“Peaceful and perfect.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shuniah
Beyond the Giant Nature Retreats
Reviewed March 20, 2013

So perfect. So peaceful. My family stayed "Beyond the Giant" for a few days in February. If braving winter, just remember you are truly off the grid: There was only a tiny wood stove to heat the cabin Mystic. Bruce--the ultimate host--already had it going by the time we arrived. It was definitely enough to keep us toasty, but you'll have to get up in the middle of the night to add some logs or you'll be chilly in the morning. Make sure to pack some bedroom slippers; the floor boards don't heat up as well. There's only a chemical toilet, but it does the job. These are small inconveniences to endure when you consider the scenery, hosts, and outdoors experience. We took a telescope and spent an evening enjoying the stars from one of the clearest spots we've traveled to. The peninsula across the bay is uninhabited--no light pollution. The next morning we followed Bruce's advice and took a drive down to Silver Islet--a tiny and scenic Lake Superior village. Most places were boarded up for winter, but that just added to the allure and made for great photos. Later, we went snowshoeing on a trail Bruce had suggested. It was perfect--flanked by pine trees and dotted with animal tracks. That night, Bruce brought some board games down to the cabin. He even took a few minutes to teach our sons how to play one of them. We asked him tons of questions about the area and he had an answer for every one of them. This guy knows his stuff! I'm guessing he read every one of the eclectic books left in the cabin. If you're in Mystic, look for the one about the Fur Trapper. The photos are stunning and I have a feeling it may have inspired the hosts! We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I peeked in all of the cabins and they were equally beautiful.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank owlcrazy
There are newer reviews for Beyond the Giant Nature Retreats

Reviewed September 16, 2012

If there is one thing that you should add to the top of your bucket list, its Beyond the Giant. Just returned from 8 amazing nights. Both Brenda and Bruce have done an outstanding job here in making sure that there is peace, tranquility, privacy, amenities and comfort...all the rest is supplied by nature. From Moonrise to Sunrise, how you spend your time is up to you and all year round!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J H
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here for a week and were very pleased with the log cabin lodgings and hospitality. The hosts saw to our every need and were generous with local's tips. The cabin was beautiful, both rusty and comfy - well stocked with a full kitchen. We were kept well stocked with supplies (water, wood, etc.). Sunrise across the lake was breath-taking. Loan of the canoe was a bonus.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Andy W
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed with my husband, brother & sister in the Mystic cabin which had more than enough room. Love that they are Eco friendly & very private! The cabins have everything you would need for a comfortable stay. It is located on a beautiful inlet with gorgeous views. The owners are very friendly and make you feel at home. I enjoyed my stay during our Superior Adventure & hope the be back one day!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KL_travel
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Neither adventurous nor a risk-taker, I’m an anxious traveler. I like to know what I’m getting myself into before going anywhere. So it surprised me when I uncharacteristically booked a week stay at one of the eco-cabins at Beyond the Giant Retreat (http://www.beyondthegiant.ca) after only viewing the images and information on their website. However, although I’m an anxious, cautious traveler, I also crave the solitude and sanctuary that only time in a natural environment can provide. So, based on Beyond the Giant’s site, I took a leap of faith and reserved a week at their “Mystic” cabin for my husband, sixteen-year-old son and myself.

Upon returning from our week as guests of Brenda and Bruce Wing, I can honestly say it was probably the best holiday we’ve had as a family. The location of the cabin, perched at the edge of Black Bay, offered the tranquility that’s a prerequisite for our family vacations; water lapping against the rocks, glorious sunsets and blissful silence. And without the techno-distractions of home, we were able to experience, the wind, water and woods of our comfortable home away from home. Making use of Brenda and Bruce’s single and tandem kayaks was the ideal way to experience the area!

The cabin itself suited us perfectly! The Mystic has a deck open to the breezes off the bay, as well as a screened porch that offers shade and shelter during short-lived showers. Many hours were spent deep in the pages of a book or enjoying our meals al fresco. The Mystic boasts a beautiful, large open kitchen and dining room. We’d been to eco-cabins in the past and the size and temperature of the refrigerator were less than desirable, but we were quite pleased with the capacity and coolness of this eco-cabin’s fridge.

Comfortable, clean, spacious and decorated with a natural aesthetic, we were more than happy with the living arrangements. The master bedroom in the cabin’s loft is large and warmly lit as the morning sun pours through the balcony off the bedroom and illuminates the wood floors and ceiling of the space. The second bedroom, located on the main floor, is cool during the warm days and cozy as thunderstorms roll in over the bay at night.

What made this the perfect holiday for our family of three was that we could enjoy the privacy and serenity of the cabin, while still being able to jump in our car and investigate the surrounding area. We were able to explore Sleeping Giant Provincial Park’s trails, beaches and lookouts, as well as the tiny community of Silver Islet at the tip of the park. Just a short drive east of our cabin, we spent hours “digging for treasure” at North America’s largest amethyst mine. From Kakabeca Falls just west of Thunder Bay, to the steep cliffs of Ouimet Canyon, the varied topography was a feast for the eyes; so different from the consistency of the prairie landscape to which we’re accustomed!

Knowledgeable and welcoming hosts, Bruce and Brenda were more than accommodating and it was obvious it was their sincere desire we have the best possible stay. The location, the cabin, the surrounding area and our gracious hosts made for a vacation we will always remember with great fondness.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mjtownsley
Reviewed August 16, 2011

This was the perfect place to relax and unwind, right on the water's edge. You fall asleep to the sound of the waves lapping on the shore. They just have a few cabins at this Retreat. They are all private from each other. Our cabin had a loft bedroom upstairs, with a small deck to sit out and look over the water on Black Bay, so peaceful. The cabin runs on solar power and propane. The open kitchen was well equipped. The hosts are very gracious in explaining how everything works. They had kayaks and canoes there which we enjoyed numerous times over our 2 day stay. It was just a short drive to the Sleeping Giant to spend a day hiking there.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Martymom

Been to Beyond the Giant Nature Retreats? Share your experiences!