“Very tasty, excellent service, clean and well-decorated”
Review of Taj Brasserie

Taj Brasserie
Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Winterbourne
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 15, 2012

My husband grew up in the area and remembers the place as the local pub called the Wheatsheaf. We always stop here when we come by to visit his parents.

I was a little worried that we didn't have a reservation,but that wasn't a problem tonight. The food was quick and tasty. We weren't rushed, though. The staff was excellent, friendly. I had a lamb dish which was very good.

Recommended.

Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

The combination of recent reviews and my experience when coming in to book left me a little worried.... But no need!
Lovely as ever, we felt thoroughly spoiled and had a lovely meal with attentive waiters! In fact, I joked to my husband that they must have read the recent reviews because we were asked if we were ready fir our main course which has never happened before.
This was my 3rd visit and they've all been good. Can't recommend this restaurant highly enough. Thankyou!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I returned to this restaurant on 1st December. Upon arrival we were ushered upstairs to a very cold corner location with a plastic topped table with no tablecloth. The rice was served tepid and about 5 mins before the main courses arrived. We returned the rice and it was returned about one minute later a fraction warmer. The waiter took an age dishing up the meal but spooning onto the rim of the plate - why?? We complained to the manager about the temperature of the surroundings and the food and he promised he would sort something out for us at the end. The chicken shashliks were not generous once you took out two large tomatoes and a ton of onion! We had a coffee at the end and was expecting to see the manager before the bill arrived but no sign of him. As he waved us goodbye I reminded him of his promise to sort something out for us. He gave us a bottle of house wine, which wasn't up to much as we are not wine drinkers! I think the restaurant needs to only book in the diners it can cater for. My advice to anyone booking would be not to take a table upstairs. One tiny fan heater does nothing for the ambiance!!

1  Thank nordicgal
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was my first visit to the restaurant and I found the surroundings nice and the food was good quality. What let the restaurant down was one of the waiters who was in my opinion 'over familiar', initially I thought I had just got in the way when he was serving the food, however, by the end of the evening 3 other guests on my table commented that they felt uneasy and that the waiter was 'creepy'. Will not be a rush to return, if and when I do I will take a seat by the wall.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We decided to try the Taj at lunchtime, it had been recommended by a friend. The food was great, well presented, fresh, tasty and cooked to perfection - if you want hot & spicy just ask !The ex pub has been nicely refurbished, I would imagine in the evening it has a good atmosphere, this it was difficult to judge as we were the only customers & the many staff were very busy getting ready for the evening. Comments from others regarding the waiters - perhaps this is a cultural divide ? Clearly they are anxious to provide good service, I would certainly go again in the evening.

1  Thank Renee194