“Very pleasant”

Ranked #1 of 1 Fitts B&B and Inns
Kittery Point, Maine
“Very pleasant”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Very pleasant, just a couple of blocks from the beach. We had a sleeping loft, a kitchenette, sitting room and spacious bathroom. There's a supermarket and a variety of restaurants within walking distance.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Spencer S
Peter H, General Manager at Villa Marie Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay....even though it was short! I hope you will be able to try out the flying-fish recipe,on your next stay! Take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed for the Crop Over week in July/Aug 2011.

We found this place primarily based on budget (and location) as we had booked our second week in the Turtle Beach Resort. My wife did a lot of research and Villa Marie came up on our short list.

We stayed in the apartment and even in the Bajan off season we needed the air conditioning. It was a large apartment with the bedroom being on a gallery up a spiral staircase. There was a small double sofa bed made up for our two teenage boys but Peter was happy to provide a camp bed too. There were mosquito nets for two main beds. You do need them as our youngest is prone to bites and he got a few.

You get a kitchenet in the main large living room (not really sutable for large scale cooking but that was the last thing we wanted to do). You also get the use of the main large open plan kitchen & dining area that all guests can use. The bathroom is large and a bit dated but clean and functional.

Our biggest concern was the lack of a swimming pool (there's certainly room for one) but the beach is really close by (at the bottom of the road). To be honest the simple arrangements made sure we got out and about and made the most of this week. The gardens have huge mango trees in them and there are a couple of lounge areas to chill out and enjoy a Banks or Mountgay rum with Peter &/or the other guests.

Peter was a great host. Security was not an issue as he is a Sylvester Stallone lookalike! Sure he has opinions but we had done some research of our own so the combination of his experience and our sense of adventure was a great mix!

Also we didn't really notice dogs, cockerals, etc, that other people have complained about.

Would we go back - definately! Enjoy!!

Top Tips
- Use all forms of local transport to get out and about. the louder the reggae buses the better as far as I'm concerned!! You do not need a car to stay here.
- Try the local's restaurant & bar in Fitts Village (Annie's ??). The locals were friendly as were the staff. Rather than read the menu just ask whats left, its a lot easier!!
- The Italian restaurant at the bottom of the road was pricey but good for seafront drinks during its happy hour.
- There's a small/medium sized supermarket (Jordans) nearby so shopping was not an issue without a car.
- Outside of Fitts Village we enjoyed eating at the Ramshackle bar, Just Grillin', Oistin's Fish Fry & Fast Eddie's ribs van.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comment,it was a pleasure meeting you all! Wishing you all the best and hoping to see you some other time!
couva
Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife,daughter and myself spent seven nights at the Villa Marie,we found it to be clean,neat,nice and quite.Friendly atmosphere with other guest at the villa,the host Peter is very knowledgeable and gives great advice about the island,I would recommend this villa to any one,also the villa is idealy located.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Staffordg
Thanks so much for your comment ! I really enjoyed our conversations,the laughs and your company! I hope it will not take too long,until we see each other again ! Best wishes to you and your family in one of our neighbouring islands...! Take care!
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I went to Barbados with my daughter for one week, just to relax and to go to the nicest beaches that I know.
As usual (this was my 5th trip to the island) I made reservation at Villa Marie.
The place remains calm, quiet, comfortable, price is very reasonable considering what you get and the place where you stay (West Coast, facing the Caribbean Sea, so the calm waters).
The beaches nearby are almost exclusive (not busy at all) and NICE, the best in Barbados !
Bedrooms and bathrooms are big. No tv or phone in the bedroom, but I had my notebook and cellphone. And you do not go to Barbados to watch tv ...
Kitchen (for all the clients) is big, with all the "tools", you put your beers and food in the refrigerator (also shared with the other clients) and that is it.
The bigger apartments have private kitchen and refrigerator.
The house is big, as the garden.
Peter (the owner) arranges car rental, taxi to the airport and will recommend very good restaurants.
Another perfect trip to Barbados, thanks to the great island, its people and Villa Marie !

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank acker57
Fargo, ND
Reviewed March 8, 2011

So...How was the Villa Marie...that is not an easy answer....

Let's first address the property itself. The property is pretty well built in relation to its location. Rooms...are pretty good, but the new properties surrounding the area are more modern. The patio and the decks are nice to relax on and talk with your friends and family. The rooms with the lofts are extremely difficult to gain access to. The pictures look good, but the reality is...it is really not. Forget about taking any luggage to the loft. You will need to unpack and carry everything upstairs.

Sleep...ahhh...sweet slumber...forget it unless you are fall asleep quickly and are a hard sleeper. Between the dogs fighting and barking all night, coupled with the fights with any other local animals...forget it. By the time you actually fall asleep, you will then we awoken by all the rosters crowing. I did not believe the few negative views before and decided to give it a shot...on bit of advise...bring ear plugs if you are not a hard, fast sleeper.
A/C or no A/C...that is the question....well, I think that is a matter of your own personal preference. First of all, yes...you can get a pretty good breeze at times...that is if you are not bothered by any creepy crawlies or other things in your room. Amazingly, there were no screens on the windows. If there were, no worries. The Fans help, but when it gets warm, it is WARM! For me…Between the barking dogs, fighting animals, insects, hot weather (in February), it was not the most enjoyable experience. The experience...as well as the fact I was there to be married, made it tolerable.
The Villa is very clean and maintained pretty well. The maid (sadly I forgot her name) is a doll and does a very good job.
Now on to the management....Peter. Well..he is a bit hard to describe...suffice it to say, I was not a fan for several reasons. If you have the money, are entertained boisterous, know it all men , to "guide" you though all the perils of the island, and you fully understand whatever idea you have is wrong...I guess he is your guy. Granted , my views are colored by later comments I will make, but…in the metaphysical sense…I simply did not get a good feel for him. I and several others, pretty much found him to be a pompous [--], playing on the naive notions of first time visitors, while others were quite intrigued. I have read some reviews that mentioned how nice and helpful he was...that could very well be true and the impressions of some our party are completely out of line. I think it is a bit subjective and if you visit, you will, of course, form your own opinion.
Upon our late arrival, Peter seemed poised and ready to help us and our guests to our appointed rooms. He was also there to tell us about his issues about the payment for the rooms. When we reserved the rooms, we wanted to pay for the entire stay at one time. He did not want us to do that for some odd reason. So, as requested by him, we paid 1/2 of the amount to reserve. A week or two before we were to go there, he told our travel agent he would like the rest of the payment in cash when we arrived. We were advised not to make the cash payment and instead pay the rest with a credit card for tracking purposes. This info was conveyed to Peter and he refused to do so...he wanted cash.
So, once we arrived...on that late night...the first thing he asked for was the cash, Since we rented the entire Villa, we did not have that amount money with us. That experience immediately began the "bad" aspects of our trip. We had to scramble every day to make sure we could go to an ATM to get money to not only pay for our activities, but also to pay for the Villa.
I really do not know what the deal was. Perhaps the actual owners of the property allow him to have half the money of rental as his pay. Perhaps the owners want to avoid taxes, who know..... I just know he did not want the money to go though the account. That is what would happen if a credit card was used. I am not sure why he so forcefully wanted the money in cash. I really just resulted in a very poor experience from the beginning. I just know if I was the owner of a property and was paying someone to manage it for me, I would want all transactions to go though the account. If the owners read this...I would suggest you check your books, reported stays and profit margin.
OK...enough with that portion of our program. :-)
If you decide to stay at this place, just know you will need to deal with several issues from the human and animal perspective. BE PREPARED!
Would I stay there again...well, not if Peter reads this....that would just be stupid. The real answer is NO. There are several other new properties it the are that are very comfortable and modern….and they don’t charge for the A/C if you want it. Despite it being a pretty good room, the insanity of the animals throughout the night does not make for a restful vacation. To be fair, there is really not much the management can do about it....it is just the area. If you do decide to stay there, close the windows and pay the extra cash for the A/C...it will not only keep you cool, but it will drown out the noise from the dogs, rosters and other animals. As for Peter...you are on your own there....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank FargoMike
Redding, California
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I specifically asked before I made the booking about noise, as I wanted peace and quiet. I was assured by the manager it was a quiet location. There wasn't much traffic noise, but there were roosters that crowed from before light till generally late afternoon. Some people might not be bothered by the noise but I was. I also noted the towels were worn and shabby in my room, and there was not a dish towel in the kitchenette. I paid the price for an apartment, which is their most expensive accommodation. Yet the day before I left I saw the manager folding very nice towels, getting ready for a returning group. I feel everyone should be shown the same level of care. I was there as a woman alone, and the manager seemed to think I needed to be lectured repeatedly that all the locals wanted was sex, and that men and women were not just friends in Barbados. His opinion is that everyone is sleeping with everyone else, and jaded. As a woman over 40 who has been around, it wasn't needed or wanted. I spent some time with a local I met on a previous visit, and when he came by the Villa Peter turned his back instead of greeting him. I felt it was rude. Guests and their visitors should be greeted and treated with respect, whatever your personal feelings are. I met several other locals who were respectful, and good people. I plan to return to Barbados again, but would not return to Villa Marie.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank CaGirl2691
Washington DC
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I agree with almost all of the reviews posted. But here are two negatives. There is no good light to read by. So my advice is - if you like to read while on vacation which I do - bring a reading lamp with a light bulb of at least 100 watts with you. The lights are all low wattage so with the pine paneling, the room eats the little light put out by the low wattage so it is very very dim. The second thing is the early morning noise. First there are the roosters which go off at dawn. But worse than the roosters are the dogs, hundreds of them, which bay and bark and growl and yowl all night long. I wouldn't have minded being awakened if I could have read myself back to sleep, but the bedside lamps were outfitted with 10 watt bulbs so I couldn't see the prin on the age and there was no other plug by the bed to plug in an MP3/CD player to listen to music.

SO, if I return, I will bring high wattage bulbs, a reading lamp and a power strip so I can plug in more appliances!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank diplo65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fitts
Beach View
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#2 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hot...
#4 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Palm Paradise Guest House + 2 Apartments

Been to Villa Marie Guesthouse? Share your experiences!