“Nasty Awful!!”

Super 8 West Kelowna BC
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in West Kelowna
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The rooms were dirty and the management was very rude!!!
We picked this hotel because it was central for tours we had booked! But the beds were dirty, and the staff was not helpful!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 90Roxy
There are newer reviews for Super 8 West Kelowna BC

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Pros – cheaper than most of the other Kelowna hotels; reasonable value
Cons – need to drive 5 – 10 mins to get to Kelowna town centre; thin walls; mediocre breakfast

This is my 2nd time staying with this hotel. We had a promotional code and paid $99/night for a standard room with 2 queen sized beds. The lobby was updated but not the standard rooms. I was told their luxury rooms were updated but I didn’t want to pay extra for it. There was no elevator and it was a bit of a workout to carry the luggage onto the 2nd floor (where we stayed).

Room was generally clean. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom was small but manageable. Walls were a bit thin though and this could be a problem if you have noisy neighbours. The hairdryer smelled burnt if you use it continuously for more than 5 mins. Breakfast is free so don’t expect too much.

Overall, this is not a bad choice if you are on a budget and don’t mind driving 5-10 mins (each direction) to Kelowna town centre.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Our experience was horrible.

First, I called 1-800-4Comfort. I did some checking on the different hotels in the area and found a Comfort Suites that I wanted to stay at. Unfortunately, once I got to that location, they said I didn't have a reservation with them but with another Comfort Inn about 30 minutes away. They were full so couldn't help us but directed us to the other hotel.

When we checked in at the new location, we were immediately harrassed. First, they claimed that our confirmation number was invalid and part of a scam. Although I made the reservation well in advance through 1-800-4choice, they argued and claimed I must have done it on the internet through some other group. I told them I booked through their main # and gave my debit card as I avoid using credit cards.

The lobby was busy, so the desk clerk gave me keys to the room and said we'd work it out after she took care of the other guests. I was traveling with my sister and her two liittle girls (6 yrs and 12 yrs). It was hot out so we started changing into our bathing suits, just to have someone come into the room. There was no knock or any other warning. Luckily I've stayed in enought rooms to put the security bracket into place. When I asked who it was, I realized it was the desk clerk who had invaded the room and said we had to pack up and leave immediately.

She claimed they didn't recieve payment and I would have to pay again as they were all booked up and couldn't give me a room wihtout securing another charge. Even when I pulled up my authorization on their provided internet system, they claimed my e-mail was false and that no reservation was there for me. When I looked over their shoulder and saw my name on their reservation list, they still refused me a room.

Since the room had a strong odor of stale smoke (and it being called a non-smoking room), them violating us by coming into the room unannounced, and their refusal to help resolve the situation, rather their continued use of the term "scam" and us being at fault, I told them I'd stay in my car before I'd ever stay with them again. If for no other reason, I really questioned our safety if they could come into the room at their pleasure.

Of course, I have a stop payment with my bank to deny this transaction. But If you want safe accommodations and want to avoid drama like this (which from start to finish lost us 4 hours of time playing in Kelowna), stay away from this place!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Beware787
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Second time we've stayed here. We find it comfortable and the desk staff are accomodating and freindly. We did notice that the cleaning staff are either new since our last trip or overworked. Bed got made and trash emptied but the bathroom was definitely not cleaned during our four nights.
The other thing that irks us is the breakfast which is billed as "Deluxe Continental". It was definitely not deluxe during our first stay last year and was even less so this time. one toaster to service several dozen guests when the best thing there is toast and toaster waffles (no NOT fresh) is completely insufficient. then the usual muffins, pastry and cereal. Fisrt day we had hard boiled eggs. Last day no eggs and the juice machine was out of order. Pitchers of juice instead?? Nope, just a sign, sorry for the inconvenience. They're sorry. Sorry and a toonie will get me a bottle of juice at the Petrocan across the street. We've stayed at hotels in the same price range where breakfast included bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, real waffle machines, fresh fruit (not dried up shrivelled oranges starting to turn black) boiled and scrambled eggs in addition to the meager fair offered here.
We'll still stay here but at 149 bucks a night for a 79 dollar room when you say deluxe breakfast you need to deiver deluxe. And don't tell us you're sorry, Show us you're sorry. It's called customer serivice.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Stayed one night on the way to Big White resort and wanted cheap, clean room to crash one night. This place fit the bill, nothing fancy but no major complaints for what it is.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank g4480
Reviewed January 30, 2011

We stayed for two nights with a small maltese dog, and therefore received a room that allows pets. While we appreciate that the Comfort Inn accepts pets, we were disappointed in our room. The carpet was badly stained and the sofa bed very shabby. A look behind the sofa bed was frightening. The actual bed itself was comfortable, but there were cigarette burns in the comforter. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2010

The room itself was very nice. Everything was very modern and up to date. The bedding was beautiful and very comfortable. Everything was given in abundance (towels, toiletries, coffee etc...), and complimentary toothpaste, toothbrush, razors etc were available if needed. Free fresh waffle breakfast every morning. It had a pool and exercise room. I felt very secure as rooms, pool, and exercise room all needed key cards. Only downside - Pop and goodies in the down stairs looby were overpriced, but that's to be expected.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Comfort Suites Kelowna
#5 of 34 in Kelowna

Been to Super 8 West Kelowna BC? Share your experiences!