“Mediocre hotel. Snotty desk agent hasn't improved!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cove Lakeside Resort

The Cove Lakeside Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in West Kelowna
Palm Springs, California
“Mediocre hotel. Snotty desk agent hasn't improved!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2009

Attractive hotel on the surface... excellent, up-to-date decor; all room amenities; very clean, with lovely views... all very new and shiny. What lacks is personality, character (unless that fixture of a woman at the front desk... the one with the condescending air and the smart-mouthed responses to our simple questions counts for character) and charm. Dining experiences were less than stellar for the price. Food quite bland. In fact, that is how I would characterize The Cove... bland. Won't go back, wouldn't recommend it but better luck to the next person who stays there.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank pspgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

We had a great time at Cove Lake Resort and wanted to stay longer, but my husband had to be at work on Monday. We had booked 1 bedroom suite with mountain view on sale, but we were upgraded to 2 bd, with partial lake view on arrival. The suite was large, had 2 bathrooms, great kitchen, clean. Pools and hut tub were open most of the time (pool with the slide was closed for few hours on Sat morning - I suspect for chlorine treatment) - my 8 yr old daughter could not get enough of the slide. We didn't have much time for looking into water sports etc, but we loved the walk along the lake, the park - nut farm adjacent to the resort and Quail's Winery tour (few min by car).
We didn't eat at the hotel, but I liked that they have several barbaque units around the pool area available for guests to use. I found staff to be very friendly (we were looked after young staff, didn't come in contact with the older lady many reviews complain about).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Lisa_live
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2009

I have stayed at this resort a few times for work related events, and was always impressed by the room and the views, so I decided to stay here for a long weekend.

The rooms are very nicely appointed, the kitchens have many of the basics, and the beds are super comfy! Most sides of the hotel have great views.

One thing that came up a few times by other reviewers was a particularly snotty front desk clerk, and the second we walked up to her desk we knew EXACTLY who we were dealing with. I know how stupid a rude to hotel staff people can be when they are on vacation, but I seriously do not know what the world has done to this woman to make her every response so condescending and rude, but I would strongly recommend that the manager of this resort either can this woman or put a gag on her.

I always like to look at reviews of hotels I have stayed at in the past and future to see what other travelers are saying, and I know well enough to take these reviews with a grain of salt. But when the same things comes up over and over again, you need to pay attention.

I would stay here again, and recommend it to my friends, but I would give a heads up about the front desk staff.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lisa_live
travelbctoday
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2009

We had a weekend at the Cove. Great weekend. Few challenges....
First the $60 cab ride from the airport. Far away from everything makes you farther from the city to be out.
The most disappointing part of our trip was our dinner and drinks at the restaurant in the hotel. Let me explain....Dinner.....so we ordered the special. I've never had my appetizer and dinner arrive at the same time. And seriously....5 minutes after our dinner was served....we got our desert.
A few minutes later.....we noticed there was a hair in our salad. We sent it back and never rec'd the new salad.
I don't recommend the restaurant....overall this experience at the restaurant ruined the experience at the hotel. Would I come here again.. Probably not as I expected more. Great hotel rooms, far away from city, average spa and awful restaurant.... I wouldn't recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

Have stayed here twice in the past three months while traveling to the Okanagan on business.

The rooms are actually suites and each has a kitchen, living room and laundry facilities. The rooms I stayed in were "partial lake view" both times...but the actual view was unobstructed, just perhaps set back a bit further in the complex.

The suites were incredibly comfortable and very relaxing with the wonderful view of Okanagan lake. The kitchens have granite countertops and new appliances, and it is a very relaxing place to stay (including the smaller but still nice soaker tub in the bathroom).
Our only slight downsides: the restaurant does not offer room service for breakfast, and on the occassions I was there the only breakfast option was a fairly pricely continental breakfast. The restaurant overall was overpriced for the quality.
On a couple of occasions, when I have checked in, I found a real divergence in the quality of the check in service. I have been helped several times by young-sih people...who were very polite and friendly, and twice by an older lady who was grumpy each time (though not grumpy enough to put a damper on our experience of the place)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank VCRtraveler
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

From the minute we booked we received excellent service from the Cove, the staff went out of their way to be helpful, make sure everything was perfect and were happy to help fielding our questions.

The suite was beautiful, clean, huge and the view was unbeatable. We loved every minute of our stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

Went to the Cove for a quick overnight Okanagan trip and while we had another great stay, the experience definitely went down a notch or 2 this time. We had a great suite with a full view of lake Okanagan. Like usual the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful (with the exception of the grumpy lady at checkout) and our room was good overall.

Downsides include a huge crack on the wall, a deck door that didn't properly close unless locked, a whole lot of hair in the shower and stains on the bed sheets. We're not very picky people so we didn't put up a fuss, but these are area's that should definitely be improved upon.

We had a great stay overall, but I'm only giving them 4/5 this time. The Cove will most likely be my first choice again the next time I visit the Okanagan, but I won't be so easy going if the room is in the same sort of condition the next time around.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Comfort Suites Kelowna
#7 of 34 in Kelowna

Been to The Cove Lakeside Resort? Share your experiences!