole plate and an ironing board that collapsed and could not be made to stay up.
The double bed was pushed hard against a wall, which made it difficult for the person near the wall to get in and out.
The walls are not noise proof.
All facilities basic - the table might have been re-made from a rubbish collection.
HOWEVER - the one saving grace - comfortable bed and clean sheets (horrible smelly towels and tea-towels though). And it's close to bus route, shops, airport, so you can leave it for the day.
Wi-fi exists but impossibly slow.
Don't know how it got a star rating! (Not all that cheap, either.)

Room Tip: I don't think there is such a thing at this motel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here for one night before an early flight. I was not expecting much as the price was low but it was worse. As another reviewer mentioned there was mildew everywhere in the bathroom. It was noisy and I did not sleep a wink as I didn't really feel safe there.
The owners were lovely I will say that but for me I could not stay here again. Apparently there are refurbished rooms but the one we were in was not and it was just depressing.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Mildew on the ceiling in the bathroom in # 6. I would have gone somewhere else, except...

I booked this place to stay during the 2013 Sevens! By the time I realized my mistake it was too late to find another hotel.
I based my decision on their pictures (MISTAKE!). I was foolish and got cheap at the end of my tour. The room appeared to be ok at first, the bed was hard, but that I can tolerate. Puddle on the floor in the kitchenette-- someone turned off the refrigerator. Whatever, I can deal with that. Noisy without A/C-- My bad, I should have checked on that.

Get some bleach and a rag, and clean that nasty stuff up! Some mildew resistant primer and paint! You made enough on just my stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the room that doesn't have huge nasty mildew stains on the bathroom ceiling.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Rudolfo699
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were six in number looking for a good priced motel in Wellington...very hard to find.
Basic facilities, clean and close to bus stop into town, extremely friendly and helpful owners. A very good option for families, but if you want a relaxing pampering holiday this is not the motel

Room Tip: The rooms are much the same
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2012

My girlfriend and I had a fantastic stay at 747 Motel. The room was recently renovated and modern, clean and had everything required for a short stay. We stayed initially for 3 nights, and enjoyed it enough to stay the extra night while we looked for long term accommodation in Wellington as we had just moved here (Johnny was extremely nice to offer us the extra night stay for the same rate as the previous nights when we inquired)

It's close to the airport, and Kilbirnie has everything you need - a very nice small town. The bus stops are right outside the motel and it is no more than 15 minutes to get in to Courtenay Place.

Jonny was extremely friendly and helpful and we would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at 747. Johnny and Summer are very helpful. The location is great. The new kitchens and bathrooms are very nice. Buses are very handy to motel 747 and the Kilbirnie shopping centre is also very close. The Tvs were very modern.
During my stay I was also able to enjoy many beautiful walks around by Greta Point and Evans Bay which were close by.

747 is also very close to the airport.

Thank you both and best wishes for the remainder of 2012.

Sandra

Room Tip: I found he rooms I stayed in were all very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sandra W
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed one night in this motel. Easy parking, close to shopping centre and bus stop makes this a great location. Good value for money, our room was clean and comfortable. However we were on the ground floor in the unit adjacent to the stairs leading to the upper level and were were woken up by people going up those stairs. Otherwise the motel is in a quiet location.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor unit adjacent to the stairway to the upper level.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilbirnie
The Cambridge Hotel
#38 of 47 in Wellington
Airport Motor Lodge
Airport Motor Lodge
#20 of 47 in Wellington

Been to 747 Motel? Share your experiences!