“Great place, helpful people”
Review of Brentwood Hotel

Brentwood Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kilbirnie
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Thanks BRENTWOOD hotel for making our meeting run smoothly. Except for Wednesday, all staff was very welcoming and helpful. On our last day we got pushed out of our conference room at about 4 pm?!?
Anyway food was lovely, staff was very friendly. I recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
BrentwoodManager, General Manager at Brentwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear lisa_glenfield – thank you for submitting a review of your recent conference stay at the Brentwood Hotel. We appreciate your favourable comments regarding the friendly helpful service you received and that you enjoyed the food. We have reminded our staff to allow guests time to pack up in conference rooms before they commence clearing. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to hosting you again the next time you travel to Wellington.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

My one-night stay here was unscheduled, as I was obliged to leave the hotel in central Wellington that I had been staying in at minimal notice. The food was great, and room service was a lot cheaper than it was at the Rydges Hotel, Also, it was a lot more convenient for my flight home to the UK, as I was due to fly within 12 hours of arrival. The thing that really impressed me, though,apart fro the hotel staff was its computer facilities which were outstanding. Whereas the Rydges only had an iPad which had to be shared with the other guests, this hotel had four or five terminals with conventional keyboards. I am not keen on touch-screen devices as I have poor manual dexterity, and this made me feel a lot better. Not to put too fine a point on it, I would not have expected such good computer facilities in an independent hotel. If I come to Wellington, again, I shall make a point of staying at the Brentwood Hotel. I stayed here 14 months ago, but came across a receipt when having a clearout of old papers in the last few days!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
BrentwoodManager, General Manager at Brentwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear HughO1962 - thank you for submitting your review of your stay at the Brentwood Hotel from last July. I am pleased that by coming across your receipt from your stay, this prompted you to post a review. Certainly our location is very convenient for the airport which was beneficial to you on that occasion. I was interested to read your comments regarding the computer facilities. We have one guest computer available in our foyer area so I suspect that on this occasion one of the staff has arranged for you to use one of the office PCs. I appreciate you taking time to comment after many months and we look forward to hosting you again should you return to our capital city.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

The facilities are a little dated, but the rooms are spacious and clean. The staff was excellent and always met me with a smiling face, even when I had to be shuttled to the airport at 4am! The location is great for quick stopovers.

Room Tip: If you need to be picked up by their shuttle, let the front desk know what time your flight lands be...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank ReineS

Dear ReineS - thank you for submitting your favourable comments and review of the Brentwood Hotel. I am pleased that you found the staff to be helpful and that our location was ideal for your stopover. I trust that we will have the opportunity to host you again the next time you travel through Wellington.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

If your after a quick stopover with a free airport shuttle and 24 hr reception, this may be your place to stay.
We had to wait about 25 minutes for the bus, after having advised in advance of our arrival time, not the end of the world, but at 12.30 a.m, perhaps a little disappointing.
The room was fine, without being exceptional, it was certainly large.
The breakfast was adequate, although somewhat confusing with the upsell from a continental to a full cooked being a 2 dollar difference, which is really all that needs to be said.
Our return to the airport was more successful, so all in all our stay was o.k.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michael l
BrentwoodManager, General Manager at Brentwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear michael l – thank you for submitting a review of your recent stopover with the Brentwood Hotel. I can understand you were disappointed in having to wait for the shuttle upon your arrival. As rule we are unable to pre-arrange pick up from the airport as our drivers are unable to wait at the airport due to the pick-up/drop arrangement in place and the fact that flights can be delayed. Our instructions for guests arriving into Wellington is to call the hotel from the free phone in arrivals once they have landed. The shuttle is then sent out to the airport. I apologise if this information wasn't communicated to you prior to your arrival. Thank you for your feedback regarding the explanation of the breakfast pricing and I will ensure that the restaurant staff communicate this accordingly. Once again thank you for your comments and I trust that we will have the opportunity to host you again the next time you travel through Wellington.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

This is a single level convention hotel very close to Wellington airport. It is a rambling place with accommodation wings going in various directions. The corridors have variously old worn carpets or vinyl and are pretty uneven in places. The room I had was 1960's style. The heater was ancient and gave off a tiny amount of heat. The paint was peeling in various places, but nonetheless everything was spotlessly clean. There is a swimming pool that might be inviting in Summer - but has no shelter or aesthetic charm - it is simply a pool in the ground surrounded by a bit of a lawn and a utilitarian regulation fence. The restaurant is very expensive for the quality of what's on offer. Because there is nothing else in the neighborhood (in fact there is nothing else in the neighborhood) there is no competition and management can rack up the prices accordingly. I had a very stodgy and obviously reheated from frozen vegetarian samosa served with a tiny dish of raita and an equally tiny amount of boiled red dhal. The location is okay for the airport only - otherwise this area is very uninspiring with suburban homes and a nearby school. There is a huge missed opportunity for someone to construct a hotel right at the Wellington airport with modern conference facilities.

Room Tip: Passable only if you must be near the airport.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
BrentwoodManager, General Manager at Brentwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear AbhayHamilton - thank you for submitting your comments and review of your recent stay with the Brentwood Hotel. The hotel was constructed in the 1960’s and is a low rise timber building with accommodation wings connecting off the central courtyard pool. Aspects of the original rimu timber have been retained to reflect the design style of the hotel. All of the corridors are carpeted with exposed timber borders in the ground floor areas and the foyer is tiled with ceramic tiles. I am disappointed that you meal was not up to expectation and that did not represent value for money, and I apologise for the meal not meeting your expectations. The dinner menu mains are priced from $26 - $31, which is well in-line with meal pricing in Wellington and are not inflated. There are a number of local restaurants/cafes and reception will always assist with recommendations. The Kilbirnie shopping precinct is within a 5 minute walk. Once again thank you submitting your comments

Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

Checked into this hotel at 3am after work. Walked down the creepy ship like hallway that smells of musty to my room.. which had a huge stain beside the bed of.... who knows what and the stench of rotting carpet. Around 6am the airport (which sounds like it has a taxiway through the hotel) fired up as did the creaky floors upstairs.
The bathroom was nice though!!
You would hope it was cheap cos it sure was "economy"

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
BrentwoodManager, General Manager at Brentwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

Dear Jordan M - thank you for submitting your comments and review of your recent stay with the Brentwood Hotel. I am disappointed to read that your stay was less than satisfactory and sincerely apologise that we did not meet your expectations. We had recently experienced a leak from a hose in the corridor in that particular wing with the carpet taking a couple of days to fully dry leaving a musty odour. This has now been resolved. The room occupied has just had a complete new bathroom installation and we are now in the process of replacing the stained carpet which was a result of leak under the floor of the old bathroom. It had not been prudent to replace the carpet until we had completed the renovation and remedied the source of the leak. With our location 3.6km from the airport we do experience some aircraft noise with the first trans-Tasman flights departing at 6am. Once again thank you for your comments as it assists us to improve our service and facilities.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

The Brentwood ticked all the boxes. I booked 2 nights on separate websites which meant different prices and different rooms. The lady at check in was awesome and made it so I didn't have to change rooms after the first night. Room was big and comfortable and quiet. The hotel is a busy conference facility and accepts a lot of bus tours but it does not affect your stay. Had room service the first night and it was good. All in all good value for your money and very comfortable.

Room Tip: The rooms round the back of the hotel are quiet and private.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
BrentwoodManager, General Manager at Brentwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Peter M - thank you for submitting your favourable comments and review of the Brentwood Hotel. It is pleasing to read that you were well looked after at check in with reception ensuring that you didn't need to change rooms. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will appreciate the feedback. It is also pleasing that you found the rooms comfortable and value for money. Conferences are a significant part of our business however it is bus drivers that stay with us rather than tours, hence the coaches parked at the hotel. Once again thank you for your comments and I trust that we will have the opportunity to host you again the next time you travel through Wellington.
Anthony Dey, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilbirnie
The Cambridge Hotel
QT Museum Wellington
#5 of 46 in Wellington
InterContinental Wellington
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor

Been to Brentwood Hotel? Share your experiences!