Riverdale Hall Country House Hotel
  • Restaurant
Langley Castle Hotel(Langley-on-Tyne)
Matfen Hall(Matfen)
View Hotel
All reviewsswimming poolcricket fieldsuperior roomboth nightsbar menusome tlcpatio doorsmain buildingnight breakchanging roomsnorth tynefantastic foodbit datedlovely breakwine listbeautiful countrysidekielder water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was gifted a voucher for two night bed and breakfast and decided to add another night to make it worthwhile the long drive. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived, the setting was pretty and the welcome very warm. Our room was very big with excellent facilities including tea and coffe making equipment and tv set. The view from the window was great overlooking the cricket field and the river and the hills beyond. The place was very clean. Dining was a very good experience, dinner in the restaurant was very good, well planned menus and beautifully cooked meals. We
also ate in the bar and had excellent food there too. All the staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful.I used the swimming pool a couple of times, the pool area was clean and I was able to enjoy a decent swim. I felt that the changing area could have done with a little more attention but not so that it spoiled my swim. We enjoyed a short walk into the village and ate at one of the three local pubs another enjoyable meal. We were able to visit Beamish Museum about 30 miles away and we also visited Kielder Water and the surrounding area, nipping over the border into Scotland briefly. We would revisit Riverdale Hall again in the future. We thought it excellent value for money.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We received a voucher for this Hotel as a wedding present and were a little late in booking but the staff were more than happy to still take our booking although the voucher had expired.
The staff were very friendly an accommodating. We stayed in room three which was a large room and wonderful views over to the river. The rooms were lovely and clean and also very warm. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom seemed as it had been recently refurbished. The only down side was a crack in the lovely sink.

Food was fabulous! We were advised by a local in the bar on arrival that the food was highly recommended and we were not disappointed. Potions were huge and quality was great. I asked for a meal from the bar menu to eat in the restaurant and this was no problem to the staff (garlic mushrooms as I had them the previous evening and couldn’t wait to have them again!) The food arrived quickly both in the bar and the restaurant. The waitress was happy to recommend wines for us to try too.

We used the pool during our stay which was immaculately clean, however, the décor in the pool area needs attention, the damp patches were off putting and to see patches where paint had crumbled wasn’t pleasing to the eye. Changing rooms were clean but very basic and in desperate need of updating.

All in all a fabulous hotel which is extremely clean and friendly but needs a little updating of the décor. Some places looked very tired and dated. I would stay again but would like to see a lick of paint and a tidy up.

Room Tip: room three is huge and a lovely stand alone bath views over the river.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2013

good hotel great food good inclusive breakfast very helpful & friendly staff our family room number21 was enormous didnt try out the swimming pool because we didnt have time great location easy access to northumberland national park and about 25 miles to cragside sounds a long way but when you have to drive thru such scenery its no problem enjoyed our stay and will return

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We had a deal voucher for 2 nights at this hotel and once we were there and saw our room we booked a 3rd night. The hotel was lovely and warm and our room (a superior) was very big with two large windows. We were on a corner so had views over the fields to the river one way and over the fields and sheep the other way. There was a very big TV, a four poster bed, plenty of storage space and a lovely bathroom. The water in the taps was very hot, all the time and the rooms warm too. Just what we needed as it was the beginning of March and the weather was very cold. Breakfasts were good and filling. We ate once in the 'award winning' restaurant and the food was beautiful. Staff very friendly. We couldn't fault this hotel and would return without hesitation. We don't have one, but dogs were welcome too!

Room Tip: We had room one at the back which was good, but I'm sure I read the rooms are soundproofed anyway. It was very quiet. We overlooked some single story bedrooms which I think would be the standard ones. We didn't see them but I'm glad we had a superior.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our family of four came here today - excellent service, warm friendly welcome and very tasty food which is extremely good value. The experience is way better than a pub Sunday dinner, and comes with many little touches that put it ahead of the competition. Warm delicious crusty bread and butter. Perfectly cooked veg. and delicious home made desserts. My wife and daughter enjoyed a swim in the hotel pool afterwards, ( no extra charge!)
The hotel itself, if I'm being honest, could do with a bit of decorating - it does look a little tired in places, but don't be put off. If you're lucky enough to go on a warm sunny day, the hotel has lovely grounds to sit in.
I've never stayed here so can't comment on the accommodation.
We will definitely visit again - I would actually have given this 4.5 but the review doesn't allow it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family