“Horrendous customer service!!!”
Review of Solar de Febrer

Solar de Febrer
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tirgo
Reviewed July 21, 2013

There is no doubt that the quality and facilities are outstanding, but the customer service left a bitter taste in our mouths.
On booking in, the manager failed to return our passport folders to us , and with all our luggage and our dog, admittedly, we also forgot to ask for them.
At breakfast the following morning, the waitress gave us our passports, but unbeknown to us our driving licences had been removed. We did not realise until we returned home to the United Kingdom.
After several phone calls and emails the manager confirmed that he had our driving licences at the hotel but was most unwilling to post them to us, even though I was prepared to take responsibility for their loss in transit.
As a final resort, I sent a self addressed envelope to the manager together with a 5 euro note to cover the cost of postage. Several months later I am still waiting for their return and have had no further acknowledgement of any of my emails. This has resulted in us having to replace our licences at great expense.
Is there any need for such disgraceful customer service in an era of such easy communication?
I really couldn't recommend this hotel to fellow foreign travellers. The whole experience was really soured by the manager's attitude.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Solar de Febrer

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We reserved the hotel for two nights it was easy to find and right next door to a Bodega. The hotel has a restaurant which serves a delicious 3 course dinner as well as breakfast. I had lamb and my husband had stuffed pork chops. The people are extremely friendly and welcoming, making it feel like your a guest in their home rather than at a hotel. They also speak English well. We had one of the suites on the third floor which was nicely Designed, I had no problems with checking in, parking, or getting dinner reservations even though we arrived around 7:30pm. the bathroom is excellent, water ran great And the room comes with a large screen TV with a few channels. it's close to vineyards nearby and they were willing to help us make reservations.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Twincdp
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Beautiful conversion of old Spanish manor house in the small town of Tirgo, just outside Haro. The rooms were exquisite with everything one needs for a few days exploring the Rioja region. Breakfast superb with eggs cooked to order as well as full range of fruits, cereals, juices & breads. A great start to the day. There is no restaurant, so one needs to explore elsewhere for the evening meal, but beware, most places are closed weekday evening. Not sure if this is always the case or a symptom of the current economic problems within Spain.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AandJ1947
Reviewed March 3, 2013

In reference to hotel Solar de Febrer I would like to state the following: I had a reservation in this hotel, and on the way from Barcelona I tried to make contact with the hotel, as I realized I would arrive later than 9 pm, limit time for check-in (which should be considered absurd, as any hotel accepts 12 pm as the limit to check-in), but phone was out. On the road, I received phone contact from travel agency operator (Booking) around 9 pm and received notice that hotel would close at 9 pm, and that a delay would not be accept. Any way, I went to the hotel at a later time (10 pm) and observed that door was closed and no phone contact number was fixed on the door. After finding another hotel, I contact Mr. Fernando, supposedly the manager, and I was at this time able to establish a dialog, were he seemed to understand the delay. I understood from this conversation, and I can understand Spanish clearly, that he would cancel no show with Booking. Next morning Booking operator contact us saying that hotel had posted a now show note and suggest me to contact hotel about. At this point facts became funny, as I went personally to the hotel and meet the guy. By unknowing reason he was unfriendly, denied previous talk and refused to hear any argument. In a normal hotel reception conversation, he threat me with police (hang phone and made contact), pointed to safety camera, as if in any moment I had any attitude to justify his acts. He put me out from hotel, he closed doors and I tried to ring from front bell. No dialogue could be established and just told me later to wait 5 minutes, in reference to a possible police arrival. I went to my car and realized that he had followed and was taking photographs of the car. As a Medical Doctor, tourist or simple human bean I had never had such treatment. To finish the story, a later communication from Booking justifies no show fee with the excuse that the manager had posted the phone for contact outside the door, which was clearly a lie. Why such manager behaved in a form different from any hotel manager I have met around the world, remains to be explained. Two points stated in previous critics to this hotel at Tripadvisor made me post this advice: hotel is far from anywhere and the manager has impolite. Any way, if any one intent to put some excitement to a trip to Spain, go there and find a reasonable argument to discuss with the manager.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Although the hotel looks very nice we got offered a smelly smoking room even tough we booked one non smoking via Booking.com. There were two empty not made non-smoking rooms but the owner did not seem to want to find a solution that would have alloweed us to stay that night. He quickly offered a non cost cancellation of our reservation and we sadly had to leave (in the evening without any alternative). So, we can confirm that the hotel looks wonderful and tastefully decorated but the service was terrible. We will never go back there.

Room Tip: Tell very explicitely if you want a NON smoking room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is a great little hotel. The owner Fernando is the perfect host and nothing is too difficult to ensure that you have a great stay. The rooms, both public and bedrooms are tastefully decorated and very clean. The continental breakfast is also very good. The only drawback is that the restaurant is not always open and thus you have to drive into Haro to get dinner, this can be annoying when you have been driving for a few hours to get there as it is the last thing you need. Coffee and/or tea making facilities would also be useful.

Overall the hotel offers great value for money and we will most certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Philip E
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We visited this lovely boutique hotel on a stop over on the way to Santander in August, 2012. Excellent choice. Hotel spotlessly clean. Very friendly staff. We visited the restaurant adjoining for a wonderful evening tasting local cuisine and great wine. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel - The area is beautiful and you need more than one night to explore. David and Jan from Hartley Wintney, Hampshire, England.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tirgo
Hotel Los Agustinos
Real Casona de las Amas
Hotel Ciudad de Haro
Hotel Villa de Abalos
Palacio de Casafuerte
Palacio de Casafuerte
#1 of 1 in Zarraton
Parador de Santo Domingo de la Calzada
Parador de Santo Domingo de la C...
#1 of 4 in Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Been to Solar de Febrer? Share your experiences!