“Great value for Westbank hotel”

Holiday Inn West Kelowna
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in West Kelowna
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Great value for Westbank hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2007

Note this is a Westbank hotel not Kelowna hotel. The bridge between Westbank and Kelowna takes up to 45 minutes to get across and it will be great when the new bridge is up fall 2008.

Book this hotel especially if you are coming from the west arriving late as not having to cross the bridge is lovely late Friday or Saturday evening.

Hotel is clean, rooms good, Fogg 'n Suds restaurant is good with reasonable prices and the front desk staff seemed nice. One of the staff even went on the internet and helped us find some places we wanted to see with map info.

Would recommend staying here. Price for CAA, Seniors great--Entertainment rate best one. Phone reservevation is best.

• Liked — cheap rate, good restaurant attached
  • Disliked — too far from Kelowna attractions
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank coastlove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Seattle, Wa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2006

The hotel itself is ok. The only complaint I have is that they allow pets. But the major reason that I will not stay in this hotel again is that is is too far from Kelowna. There really is no tourist stuff in Westbank itself, we stayed here because we were going to Kelowna and Lake Okanogen. It is a 13 km drive, but the freeway and bridge that connects Westbank to Kelowna has a very bad rush hour. It took us 15-20 minutes to get to kelowna and the beaches in the morning but in the afternoon the same drive takes between 30-45 minutes and the traffic is in both directions. So if you want to drive back to Kelowna for dinner you have to leave the hotel after 6:30pm.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank theexpertvacationer

Travelers are raving about these West Kelowna hotels

Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2006

I arrive at the Westbank Holiday Inn at 2:50pm on July 30th 2006. While I stand and wait at the front desk, neither of the staff chooses to look up and greet me. I eventually ask if I may check in. At this point I am told that my room is not going to be ready until 4pm. I express my concern and let Front Desk know that this is an inconvenience and a waste of my time. However, it did not matter to either of the ladies at the Front Desk.

I decide to leave the Westbank Holiday Inn and come back later with my luggage. The Front Desk did not offer any assistance to store my luggage, or any means of compensation for my inconvenience. In fact the woman at the Front Desk looked at me, rolls her eyes and says, “What do you expect me to do? I could cry about it if you want?” At this point I left.

At 5pm I return to the Westbank Holiday Inn only to learn that my room is still not ready. Now my guest is annoyed with Front Desk and the continued inconvenience. The room was promised to be ready for 4pm. I ask to see the manager, however he is not around. I ask for the phone number of Customer Relations however, I was given the wrong number.

I eventually locate the number for Customer Relations at Intercontinental Hotels Group (ICG) and call from the lobby in front of the Front Desk. ICG Customer Relations quickly takes action with the Front Desk once ICG finds out I have been waiting 2hrs to check in and I was calling from the lobby of the hotel. Suddenly the room was available in 5 minutes!

Again, I stress that it was now past 5pm and my room was promised by 4pm. The Front Desk offers no means to compensate me for my inconvenience. Not even an apology. Yet when I confronted Front Desk about an apology, it was given (somewhat too late in my mind if I have to “ask” for one.)

It was not until ICG instructs the Front Desk to offer a free breakfast that any sort of compensation or acknowledgement of the inconvenience is made. A small gesture, but I am willing to take it as a peace offering at this point. However the next day while at breakfast I discovered it is not a free breakfast for two; it is a $20 coupon towards a breakfast!!!

This “lack of service” from Front Desk continued during my two night stay. When the rooms were made up, the maids just threw the comforter over each bed (see pictures attached). I called ICG Customer Relations again because I could not get through to Front Desk, only to express my concern that I can not get any resolution from the Front Desk or the Manager. During each incident I asked Front Desk to leave a message for the manager to contact me. However, I never heard from the Manager during my 2 nights / 3 day stay.

I spoke to ICG Customer Relations three times during my stay and finally ICG apologized to me on behalf of the Westbank Holiday Inn. ICG could not believe that the Manager did not come to see me to resolve the issue in person, as per hotel policy.

In conclusion, ICG promised to resolve the situation and contact me at a later date. I stressed to ICG that I enjoy staying at Holiday Inns; however, I would never under any circumstances stay at the Westbank Holiday Inn again. Not even with a free nights stay. Therefore, my suggestion is that if you choose to stay at the Westbank Holiday Inn, do so with caution and bring the ICG Customer Relations number with you! And if you need to call, ensure to get a reference number to keep track of the complaint and follow up.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — The lack of customer service skills at the Front Desk.
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared with Customer Relation numbers during any stay (just in case it is needed)
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank mtortington
Baton Rouge,La
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

If you are going to Kelowna or WestBank. Then this is the hotel to stay at. I only stayed there for 2 nights but it was great. The staff there are great. I had one problem on check out that was cleared right up with not problem. And I love that restaruant there.

• Liked — I love how the staff made you feel.
  • Disliked — I loved everything.
  • Stayed July 2002, traveled solo
1 Thank LarryBe
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2004

Stayed here recently for a wedding. In-laws and my husband and I stayed in a two bedroom suite with kitchenette. Fabulous room (301)... very clean, balcony that overlooked the pool, and another balcony that overlooked the front entrance. We were worried we'd be able to hear the noise from the adjoining restaurant or the swimming pool, but did not notice any noise at all!
My husband and I were in the smaller of the two bedrooms, and my only complaint is that the icemaker (right next to this room) was noticeably noisy.
Staff were great and very helpful.
Also enjoyed the pool and exercise room (but would have liked some free weights maybe? exercise room consisted of 3 treadmills and a TV).
Near many restaurants + Fogg & Suds pub/restaurant on premises.
Great value!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, B.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2004

My husband and I with twin 5 year old sons recently stayed at the Holiday Inn to attend a family wedding. The room was great and very clean although we missed having an in-room fridge (only 3 rooms apparently have fridges).
The catered functions (wedding and gift opening) had excellent food which was instantly replenished. At one point one of my sons went missing (a nightmare for all involved) and two staff physically went running from floor to floor to look for him (he ended up in an elevator - a novelty to him - and didn't know which floor to get off on). The staff was tremendous!!
Do Not Disturb signs would be nice as we had cleaning staff kept interrupting us while getting ready for the various functions.
The pool was great and the exercise room a nice addition (be sure to get keys for the machines from the front desk).
Overall however, a great stay!! The staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed August 2004
Comfort Suites Kelowna
#7 of 34 in Kelowna
Central City
Coast Capri Hotel Kelowna

Been to Holiday Inn West Kelowna? Share your experiences!