Panacea de la Montana Yoga Retreat & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Seis Playas Hotel(Huacas)(Great Value!)
$88
Hotwire.com
Hotel Nany(Brasilito)(Great Value!)
$66
Travelocity
Reserva Conchal Beach Resort, Golf & Spa(Playa Conchal)(Great Value!)
$272
$248
Hotel Brasilito(Brasilito)(Great Value!)
$44
$32
Guanacaste Lodge(Playa Flamingo)(Great Value!)
$79
$77
Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa(Playa Flamingo)(Great Value!)
$229
$129
  • Pool
Hotel Bula Bula(Playa Grande)(Great Value!)
$89
Playa Grande Park Hotel(Playa Grande)(Great Value!)
$78
$76
Travelocity
All reviewssound of howler monkeysgentle breezewonderful retreatbeautiful birdsmarydebbieteachings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I came to Panacea as a total stress-case. I left almost three weeks later, feeling like I was walking on clouds. Panacea de la Montana is more than a yoga retreat. It is a sanctuary, a family, unbelievable views, friends from all walks of life, privacy, play, soul-healing. You will stay in a private cabina, separated from other cabinas. Each cabina has its own hammock, which you ought to laze in for at least one full sunset. I took surfing lessons, went stand-up paddleboarding, did yoga every morning, rode horses, zip-lined, did water aerobics, and came back to my real life with a new perspective. Plus, I was healthy and happy again!

I must respond to the comments about the bugs--it's true, Costa Rica is a real place with real animals and insects. If you're an outdoor adventurer, you'll be fine. If you're squeamish, I suggest emailing the owners to ask which seasons are best to avoid bugs.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank citizenoftheworld81
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Our last big trip (our honeymoon) was very fancy/luxurious, which was great... but this time we wanted something a bit more rustic and natural. However, we weren't willing to sacrifice convenience and cleanliness. We thought that combination would be difficult to find, but Panacea was the perfect fit!

The food was phenomenal. My husband is quite the meat eater and never did he once have an issue with the meals being vegetarian. Actually, we purchased the cookbook and he is now set on eating primarily that way!

Some people have complained about the hike up to the cabinas. We liked it! It felt great to be active and the path up was lovely....not to mention the view from our room! If you think you'll have an issue, I'm sure you can request one of the lower rooms.

The staff is very personable, accommodating, and friendly. Mary is an incredible yoga instructor and it was wonderful starting the day with her class. Again, my husband was never interested in doing yoga until this experience...now he wants to sign up for classes!

Tamarindo is a fun, hip beach town. Listen to their recommendations for dining, the quality from place to place is noticeable! Check out some of the other beaches like Conchal for a more peaceful beach experience (ie. less people and no one selling anything).

When vacationing, our motto has always been to go somewhere new. Panacea has changed that ...I can definitely see us returning. Honestly, I wish I never had to leave in the first place!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AMHenry
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The best gift I've ever given to myself, complete relaxation - 4 days and I forgot about the craziness in the city. My daily routine went like this: AM yoga, breakfast, pool, beach, massage, hammock, dinner, hammock, sleep, repeat. When I got back, I even held on to the zen for a full week. Ahhmazing!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank clew416
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is the second of what I hope are many return visits to Panacea. The first time was very exciting as I did not have any idea of what to expect and the second was even better. My experience was beyond what words could explain. The accomodations were perfect--clean, private, breathtaking view. The food was out of this world. I had never been so amazed and satisfied with a variety of vegetarian dishes that were put together with care and creativity of the highest order. The Yoga was outstanding. Each individual was instructed to their levels and we all left feeling a million times healthier and armed with knowledge of the art. Last but not least, each one of us was able to take expeditions as we wanted or just stay in the resort to enjoy the beauty there. They managed to cater to everyones needs no matter what they were. I cannot say enough about this trip. Until next time....

Resident of Toronto

Room Tip: Just go---cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gayle N
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Panacea is not only a beautiful place, it forces you to go to a different place, mind, spirit and body. Debbie, Mary and Peter are wonderful hosts, personable, true and down to earth. The food is amazing, as are the yoga classes, reflexology, and aqua-fit classes.

The cabinas are wonderful and just secluded enough, with a great view, a hammock for relaxation.

The owners will organize all the activities and transportation for you, white water rafting, ziplining, massages, trips to the beach or to town. Although, honestly, you can just stay and completely relax in the many lounge chairs, open dining area, or by the pool with a good book. Internet would defeat the purpose of the trip and so I was very happy it is not available!

Thank you once again to Debbie, Mary and Peter. I look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends