“Made our friend's engagement feel very special”

Le Couvent des Cordeliers
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I've been to Le Couvent twice. Once with family and friends over the summer where we sat outside in the elegant and pretty patio by the river and more recently when we took our friends after they had just got engaged five minutes before the booking and dined inside. (He got his knee wet on the pretty little bridge in the park in Verteuil and we had booked a table to celebrate). Both times have been very good but the second time deserves a special mention as we were the only people there - yet somehow it didn't feel soulless or strange at all. In fact, the English Maitre D couldn't do more for us and made us feel like we were having our own private dinner party. The interior design is refined and has a boutique hotel/restaurant feel yet still felt cosy and inviting. Food was great. Simple but delicious starters of pate and salamis, hams etc - mains were huge salads full of flavour and good fresh ingredients. Washed down with a bottle of celebratory Champagne - made the engagement meal one to remember for all the right reasons.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luke A

Reviewed September 12, 2012

What I found most impressive wasn't the delicious meals, tranquil atmosphere, or beautifully appointed decor- it was the personal attention the staff paid to me. I felt truly welcomed from the moment I arrived to when I left. It would be a pleasure to go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank phil R
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This place is truly beautifully designed with excellent and thoughtful taste. We had a very restful night here and the staff were delightful.
The only problem was the parking - none available to guests on site as all space was given over to the lovely gravel-covered outdoor area. This meant finding a space a couple of hundred metres away and dragging cases back to the Couvent - not helpful on a boiling hot evening and you certainly couldn't have managed small children and cases for such a trek.

Room Tip: No air conditioning (unusual at 160 euros) but useful free Wifi
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mrscherylsalmon
335london, Owner at Le Couvent des Cordeliers, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay at Le Couvent. Unfortunatly parling in Verteuil is somewhat restrictive due to the narrow streets, however as you stated parking is available relatively close by and we do offer a "load and unload" service with baggage at the front of the property and there is always someone on hnad to help with the luggage.
Also the entire building has an effective air cooling system particularly the bedrooms, however given some of the extremely high tempratures we have been experiencing of late I doubt the air conditioning in most modern of establishments would cope let alone our 14C building
We look forward to welcoming you to our Couvent again in the not too distant future

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Great ambience, excellent food, friendly and pleasant staff, comfortable rooms, perfect location. I highly recommend Le Couvent des Cordeliers! Its welcoming touches make u feel like you're at home away from home.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank soulfulsites
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We took my mum and her partner to this restaurant last night for a meal having had it recommended to us by a neighbour.

I have a special interest in interiors and gardens and found the ambience to be chic and tasteful whilst still relaxing and in keeping with the ancient historical town of Verteuil in which it is set.
The proprietor, Jean Claude was friendly and welcoming and genuinely interested in the comfort and enjoyment of his patrons.

We all had an excellent meal with one of our party saying he had not had such a good steak in ages, praise indeed from a New Zealander! AND I had a well done steak ( 'Sacre Bleau ' I hear you say?)..- it was excellent and just as I like it- the chef who prepared it as requested can only be praised.

I have read some comments on here which do not do Le Couvent des Cordeliers justice at all. Admittedly its not cheap but to my mind well worth every penny because of the excellent service ,gorgeous setting and beautifully prepared food. We left feeling privileged and happy to have spent the last evening of our holiday here with my mum and her partner before their return to New Zealand.

We will almost certainly be back when next we fancy a great meal out in a lovely ambience.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I first visited Le Couvent when it first opened and was delighted to find this amazing place. I returned last month with great excitement to find things have changed. No longer were the staff as bubbly and attentive as on my first visit! Whatever has happened please sort it out before I come back to this beautiful part of France

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank canadian63
335london, Owner at Le Couvent des Cordeliers, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Sorry to hear you were not happy with the staff on your recent visit, however I can assure you all our staff are professional and attentive at all times which I am sure you will observe on your next visit

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We all had a superb gourmet meal which I can highly recommend and the service is what you would expect from a high quality establishment.

The detail and presentation of the food is first class. Great steak and the scallops were cooked to perfection.

Definately be going back. We are very lucky to have this restaurant close by. One of the best meals we have had in the area and we have had a few!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Charentees

Been to Le Couvent des Cordeliers? Share your experiences!