“Go elsewhere”

Ranked #7 of 12 Restaurants in Winterbourne
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I had fallen for the oft-used quote "Yes it's expensive - but it's worth it" line usually attached to questions about the Taj Brasserie in Winterbourne. And to be fair when I've eaten there before it has been expensive and it has been worth it. Apart from the ridiculous levels of attention from way to many waiters for one table of 4, due to the lack of customers, it was fine.

Last weekend however it was the other end of the scale. Right from the initial welcome (or rather lack of it - we weren't even offered a drink whilst we waited for our table, despite arriving on time) it was apparent that this restaurant can't cope comfortably with the large number of diners they had in. Rude staff, a loud speaker right by the table belting out bloody Happy Birthday numerous times, and we waited well over 90 minutes for our main course - we'd been forgotten - and the service at the table was laughable. Waiters interrupted our conversation and shouted across the table to members of our party looking as if they really didn't want us to be there. On my way back from the bar I was nearly body-checked by a rushing waiter who glared at me as I jumped out of his way. My brother was visiting from abroad and he craves good quality curry in a nice environment - sadly this wasn't it!
I certainly won't be going there again - interestingly I didn't see any 'Winterbourne faces' in there that evening that I recognised... wonder if that's telling? OK the food was good but it certainly wasn't good enough to take away the bad taste left our mouths. I'd go somewhere else there's certainly enough choice.

2  Thank John S

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We have visited this restaurant on a number of occasions and have never had a bad experience. Would highly recommend this restaurant, food and staff, excellent in all cases.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We have been to the Taj Brasserie a number of times and been impressed by the food. However this was our first visit at a weekend, on arrival we had to park in a side street nearby as the car park was full.
Once inside we were shown directly to our table and ordered drinks and popodums both of which turned up relatively quickly although the popodums were greasy and slightly burnt. Unfortunately it then took another half an hour for them to take our order for main courses which even once ordered took over an hour to arrive despite us chasing the waiter several times; he only seemed interested in selling us drinks. When the main courses did arrive some of them were only lukewarm and not as flavoursome as on previous visits.
Having had our food we then had to ask three times for the bill before it arrived. My advice would be if you turn up and they look busy go somewhere else.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Amazing venue, wonderful & attentive service, and delicious food (I always pick either the honey chicken or butter chicken - both mild dishes).
I always recommend this restaurant to my friends, and this is my husband and I's date night venue-of-choice on a rare child-free evening!
It does get busy in the evenings, so I do recommend reserving a table.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Visited here in April with 5 friends. The place is beautifully decorated and doesn't feel like your "regular" indian restaurant - it feels a little more special than the norm.
Staff were friendly, food was delicious and the thing I liked best was that there were things on the menu I'd never seen anywhere else - like a Crab Bhuna that was sweet and delicious with lots of succulent crabmeat in it.
The staff are perhaps overly attentive in asking if you'd like more drinks, but it wasn't intrusive and they weren't pushy.