“I loved it here, didn't want to leave...”
Review of The New Swan Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ystalyfera
The New Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Ystalyfera B&B and Inns
Gloucester
“I loved it here, didn't want to leave...”
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

The welcome won't be beaten anywhere; coming into the New Swan for the first time is like coming home. Like many others I stayed for two nights while I was on the BMW Off Road Skills course. Great food in the pub, huge quality traditional fried breakfasts served with gorgeous hot tea and big smiles.
This is pub accommodation at its best; clean , well kept rooms, great food, local bottled ales, best service anywhere, secure parking for motorbikes, chatty locals, a great night's sleep.
It's not like a hotel if that's what you're looking for but I stay at a lot of 3*, 4* and 5* hotels all around the world as part of my job and for two or three nights stay I'd swap any of them for the New Swan - that's me, I like character, home cooked food and real people.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank seanfunk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed in The New Swan Inn for three nights in July 2012 while I attended a course at Off Road Skills.
First I should say that if you're looking for 4 or 5 star accommodations that are tranquil then this is not your place. Move along this is not the B&B you are looking for. The New Swan Inn is a working pub that hosts live music, serves damn good beer, very good "pub-grub" and rollicking good fun.
We found Gareth to be a first class host, attentive and amenable. My wife decided to go hiking one day and catch a bus in to Swansea the next. Gareth provided her with lots of good advice and even offered her a lift in to Swansea. She had her heart set on riding the doubledecker bus through the rural Wales! The rooms were certainly adequate for our needs. The bathroom has a medium (by North American standards) sized shower, WC and sink. Bedroom is not too small, certainly room to swing a cat or three. TV could be a little larger though.
I slept well on the comfortable bed despite having sustained a couple of bruised ribs. If you've ever bruised your ribs you'll understand what an achievement that is!
Breakfasts were fantastic!
Next time I go back to Off Road Skills (which is about a ten minute walk away) I will definitely be looking at booking a room again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RussAtkinson
Cologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Well-equipped and well-decorated rooms, a friendly welcome and an amazing breakfast - what more do you need, whether you're visiting family, just back from a round of golf or a great day out on the Gower Peninsula...

Gareth Shell runs his hotel with heart and soul, and is cheerful and uncomplicated to a fault.

We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kai K
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I have stayed in the New Swan Hotel a few times over the last few Years , The Public House / Hotel is on the outskirts of City or Swansea, I Travel all over the country with work, and always stay in there.
It has every thing I need.
The cooked breakfast is extremely nice and a generous portion, I have had other meals there in the afternoon, which are again very nice, and a good selection to chose from the menu.
The Staff are all friendly and the landlord (Gareth) is a really nice guy, The rooms I have stayed in have all been in a good clean condition with a nice and comfy for a good night sleep. They also had a TV in each room with Digital free view.
There is also a fast wifi for guests or anyone that stays there it is very fast compared to other places I have stayed.
The landlord always seems to be in and amongst the people and always working on new projects .
He has now got a detached room towards the rear of the premises in the style of a country cottage for people to stay in. Looked very nice for what I could see.
It looks ideal for all sorts of people, family’s exploring the Welsh countryside. Etc. I know the Dan Yr Ogof Caves are just up the road from there, as I have pasted it many a time whilst on way to where I have been working.
I have done a fair bit of caving in my earlier days and I now that from the past they are nice caves for public to explore. There are also several very nice walks close to the New Swan Hotel, that I have done one or 2 whilst staying there.
On return to the Hotel. A well deserved drink of one of many beers and ales’ that are sold there.
All in all a faultless stay each and every time I have stayed there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ryan D
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stayed 6 nights in this excellent hotel/pub. Staff very friendly and helpful. Food excellent, particularly the breakfasts - after the full, you don't need anything until the next day! If you want to eat out, plenty of variety in the immediate area - chinese, chippy, pizza place etc. Stayed over the weekend and the live music was no problem, I fell asleep before it finished at 11.15ish, .....I think.
If I am back in the area, this is where I'll stay, it is well worth 5 thingies.

Room Tip: I stayed in 'The Cottage' out the back and it was great.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Abergele
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Four of us from the national BikeSafe team stayed one night whilst on a motorbike trip round Wales. Gareth the owner was friendly and helpful when I booked the rooms via e mail. On arrival we were provided with secure parking for our bikes and all the staff were helpful and nothing seemed to much trouble. The rooms were good and breakfast was huge and superb. An excellent place to stay if you are visiting the Brecon Beacons

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Murkle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Very friendly hotel. Owners were very welcoming and nothing seemed too much trouble, even at breakfast when the orders were less than straight forward!!

I booked single accomidations and had a very nice room (there wewre 3 single beds). The view from the room overlooked the hills. The facilities were very good, there were DVD available to borrow which was a good way of passing the evening if you travel alone. I forgot to take a hairdryer, I just asked and I was given one to borrow.

I stayed for 3 nights while doing a BMW rider skills training course. There was somewhere secure to park the bike which was a real plus.

On the Friday night there was live entertainment which I did not stay up to see but I culd hear it from my room. This was not a problem as it finished at 10.30. What I heard was extremely good!!

The only thing I found not to my liking was the matress. I could feel every spring in it and the first night sleep was not too good at all. By the 3rd night I had got used to it and slept very well.

The breakfast was excellent.

I would definatley recommend this to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in this area.

Thank you for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Honesty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ystalyfera
Ty Newydd Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Glynneath
Beili Helyg Guest House
Beili Helyg Guest House
#1 of 1 in Penderyn

Been to The New Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!