“Great Hotel, Exceptional Breakfast”

Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Winterbourne
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Exceptional Breakfast”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I didn’t choose this hotel. I stayed here because I was attending a wedding, and I have to say recent reviews left me feeling some trepidation as I arrived. I needn’t have worried.

The hotel is set in lovely grounds, in what feels a remote spot (although actually quite accessible from all of M4, M5 and M32). The decor of the hotel is excellent. Fresh and tastefully applied, and altogether very pleasant.

I contacted the hotel a few days earlier to see if there was any chance of an early check in. “Probably not” was the general message, and this was clearly and professionally explained by a gentleman called David. This was fine, as I had no right to expect this, and I’d rather know the facts. So a good start.

Not so good was the fact that at 2.45, well past check-in time, my room still wasn’t ready. However again the front desk staff were pleasant and handled this so well that I really didn’t mind. Also I was refreshingly surprised not to be forced to register a credit card on check in (I had pre-paid) for incidentals, and to be given a cash ‘pay as you go’ option with no hassle at all. This is rare and much appreciated.

15 minutes later we were in our room, which was again freshly decorated and spotlessly clean throughout. The main bed was large and very comfortable, as were the pillows. The bed linen was crisp and fresh. Our children’s temporary beds were as good as could be expected, and everyone would go on to have a good night’s sleep. One small criticism was that only 2 glasses were provided for 4 occupants. This is a minor gripe; this was an excellent hotel room.

I have saved the best to last. The only blemish on breakfast was that we had quite a wait to be seated, but after this everything was 10/10. The food was superb. A buffet is the best breakfast for me. You get exactly what you want, when you want it. Here the food was always plentiful. If an item needed to be replaced then this would happen in double quick time. There was none of the mean ‘small plate’ tricks often played in buffets either; plates were large and hot so your hot food stayed hot (an obsession on mine). On top of this the staff were superb. Peaks in Sunday morning demand were handled effortlessly and without fuss, and your table was always cleared with a smile. This was the best hotel breakfast I have had in years.

In summary:

+ Lovely setting
+ Fresh decor and comfortable communal areas
+ Comfortable room and spotlessly clean
+ Fantastic breakfast in all respects; organisation, food and service

- Room not ready on time – this didn’t bother us this time but would annoy me on many occasions and I am sure would others

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Angela,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Mercure Grange Bristol North Hotel following your recent visit.

Both myself and my team were pleased to read that the vast majority of your stay was a positive experience, especially concerning the customer service your received.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Josh Watts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Booked in to this hotel on 10/04. No lifts. What Hotel in their right mind has no lifts? People have luggage up 4 flights of stairs! Got to my room which was dark and dingy, bathroom was very small and poor quality. Lights in my room were not working hence it was dark... 1 light buld had been removed. I called down to reception and she offered to change me to an "executive room" . I got to my new room... Which was exactly the same as the one before and was anything but executive... I called down to reception to ask what is so executive about this room... Wait for it.... "It has a coffee machine"!!! A coffee machine does not make a room executive i said... Well it is an exeutive room she said. If you are going tomstay here dont bother paying for an exec room its the same as standard! I went to bed and went down for breakfast the next morning.... Really poor standard of breakfast. She showed me to my seat and i ordered tea and then went to select breakfast the choice was poor, the buffet cooked breakfast lloked poort quality and cheap and i decided that enough was enough and just walked out and went to settle my bill. 15 minute wait to check out as only 1 receptionist on to serve a queue ... A member of staff walked by and i asked cant they get someone else on reception? No she said. I will never stay here again and would advise anyone to thing twice. I left my details for the manager to call me.... I am still waiting!

Room Tip: Dont bother booking an executive room its the same standard as a normal room oh you do get a coffee...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank 98AngelaA
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Angela A,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out to provide myself and the team with your feedback following your stay with ourselves.

Myself and the team were disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable stay woth ourselves and would like to apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

The team and I treat all feedback as a priority and we would like to thank you for providing us with your review and also more in depth feedback to my Front Office Manager also.

Ms Kuldeep Badesha

Travelers are raving about these Winterbourne hotels

Doncaster
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I visited the hotel on business, it is ideally situated being only a couple of miles from the M5 motorway. The staff were very friendly, the rooms comfortable and the food good. The hotel is set in lovely surroundings too, making my stay very relaxing and pleasant. My only criticisms would be the very noisy floorboards, both in my room and the rooms around me, and also the expensive drinks list. Having said that I would definitely use the hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Anthony K,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out to provide myself and the team with your online review following your recent stay at the hotel.

We were delighted to read that you found the food to be a good standard, bedroom comfortable and all staff you encountered to be friendly; this is what myself and the team pride ourselves in ensuring that we deliver to all our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Warmest regards,

Gloucester, England
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My brother held his wedding reception here, and myself, and my family booked in to stay for the one Friday night.

In the week leading up to the wedding i checked with tripadvisor to see the reviews and was a bit gutted to see that it had had some pretty harsh reviews very recently to do with poor customer service and the state of the rooms etc. I was then very concerned that this may adversely affect my brothers wedding and his enjoyment of the day.

However, i need not have worried. When we arrived on the Friday afternoon, we were greeted by very polite and courteous staff, and although a bit early, allowed to check into our room, which was clean and tidy, as well as being recently decorated.

During the day/evening, i approched the front desk with requests for various items such as pens and prit stick for the guest book, which the staff bent over bacwards to provide. They also treated me very well considering i had taken a few on board !!

In summary, my brother enjoyed his day, as did everyone else who stayed at the hotel, and i cannot report the same problems as the people who stayed here the week previous.

The breakfast was fine and i would not hesitate to stay here again. I can only assume that there are some people that expect champagne when paying lemonade money !!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Hgs153
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Hgs153,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out to provide myself and the team with your feedback and we were delighted to read that everyone had a great time at the wedding - myself and the team were honoured to be hosting this very special occasion with you and your family.

The hotel is a located on 18 acres of grounds which I know the Bride and Groom used to take those all important wedding photos - myself and the wedding team would love to be able to view these.

The team and I pride ourselves in delivering first class service to all our guests and I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on experiencing this first hand.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you all back in the very near future and once again big congratulations to the happy couple!

Durham
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My work takes me all over the UK and Mecure Hotels usually deliver an expectation that the accommodation will meet a certain standard. That expectation is also noted by the price of the hotel per night - which is not an inconsiderable amount.

The hotel is set with 18 acres of beautiful grounds; however it is isolated and close to nowhere.

The hotel reception was dark, draughty an uninviting.
The bar area skylight was covered in cob webs and the views of the beautiful grounds were obscured by the filthy windows which were covered in bird droppings. The toilets were clean, but were very dated with the tiling appearing to be circa early 90's.

At £4.20 for a pint of Becks, the customer shouldn't have to hunt down bar staff when they need to be served, as was the case....on each of the 5 occasions I used the bar.
The issues in the bar are all something which can be put right easily with the right management.

The room had recently been decorated and had the strong smell of paint. The doors to the bathroom and bedroom could do with replacement as opposed to re-painting - they appear to have already been re-painted several times. I found the bed very hard (as did other colleagues who stayed at the hotel) but this is obviously matter of preference. The floor boards constantly squeaked loudly - I felt for whoever was staying below me!

There are no leisure facilities such as a pool or gym, despite the price per night and the hotels isolated location.

In summary, it is clean and there are worse hotels. The bar is tired, over and over priced - particularly noticeable when you are surrounded by spider’s webs and filthy windows.

I would not recommend this hotel, nor will my colleagues or I be staying there again.

Room Tip: Book a room at the other Mecure Hotel in Bristol!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank Isitjustme!
isitjustme!

Many thanks for taking the time out to provide myself and the team with your feedback followig your recent stay.

I would like to apologise that you feel that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

Myself and the team will review our current standards and service offering with your feedback and make changes were required.

london
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Spent a night at this hotel and had no problems. Having said that booked in and went straight out so did not spend so much time at the hotel. my wife and I did have a drink at the bar while waiting for a taxi which cost £10 05 for a small glass of wine and a bottle of lager.(if you want t get a taxi in to town it will cost you £20+). We found the staff very helpful and the rooms very clean. We didn't eat at the hotel so we can not comment on the food. over all nice hotel, great views and when we stayed nice and quiet,

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
kag710,

The team and I would like to thank you for your recent online review.

Upon your next visit to the hotel and the local area, you may wish to try our new menu which will be launched later this month - there are many mouth watering delights to pick from!

The team and I pride oursevles in deliverying first class customer service and ensuring that not only do we meet our guests expectations but also that we exceed them - we were delighted with your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Ms Kuldeep Badesha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winterbourne
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Lodge On The Park
Lodge On The Park
#4 of 5 in Almondsbury

Been to Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!